• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

So our d line could* be even better next year, given a couple of the guys make a leap. Bothroyd, Jacorey Johns, Miles Fox, Kamara(he wasn't listed on senior day list, so I'm thinking he could come back), Tyler Willams and then guys like Jasheen Davis, McCollum, Dion Bergan, Royce Francis...Geez, if all of those guys are back then d line should be a big strength for us,.

Agree. With most or all of these guys coming back we should have a very good 2 deep Dline. Their performance didn’t match my expectations this season. I’m hoping it will next season.

Also, looks like there's a good chance Masterson and Ja'Sir return next season. If that happens then we will finally be pretty deep at defensive back. With the emergence of Carson as a potential future star, and the steady play of Nick Anderson, the only question mark would be if Nassir Greer can make a full recovery. If Greer is healthy then our DB room is stocked full of talent and depth.

I think we are watching different teams. Returning starters is not always a good thing. Our back 7 have been abused year after year. Need overhaul of talent.

I think we are watching different teams. Returning starters is not always a good thing. Our back 7 have been abused year after year. Need overhaul of talent.

Secondary Next Year:

Starters:
CB: Taylor (who has developed into a great corner)
CB: Carson - good potential for a freshman
FS: Nasir Greer (when healthy is great)
SS: Traveon Redd - if returning as a 6th year senior

Bench:
Safeties: Rucker, Davis, Andersen
Corners: Keith, Garnes, Roberts

This is a more than serviceable secondary in the ACC

Linebackers do seem to be a concern, but moving Masterson back down to Rover will help. Masterson, Williams, Monroe, and Smenda is not a great corps, but if DL is a strength and the secondary remains healthy, can be covered for.

I don't think the defense will be dominant, but we're is ok shape if all these return.

Ja'Sir on Conner's updated list of people getting recognized for senior day, so might not be returning

Yeah Ja'Sir was a notable added entry to the list, but Claw said it doesn't mean he isn't coming back. Any of them in question are going to be on that list.

That updated list is definitely more in line with how I figured it'd look. Almost a too-good-to-be-true list to begin the week with, basically only contributor they'd be losing would be Boogie. I can't stress enough that it's a fluid situation for the seniors deciding to graduate and move on, to head to NFL or to transfer. I figured those decisions would be made, or close to being solidified, this week; Clawson made it sound like it'll be more like January when those answers come.

I'll have a "My Take" of sorts on Signing Day tomorrow.

One edit to Thunderbolt's post: Clawson said JJ Roberts is going to be a safety moving forward. They've had him at CB until 3 weeks ago and moved him to safety and have been pleased.

If there's a good corner out there as a grad transfer, I'd be all in favor of bringing him in.

Secondary Next Year:

Starters:
CB: Taylor (who has developed into a great corner)
CB: Carson - good potential for a freshman
FS: Nasir Greer (when healthy is great)
SS: Traveon Redd - if returning as a 6th year senior

Bench:
Safeties: Rucker, Davis, Andersen
Corners: Keith, Garnes, Roberts

This is a more than serviceable secondary in the ACC

Linebackers do seem to be a concern, but moving Masterson back down to Rover will help. Masterson, Williams, Monroe, and Smenda is not a great corps, but if DL is a strength and the secondary remains healthy, can be covered for.

I don't think the defense will be dominant, but we're is ok shape if all these return.

along wih Conor's edit, would put Keith as a S not a CB. Keith came in as a Corner and it looked like they did the same thing they did with Roberts with him and he was very good before breaking his thumb.

As for Garnes, where he goes depends on Redd/Masterson imo. One of the main reasons they moved Masterson to S was due to the fact that Redd was playing at such a high level at rover that they couldn't afford to take him off the field. If Masterson leaves then I'd assume they put Garnes in the S rotation and let rover just be set between Redd/AJ Williams/Ranson(?). If Redd leaves and Masterson stays then I'd assume Masterson moves back down to Rover and Garnes fights for time at a high safety. If both leave you almost have to put him at Rover to have any sort of depth there. Given how Redd has looked at Rover I don't really see a reason that they move him from there and if you think speed is the issue back there(which is has been as they've been down a million safeties) Redd doesn't fix that issue.

