• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

I got up to a yuge 145 to 150 but I got skinny again when the cold weather hit and I stopped doing shit

I got down to 160 lbs in November but overdid things during the holiday season so I'm starting the year at 165. My goal for the new year is to drop 10 lbs of fat and add 5 lbs of muscle. I took a nutrition class last fall and applying what I learned was able to drop 22 lbs in 3 months while maintaining my muscle mass.

I got down to 160 lbs in November but overdid things during the holiday season so I'm starting the year at 165. My goal for the new year is to drop 10 lbs of fat and add 5 lbs of muscle. I took a nutrition class last fall and applying what I learned was able to drop 22 lbs in 3 months while maintaining my muscle mass.

Where did you take the class? That's something I'd be interested in.

A grown man should be a minimum 150 lbs at any height

I'm 5'8" 168. I would really like to get back down to about 150 and also get back to being able to run a 5K in less than 25 minutes (probably not an auspicious goal for many of you, but it is for me). Hitting the middle age slowdown in metabolism, along with having a sedentary job in which I am either sitting in front of a computer or driving in my car all day, doesn't help matters. I also don't watch what I eat as well as I should.

I participate in F3 here in Winston-Salem and really enjoy it when my work schedule allows me to attend (we meet during weekdays at 0530 for 45 minutes and Saturdays at 0700 for an hour). http://f3nation.com/schedules/winston-salem-nc/ Unfortunately, my work schedule has not been the least bit friendly the past 6 months.

I've got to make a concerted effort this coming year to go to F3 at least 3-4 times a week, run on days when I can't make it, and most of all, eat better.

Second F3. I started 18 months ago and fitness level is much improved. Resting hr down to hi 50's, bp down to normal range (112/78 this a.m. at doctor; down from 140/95 before F3).
F3 is totally free and inclusive. No fitness prerequisites.
If you're in Raleigh looking to tighten it up, I lead a Monday workout. PM if you're looking for a sherpa to get you started. Somebody did it for me and i would gladly do it for you. Best decision I have made.
The one thing I have learned is that my weight is 100% diet based. It sucks. Used to be able to burn it off. Football season is good for 15 lbs. Two years in a row. Sucks. Spend all spring shedding to put it back, while working out. Sadly, easiest way for me to trim down is to cut booze. Sleep better, eat better, workout more. Hate it, but it's just not worth it in the end. Again, thanks football season.

Last edited:
Second F3. I started 18 months ago and fitness level is much improved. Resting hr down to hi 50's, bp down to normal range (112/78 this a.m. at doctor; down from 140/95 before F3).
F3 is totally free and inclusive. No fitness prerequisites.
If you're in Raleigh looking to tighten it up, I lead a Monday workout. PM if you're looking for a sherpa to get you started. Somebody did it for me and i would gladly do it for you. Best decision I have made.
The one thing I have learned is that my weight is 100% diet based. It sucks. Used to be able to burn it off. Football season is good for 15 lbs. Two years in a row. Sucks. Spend all spring shedding to put it back, while working out. Sadly, easiest way for me to trim down is to cut booze. Sleep better, eat better, workout more. Hate it, but it's just not worth it in the end. Again, thanks football season.

I'm starting F3 this Saturday.

I'm 5'8" 168. I would really like to get back down to about 150 and also get back to being able to run a 5K in less than 25 minutes (probably not an auspicious goal for many of you, but it is for me). Hitting the middle age slowdown in metabolism, along with having a sedentary job in which I am either sitting in front of a computer or driving in my car all day, doesn't help matters. I also don't watch what I eat as well as I should.

I participate in F3 here in Winston-Salem and really enjoy it when my work schedule allows me to attend (we meet during weekdays at 0530 for 45 minutes and Saturdays at 0700 for an hour). http://f3nation.com/schedules/winston-salem-nc/ Unfortunately, my work schedule has not been the least bit friendly the past 6 months.

I've got to make a concerted effort this coming year to go to F3 at least 3-4 times a week, run on days when I can't make it, and most of all, eat better.

Which group are you in? I'm going to Impossible Situation at Hanes Park this Saturday. Because I live in Clemmons and work in Jamestown, I can't really make it to weekday groups. My BIL is big into F3 in Charlotte and recommended Impossible Situation over Dawg Pound that meets at Tanglewood.

