• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

I went snowshoeing (4 miles, carrying baby) on Sunday and Skiing yesterday, but this morning was my first "workout" of the year - SQUATZ. Felt good to start the new year off under the bar.

A variation on squats is to do them with as much weight as you're comfortable with while standing the flat side of a Basu ball. Use a smash ball or kettle bell and hold it under your chin.

Last edited:
Those of us on Fitbit, are we going to start a Work Week Hustle challenge each week?

A variation on squats is to do them with as much weight as you're comfortable with while standing the flat side of a Basu ball. Use a smash ball or kettle bell and hold it under your chin.

No no no no, a million times no.

I happened to see this from a guy I follow yesterday that sums up bosu squats.

sqq2cW6.png

The barbell squat is a power move, there are other things to do for balance.

I got a Fitbit (Charge 2) last weekend - really enjoying it. The app is great - I can track calories burned and also pre-log meals that I know I'm going to eat. This really has helped to make smarter choices with snacks and alcohol. Certainly also helps with motivation. I'm new to it though - how do you find the group that is being discussed? I only see the option to add friends.

Reactions: ITK
I got a Fitbit (Charge 2) last weekend - really enjoying it. The app is great - I can track calories burned and also pre-log meals that I know I'm going to eat. This really has helped to make smarter choices with snacks and alcohol. Certainly also helps with motivation. I'm new to it though - how do you find the group that is being discussed? I only see the option to add friends.

Just adding friends right now. Assuming we will do one of the challenges and invite those on the board interested that have friended each other.

Reactions: ITK

lulz, nope. That's a terrible idea.

No no no no, a million times no.

The barbell squat is a power move, there are other things to do for balance.

Yeah, this. Stability through strength.

6 ft 195 lbs currently. Got down to 182 pre-football season. I usually gain between 10-15 pounds during the football season each year then I drop all of it just in time for the next football season. It is an awful cycle that i can't seem to shake. I got a fitbit charge 2 for Christmas. Maybe this is the year to nix this trend

lulz, nope. That's a terrible idea.

Yeah, this. Stability through strength.

I didn't say replacement for, I said variation on. I still do barbell squats. It's amazing how much more stable I am on the basu, though, than I was a year ago. Great exercise! As far as dangerous, do it with a smash ball. If you feel you can't stay on the basu, lose the fucking ball.

I didn't say replacement for, I said variation on. I still do barbell squats. It's amazing how much more stable I am on the basu, though, than I was a year ago. Great exercise! As far as dangerous, do it with a smash ball. If you feel you can't stay on the basu, lose the fucking ball.

There's very little practical application for squats on a bosu ball and higher risk for injury. In basically all sports, you're feet are generally on a stable surface and any instability is in the upper body.

From a muscular standpoint you're engaging your muscles for stability which means they're not being engaged for the actually movement (squatting) so in that sense you're cheating yourself.

Bosu balls are a relic of 90s fitness "nonsense." Nobody that's truly strong is squatting on a bosu ball because it's ineffective and unsafe.

I've been around some world class Olympic lifters and their gyms and no bosu balls were in use.

Seriously, just focus on heavy barbell squats and ditch the bosu ball.

If you want a professional take on it go here:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/bosu-ball-the-good-bad-and-ugly

Damn, really had to push through that one. 30 minutes of pickup ball with Kory, 15 min on the treadmill, 20 on the stair climber, 15 on the bike, 3 sets of 10 on the arm/chest circuit

Damn, really had to push through that one. 30 minutes of pickup ball with Kory, 15 min on the treadmill, 20 on the stair climber, 15 on the bike, 3 sets of 10 on the arm/chest circuit

legggooo

6'0 175. On 3 days without smokes. Last time I quit I went from 170 to 215 in like 6 months. Main goal here is to not get fat again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really isn't a group such that each location is separate and insulated from the other. In Winston-Salem, there are at least two, and in some cases three or four, workouts in separate locations each day. Each location/workout has a different general theme/concept. A lot depends on what you want out of your 45 minutes/1 hour -- distance running vs. sprints vs. strength/core, etc. A lot of folks mix and match, distance running on one day followed by a strength/core workout the next in which you may not travel very far, but you do a bazillion pushups of all kinds, pull-ups, squats, etc. Each workout is run by a F3 member who endeavors to be creative, so no two workouts are ever alike.

On Saturdays, I either hit Purgatory at Speas Elementary or Impossible Situation at Hanes Park. Dawg Pound at Tanglewood is generally a distance running workout, broken up with some Tabata.

Given your location in Clemmons, you might also consider Parliament (strength and core) on Tuesdays at Southwest Elementary and/or Bells and Whistles (kettlebells and sprints) at Reagan High School on Wednesdays.

This Saturday is the 3-year anniversary of F3 in Winston-Salem, so everyone will be converging at Impossible Situation at Hanes Park on Saturday morning.

PM me if you have any questions.

My BIL is coming up from Charlotte to go with me Saturday. I'll be the fatty on the side getting CPR...

Lot of 5'8 people in this thread (including me), ranging from 135 to 235. I'm topping 180 after Christmas cookies. My ideal is probably 165, but I've completely given up on trying to exercise since I had kids.

There's very little practical application for squats on a bosu ball and higher risk for injury. In basically all sports, you're feet are generally on a stable surface and any instability is in the upper body.

From a muscular standpoint you're engaging your muscles for stability which means they're not being engaged for the actually movement (squatting) so in that sense you're cheating yourself.

Bosu balls are a relic of 90s fitness "nonsense." Nobody that's truly strong is squatting on a bosu ball because it's ineffective and unsafe.

I've been around some world class Olympic lifters and their gyms and no bosu balls were in use.

Seriously, just focus on heavy barbell squats and ditch the bosu ball.

If you want a professional take on it go here:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/bosu-ball-the-good-bad-and-ugly

You guys totally missed my point, but that's fine. I am not arguing the efficacy of bar bell squats versus squats on the Basu.

6 ft 195 lbs currently. Got down to 182 pre-football season. I usually gain between 10-15 pounds during the football season each year then I drop all of it just in time for the next football season. It is an awful cycle that i can't seem to shake. I got a fitbit charge 2 for Christmas. Maybe this is the year to nix this trend

Ditto. Posted same thing.

Back