• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

VaTech had two O-line starters hit the portal. Both were 4 star recruits. I doubt they even think about Wake. However, big losses for Fuentes.

We will rarely win close games if the defense is not a lot better. It puts to much pressure on the offense to score. It’s not the first line of athletes playing defense who need to be better. It’s the 2nd and 3rd level. Injuries point this out every year. Every program has injuries, it’s the talent that can step in that makes a difference.

We will rarely win close games if the defense is not a lot better. It puts to much pressure on the offense to score. It’s not the first line of athletes playing defense who need to be better. It’s the 2nd and 3rd level. Injuries point this out every year. Every program has injuries, it’s the talent that can step in that makes a difference.

Says Deacon fans from the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's...

Quality depth has always been an issue at Wake. Very few recruits arrive "ready to play." Guys Wake recruits need development, strength, weight, technique. Some guys develop better and go further than others. It is difficult to look at a bunch of skinny 16 and 17 year old kids and figure out which ones can and will develop the technique, size and strength to play and start in four years.

"Great potential is man's biggest burden." -Charlie Brown.

Finding those kids with great potential and then helping kids reach the maximum extent of that potential are the two biggest tasks of football coaches at Wake.

Those who have succeeded have mostly moved to places where it is easier. Those who have not, have mostly disappeared from coaching.

Wake has success when the identification and development produce a cadre of really good players, and enough of them stay healthy a whole season.

Losing DJ Sims hurts. His hudle film is crazy good. He looks like another Donovan Greene. Zavier Simpson isn’t nearly as athletic. Might be a poor man’s Surratt. Good hands but not fast at all. At least our other 2 WR recruits have good size and speed.

Losing DJ Sims hurts. His hudle film is crazy good. He looks like another Donovan Greene. Zavier Simpson isn’t nearly as athletic. Might be a poor man’s Surratt. Good hands but not fast at all. At least our other 2 WR recruits have good size and speed.

Zavier Simpson is also a PWO

And even then, I wouldn't expect much. Iowa State is ranked in the 50s right now even after their great season (which could still end up being a 4 loss season, but right now is pretty great).

Because of DC's exceptional personal talent I tend to think it would make a BIG difference if he can get the defensive side of the ball performing consistently at a higher level. It works for Clemson with Venables (although many levels removed) so why not at WF when you have such a very good to great Head Coach? It may very well be true that more money for salaries is an impediment. I suspect the primary check writers prefer to see some Top 15s knocked off before changing the compensation structure much more.

Boom! That's a good commitment.

Our QB room for the foreseeable future is fire!

Picked up a commit from a '21 receiver. Horatio Fields from Georgia. Outside receiver.

I am surprised Wake filled all their spots. I would have expected the staff to hold a few spots for transfers, grad or regular.

DB Room just picked up Isaiah Wingfield, GT CB from Harvard. Preseason 1st team Ivy-League before their season was cancelled. 2 years of eligibility at Wake and will enroll in the summer.

Last edited:
DB Room just picked up Isaiah Wingfield, GT CB from Harvard. Preseason 1st team Ivy-League before their season was cancelled. 2 years of eligibility at Wake and will enroll in the summer.

This guy has the profile that I was wanting to see for the last few scholarships. He must be pretty smart, as several ivies were after him in 2016/2017.

Just watched the Horatio Fields hudl video. Good lort! How is that dude not a 4 star? He is D Greene level athlete and looks more polished as a WR.

Just watched the Horatio Fields hudl video. Good lort! How is that dude not a 4 star? He is D Greene level athlete and looks more polished as a WR.

Was sick at loss of DJ Sims but Fields’ senior year film makes me feel a bit better. Fields is 6’3” and has very good speed. Coach Higgins is the best.

He may have been off everybody's radar. He has no star rating and no 40 time on 247.

Was sick at loss of DJ Sims but Fields’ senior year film makes me feel a bit better. Fields is 6’3” and has very good speed. Coach Higgins is the best.

Yeah, between Fields and Christian Greene (Rushed for over 1000yds as a QB) Wake has some athletes at WR in this class. Wake signed 4 guys and they are all at least 6'-2".

Back