I know e dudes who started F3 here in Charlotte and lots of dudes have invited me. When I explain to them that I don't run anymore at all they stop bugging me. Plus I don't need all that man on man support system. Also I just crushed it at the gym on a self directed workout. The trainers were nodding their heads and asking for tips.

Never heard of F3. Looked it up and it seems really cultish.

It's another group based support exercise regimen, except the chance for injury is probably a lot lower than crossfit.

I have lots of friends who swear by it.

They don't have it in Chicago. I'd have to start my own sect.

One Wake grad started it. It's not impossible that another could also show some leadership.

F3 Raleigh hosts a workout for addicts in recovery. Free of charge, every week. Guy from Wake heads it up. They also support Haven House, which provides support to at-risk youth. Www.havenhousenc.org Last year, the F3 Christmas donations bought round trip bus fare for the entire year, which includes a gang outreach and juvenile diversion program. Very positive group, if you're into that.

Last edited:
I hope that each and every one of you taking on a new endeavor to improve fitness for the new year meets your goals. That said, I can't wait for the resolution crew to give up at my gym. From about Jan 15 to Dec 31 in a given year, I probably wait about 10 minutes total to use a squat rack. Today was double that while some dude did shrugs. At least he wasn't doing curls.

Never heard of F3. Looked it up and it seems really cultish.

Excuse No. 5: “This sounds like some sort of cult.”

Back when our father’s fathers ran the world, a bunch of men gathering at odd hours to engage in common effort for the common good and with an eye toward the larger improvement of the world around them and the raising up of men to be leaders was simply plain vanilla, old-fashioned civic engagement, and it was what grown-ass men did (as opposed to forming My Little Pony collector clubs or going to Co-Ed Book Club night). If society has moved so far toward atomization and self-absorption that free assembly and group pride qualifies as cultish behavior, then so be it — but we will be the ones, in the words of the late William Buckley, standing “athwart history, yelling stop.”

Dredd: Uhhhh, actually it is kind of a cult, but I’m thinking it’s the good kind of cult like the Blue Oyster Cult. Not the kind of cult where you end up with tin foil on your head or castrating yourself to get a ride on the Hale Bopp Comet or drinking Hot-Ade in French Guyana.

Excuse No. 5: “This sounds like some sort of cult.”

Back when our father’s fathers ran the world, a bunch of men gathering at odd hours to engage in common effort for the common good and with an eye toward the larger improvement of the world around them and the raising up of men to be leaders was simply plain vanilla, old-fashioned civic engagement, and it was what grown-ass men did (as opposed to forming My Little Pony collector clubs or going to Co-Ed Book Club night). If society has moved so far toward atomization and self-absorption that free assembly and group pride qualifies as cultish behavior, then so be it — but we will be the ones, in the words of the late William Buckley, standing “athwart history, yelling stop.”

Dredd: Uhhhh, actually it is kind of a cult, but I’m thinking it’s the good kind of cult like the Blue Oyster Cult. Not the kind of cult where you end up with tin foil on your head or castrating yourself to get a ride on the Hale Bopp Comet or drinking Hot-Ade in French Guyana.

Dredd's a Law Deac.

Where did you take the class? That's something I'd be interested in.

The program I did is called the next 56 days. It's an 8 week class that meets once per week. I took my class in Greensboro but they have them all over the Triad. I can get you some more details about when/where new classes are starting if you like.

While I can't believe I did it a few years ago, but getting up at 5 am is great for avoiding New Years Resolution folks. I would say getting on that schedule was and is still tough, but for those looking to start or work on a training regimen I'd recommend trying it. It's a great feeling being done with your workout by 7 am and it doesn't allow end of day fatigue or other obligations to get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fit bit Charge 2 is pretty good. I am an early adopter and this is their best model at this class. Thin ones are too flimsy and the faux applease watch is too much. I broke down and bought the WiFi scale that goes with. A toy, but good for consistent accountability since it syncs.

I know e dudes who started F3 here in Charlotte and lots of dudes have invited me. When I explain to them that I don't run anymore at all they stop bugging me. Plus I don't need all that man on man support system. Also I just crushed it at the gym on a self directed workout. The trainers were nodding their heads and asking for tips.

Are you offering training tips?

Back