• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Starting this thread for all of the posters who want to talk about their goals and progress, and who need advice or encouragement.

I currently weigh 310, and my goal is to lose 50 pounds by 2018. I joined planet fitness a week ago and I worked out today for the first time in a couple of months. 30 minutes on a treadmill and 15 minutes on a bike.

I plan to work out at least 3 days a week for at least 45 minutes. I also plan to cut down on sugars and carbs by quitting soda and potato chips.

I will join in...

5'8" - 210lbs (40+)

I just scheduled my second rt knee surgery. I need to drop about 40 lbs to give my knees a break and get a little healthier, although all of my vitals / blood work are in good shape. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so it will make things a lot more challenging.

plan - reduction of calories (esp drinking, damnit); reduction of non-complex carbs (sugars); swimming or biking for cardio

we will see how that goes.

6'2" 240 training for a Rim to River hike of the GC in April. Would like to drop about 20 pounds by then and build strength.

If there's enough interest, I'm willing to start a private group on MyFitnesspal.com for Wake folks. Even if there's not much interest to warrant such a thing, I'd still advise joining something like MFP (no, I'm not an MFP shill, it's just the only tool I've used and I find it, and the community, satisfactory) for such support. The OGB boards, for whatever pros it has, is not a supportive environment. At the very least I'm down for friending any OGB folks on MFP (EDollah).

60 years old and have been working with a personal trainer for about a year. I'm ready to discontinue my sessions with her, but not the routines. I've bought Swiss balls, smash balls, dumbbells, kettle bells, stretch bands, pull up bar, you name it. After every session with the trainer, I document each of the exercises we did and describe how they're done, so I've got a good size file of workouts. We do a lot of circuit training she referred to as a Tobata, named after the Japanese guy who invented it. There are always five different exercises, squats, curls, deadlift, etc. and you do twelve reps of each exercise. The only down time between each exercise is transition time to the next one, so only seconds. That maintains the intensity. After I complete all five, I set my timer for two minutes rest. Then I go again. During a thirty minute workout I do five complete circuits.

I've lost ten pounds, but I didn't need to lose much weight. I am definitely stronger and much more flexible. I'm getting my back to the target at the top of my golf swing again and I'm twenty yards longer with the same clubs. I'm also not nearly as fatigued after walking eighteen carrying my bag.

Make sure you focus on nutrition as well. As my trainer constantly tells me, you can't outwork a bad diet. Download an Alkalizing vs. Acidifying Food chart. Try to eat foods on the Alkalizing side of the chart as much as possible. She told me that I don't have to deny myself things I like (pizza, ice cream) but eat 80% healthy, 20% just because I like it.

5-8 235, would like to get to 210 in a year.

Last edited:
If there's enough interest, I'm willing to start a private group on MyFitnesspal.com for Wake folks. Even if there's not much interest to warrant such a thing, I'd still advise joining something like MFP (no, I'm not an MFP shill, it's just the only tool I've used and I find it, and the community, satisfactory) for such support. The OGB boards, for whatever pros it has, is not a supportive environment. At the very least I'm down for friending any OGB folks on MFP (EDollah).

This idea is a great idea. By far, the best way to lose weight is to account for your food and reduce the calories you're taking.

Good luck, everyone!

This idea is a great idea. By far, the best way to lose weight is to account for your food and reduce the calories you're taking.

Good luck, everyone!
I know that, 2017 is the year I act on it. Want to lose 15 pounds. I already lift for 30 minutes and run two miles 4 days a week, but the diet isn't good, so I'm not getting the weight loss, just maintaining. This is the year though.

I'm absolutely in on the MyFitnessPal group, and luckily I found my old Fitbit while making room to store Christmas decorations

60 years old and have been working with a personal trainer for about a year. I'm ready to discontinue my sessions with her, but not the routines. I've bought Swiss balls, smash balls, dumbbells, kettle bells, stretch bands, pull up bar, you name it. After every session with the trainer, I document each of the exercises we did and describe how they're done, so I've got a good size file of workouts. We do a lot of circuit training she referred to as a Tobata, named after the Japanese guy who invented it. There are always five different exercises, squats, curls, deadlift, etc. and you do twelve reps of each exercise. The only down time between each exercise is transition time to the next one, so only seconds. That maintains the intensity. After I complete all five, I set my timer for two minutes rest. Then I go again. During a thirty minute workout I do five complete circuits.

I've lost ten pounds, but I didn't need to lose much weight. I am definitely stronger and much more flexible. I'm getting my back to the target at the top of my golf swing again and I'm twenty yards longer with the same clubs. I'm also not nearly as fatigued after walking eighteen carrying my bag.

Make sure you focus on nutrition as well. As my trainer constantly tells me, you can't outwork a bad diet. Download an Alkalizing vs. Acidifying Food chart. Try to eat foods on the Alkalizing side of the chart as much as possible. She told me that I don't have to deny myself things I like (pizza, ice cream) but eat 80% healthy, 20% just because I like it.
How many sessions per week, and how much per session if you don't mind saying?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How many sessions per week, and how much per session if you don't mind saying?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I do three sessions per week, one 60 minute and two 30 minute sessions. The thirty minute sessions cost $45 and the 60 minute is $80. The hour-long session is 30 minutes of stretching and 30 minutes of exercises. The 30 minute workouts are just exercises.

My trainer works at a studio called Body By Design. If there is one in your area, I recommend them.

6'0" 185. Gonna try to trim to 175 then add 5 back in muscle by May. The base is there so shouldn't be too hard. Got really lazy over the last few months and started eating poorly. Need to fix it

Tell me about fitness trackers. I looked online some, Charge 2 looks like a solid one. Yay or nay?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

always down to shoot around MDMH if you don't feel like running/biking but you do feel like moving.

damn these women in my office...always bringing in their "extra" baked goods!

i mean who doesn't like Christmas cookies?

Just to follow up, with only 2 responses indicating interest, I'd say the answer to the first bolded text is no, there's not enough interest. Still, there are tons of support groups that one may find helpful on MFP, and certainly elsewhere, I'm just not as familiar with those. Again, I'll reiterate that if any of my Demon Deacon bros and sisses join MFP, hit me up at the username in the second bolded text, I log in every day (~1350 day streak).

Back