Talent at LB is fine, just really 2 questions there: who's going to be the coach there next year and what can they do to use Monroe/Jones/Hudson more(re: better) and keep Smenda and Ja'Cquez if he returns healthy and fresh. Been a very anomalous year for that group

I was just looking at the recruiting class rankings. Besides the the top rated classes that we’re all aware of - Bama, OSU, LSU, UGA - I went down the list to check out the military academies. They’re not highly rated, but boy do they have big classes.
Navy - 68
Air Force - 57
Army - 87

Fwiw, Wake is tied with Navy as the 67th best class

along wih Conor's edit, would put Keith as a S not a CB. Keith came in as a Corner and it looked like they did the same thing they did with Roberts with him and he was very good before breaking his thumb.

As for Garnes, where he goes depends on Redd/Masterson imo. One of the main reasons they moved Masterson to S was due to the fact that Redd was playing at such a high level at rover that they couldn't afford to take him off the field. If Masterson leaves then I'd assume they put Garnes in the S rotation and let rover just be set between Redd/AJ Williams/Ranson(?). If Redd leaves and Masterson stays then I'd assume Masterson moves back down to Rover and Garnes fights for time at a high safety. If both leave you almost have to put him at Rover to have any sort of depth there. Given how Redd has looked at Rover I don't really see a reason that they move him from there and if you think speed is the issue back there(which is has been as they've been down a million safeties) Redd doesn't fix that issue.

Talent at LB is fine, just really 2 questions there: who's going to be the coach there next year and what can they do to use Monroe/Jones/Hudson more(re: better) and keep Smenda and Ja'Cquez if he returns healthy and fresh. Been a very anomalous year for that group

FWIW, Masterson's little brother also committed yesterday as a PWO. Masterson told Les it would be a "crazy opportunity" to play with his brother next year. I am not saying that this is a firm commitment, but looks like he is leaning towards coming back.

FWIW, Masterson's little brother also committed yesterday as a PWO. Masterson told Les it would be a "crazy opportunity" to play with his brother next year. I am not saying that this is a firm commitment, but looks like he is leaning towards coming back.

I'm operating on the assumption he's back but it's 2020 and I can't rule anything out anymore

2021 class is currently ranked #67 by 24/7, last in the ACC.

We have not made any real recruiting gains with the string of bowls and in-state success. We do a lot with what we get, good evaluation and development, but we have not raised our recruiting footprint much if any. Disappointing for me anyway. Should not be DFL.

2021 class is currently ranked #67 by 24/7, last in the ACC.

And pretty much last in the P5 too if you're looking at it by quality and not by quantity. Purdue, Texas Tech, and Illinois are behind us, but have a smaller class. Tech in particular has an 11 man class with 2 four star kids.

But this isn't new. Our recruiting is much better than it used to be, but that is still going to land us on the bottom tier of the P5 schools, and there really isn't that much of a difference between, say, schools ranked in the 50s and schools in the 60s and 70s.

Recruiting will always be judged by the studs, and obviously the consistently best recruiters are the most consistently good teams, but each class needs to be analyzed ultimately by whether or not it addressed the needs of the team at the time. I also think recruiting services need to have 2 rankings for their teams. One like it currently is, and one an average rating of the commitments since recruiting class sizes vary considerably.

We have not made any real recruiting gains with the string of bowls and in-state success. We do a lot with what we get, good evaluation and development, but we have not raised our recruiting footprint much if any. Disappointing for me anyway. Should not be DFL.

Until we start knocking off Top 15 ranked teams at least once per year we're not going to increase our numbers in seats or numbers in recruiting. In state recruiting has dropped off wth the ascendency of UNCCH, State and App all three of which are ranked whereas WF is not. DC needs to strengthen the program on the defensive side of the ball in a big way if we're ever going to make the next move.

And pretty much last in the P5 too if you're looking at it by quality and not by quantity. Purdue, Texas Tech, and Illinois are behind us, but have a smaller class. Tech in particular has an 11 man class with 2 four star kids.

But this isn't new. Our recruiting is much better than it used to be, but that is still going to land us on the bottom tier of the P5 schools, and there really isn't that much of a difference between, say, schools ranked in the 50s and schools in the 60s and 70s.

Recruiting will always be judged by the studs, and obviously the consistently best recruiters are the most consistently good teams, but each class needs to be analyzed ultimately by whether or not it addressed the needs of the team at the time. I also think recruiting services need to have 2 rankings for their teams. One like it currently is, and one an average rating of the commitments since recruiting class sizes vary considerably.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to explain this to me in exactly this manner.

Back