• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

Excuse No. 5: “This sounds like some sort of cult.”

Back when our father’s fathers ran the world, a bunch of men gathering at odd hours to engage in common effort for the common good and with an eye toward the larger improvement of the world around them and the raising up of men to be leaders was simply plain vanilla, old-fashioned civic engagement, and it was what grown-ass men did (as opposed to forming My Little Pony collector clubs or going to Co-Ed Book Club night). If society has moved so far toward atomization and self-absorption that free assembly and group pride qualifies as cultish behavior, then so be it — but we will be the ones, in the words of the late William Buckley, standing “athwart history, yelling stop.”

Dredd: Uhhhh, actually it is kind of a cult, but I’m thinking it’s the good kind of cult like the Blue Oyster Cult. Not the kind of cult where you end up with tin foil on your head or castrating yourself to get a ride on the Hale Bopp Comet or drinking Hot-Ade in French Guyana.

Sounds pretty defensive.

I'm 6'0 205 lbs and hope to get down to 185 lbs by the end of 2017. The only problem is I eat pizza/wings 3-5 times a week, drink just about every night and, even though I have a room in my home dedicated to working out, I haven't worked out in over a year.

Maybe this thread of random fatties like me will be what pushes me to that NEXT LEVEL though. Good luck to everyone

Sounds like me. 6'0" hair under 200. Don't eat great and enjoy nightly adult beverages. Working on improving the former and limiting the latter. Started more regular workouts.

I hope that each and every one of you taking on a new endeavor to improve fitness for the new year meets your goals. That said, I can't wait for the resolution crew to give up at my gym. From about Jan 15 to Dec 31 in a given year, I probably wait about 10 minutes total to use a squat rack. Today was double that while some dude did shrugs. At least he wasn't doing curls.

Competitively Historic. Sneaky work. Pos.

Are you offering training tips?

Start with 15 Kettlebell swings, about 40 lbs.
Follow that up with 15 burpees.
Countdown: 14 KB swings, 14 burpees, 13 KB swings, 13 burpees . . . 1 KB swing, 1 burpee.

Also, follow Men's Health on Facebook for exercises to keep your workouts out of a rut.

Just got done with my first workout of the new year! I'm not going to be one of those people who give up by February! - 10 min on the treadmill, 40 minutes on the stairclimber (500 calories!), and then I did 3 reps of 10 on the arm/chest machine circuit
74a6c63e2fc5e63b67dd60e3b4647b68.jpg

Got my Fitbit synced and I will be joining the ogb group soon

Reactions: DG3
Start with 15 Kettlebell swings, about 40 lbs.
Follow that up with 15 burpees.
Countdown: 14 KB swings, 14 burpees, 13 KB swings, 13 burpees . . . 1 KB swing, 1 burpee.

Also, follow Men's Health on Facebook for exercises to keep your workouts out of a rut.

Thanks but looking for something a bit more intense :D

Doing that list of burpees will be way more intense than most people can handle.

Our families schedule is crazy for January and February, so neither my wife nor I can do our normal schedule of gym, running/biking, etc.

Started getting up at 5:00 and using T25 with her in the morning before the craziness starts.

Only downside is I woke up with chest congestion this morning and after the workout, I feel like my lungs are the size of a baseball.

and how do you join an OGB group on fitbit?

Our families schedule is crazy for January and February, so neither my wife nor I can do our normal schedule of gym, running/biking, etc.

Started getting up at 5:00 and using T25 with her in the morning before the craziness starts.

Only downside is I woke up with chest congestion this morning and after the workout, I feel like my lungs are the size of a baseball.

and how do you join an OGB group on fitbit?

TSY and a couple others gave their e-mail addresses for MFP and/or Fitbit. I'm down with joining the Fitbit group. I'm already in a Workweek Hustle group on Fitbit.

If anyone wants to find me on MFP, my username is tsywake. For fitbit its travis(dot)s(dot)young(@)gmail.com

I've been going to see a trainer since the first of November, and while I've not lost any weight, my clothes fit differently and my endurance is much better.

I'm in - on Fitbit

Cassre01 [at] gmail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent y'all a friend invite on Fitbit. michaeldavidperry [at] yahoo

I went snowshoeing (4 miles, carrying baby) on Sunday and Skiing yesterday, but this morning was my first "workout" of the year - SQUATZ. Felt good to start the new year off under the bar.

5'10", 188 waking up on Christmas Day. Down to 181 this morning. Shooting for 160 by early March to kick off race season.

The secret for me is simply saying no to shitty food and eating real food that grows out of the dirt. The workouts don't really seem to make much difference since I get in about 6 hours a week no matter what. Although that may change as I normally begin structured training a few days a week on the Wahoo trainer. Those 5 to 20 minute more intense/measured efforts over an hour or two on the trainer seem to really put the fitness into overdrive and motivate me to eat even healthier as that's very important to recovery for me.

But let me say it again: the secret to a smaller ass is in the food.

Good grief the daily summary on MFP is interesting. A day outside eating light foods: You'll be at x weight in 5 weeks. Stay inside, skip exercise, have some pizza, wings, and watch bowl games (nothing compared to the good old days) and it comes back with in 5 weeks like this the foundation of your house will begin to give way.

Which group are you in? I'm going to Impossible Situation at Hanes Park this Saturday. Because I live in Clemmons and work in Jamestown, I can't really make it to weekday groups. My BIL is big into F3 in Charlotte and recommended Impossible Situation over Dawg Pound that meets at Tanglewood.

There really isn't a group such that each location is separate and insulated from the other. In Winston-Salem, there are at least two, and in some cases three or four, workouts in separate locations each day. Each location/workout has a different general theme/concept. A lot depends on what you want out of your 45 minutes/1 hour -- distance running vs. sprints vs. strength/core, etc. A lot of folks mix and match, distance running on one day followed by a strength/core workout the next in which you may not travel very far, but you do a bazillion pushups of all kinds, pull-ups, squats, etc. Each workout is run by a F3 member who endeavors to be creative, so no two workouts are ever alike.

On Saturdays, I either hit Purgatory at Speas Elementary or Impossible Situation at Hanes Park. Dawg Pound at Tanglewood is generally a distance running workout, broken up with some Tabata.

Given your location in Clemmons, you might also consider Parliament (strength and core) on Tuesdays at Southwest Elementary and/or Bells and Whistles (kettlebells and sprints) at Reagan High School on Wednesdays.

This Saturday is the 3-year anniversary of F3 in Winston-Salem, so everyone will be converging at Impossible Situation at Hanes Park on Saturday morning.

PM me if you have any questions.

If anyone wants to find me on MFP, my username is tsywake. For fitbit its travis(dot)s(dot)young(@)gmail.com

I've been going to see a trainer since the first of November, and while I've not lost any weight, my clothes fit differently and my endurance is much better.

There really isn't a group such that each location is separate and insulated from the other. In Winston-Salem, there are at least two, and in some cases three or four, workouts in separate locations each day. Each location/workout has a different general theme/concept. A lot depends on what you want out of your 45 minutes/1 hour -- distance running vs. sprints vs. strength/core, etc. A lot of folks mix and match, distance running on one day followed by a strength/core workout the next in which you may not travel very far, but you do a bazillion pushups of all kinds, pull-ups, squats, etc. Each workout is run by a F3 member who endeavors to be creative, so no two workouts are ever alike.

On Saturdays, I either hit Purgatory at Speas Elementary or Impossible Situation at Hanes Park. Dawg Pound at Tanglewood is generally a distance running workout, broken up with some Tabata.

Given your location in Clemmons, you might also consider Parliament (strength and core) on Tuesdays at Southwest Elementary and/or Bells and Whistles (kettlebells and sprints) at Reagan High School on Wednesdays.

This Saturday is the 3-year anniversary of F3 in Winston-Salem, so everyone will be converging at Impossible Situation at Hanes Park on Saturday morning.

PM me if you have any questions.

Appreciate the info! Right now, my schedule will really only allow for Saturday morning. I get up at 5:00 AM during the week as it is now so I can be at work in Jamestown by 7:30 AM, I don't really have time to hit a weekday morning session. My plan is to learn some exercises that I can do at home in the evenings during the week and continue going to Saturday sessions.

In!

6'0" - 200lbs (50+)

Goal to get to target 185lbs by time of dr's physical in 4/2017 by cutting back on junk food and working out at my "old school" home gym- Nordic Trak, Soloflex and treadmill. :)

Can someone add me to the Fitbit group?

Back