• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Signed 18 recruits this morning. At last check there were 16 players planning to go through the Senior Day ceremony. One open scholarship is going to go to Andersen, and possibly another Jackson Hensley. We had 19 commitments this cycle before one decommitted. I am sure someone has a better idea about scholarship numbers than I do, but believe the staff will try to add some more recruits/transfers after signing day. Safety or Corners who could come in and start next season would be nice additions.

There were two guys who entered the transfer portal in the last few weeks.

Safety, Chelen Garnes, transferred to the Deacs from Navy. He sat out last season but is eligible to suit up for us this year. Looks like he should be serviceable at the least. He's only played 2 years of college football. Had a couple interceptions last season and 11 tackles. Also a great special teams plater.

Something strange here. 6 new offers in the day he decommitted. Two more notable ones are Air Force and u*NC.

Most likely he was talking to others during the past month or so while he was ‘committed’ to Wake.
Beyond our control and not illegal, but yeah, a little strange.

Also, looks like there's a good chance Masterson and Ja'Sir return next season. If that happens then we will finally be pretty deep at defensive back. With the emergence of Carson as a potential future star, and the steady play of Nick Anderson, the only question mark would be if Nassir Greer can make a full recovery. If Greer is healthy then our DB room is stocked full of talent and depth.

What will the NCAA allow for scholarships next year? Seems like we may have more than 85 for football.

I believe it is existing seniors, redshirt seniors and grad transfers do not count towards the 85 scholly limit. Junior and redshirt juniors - while they do not lose a year of eligibility, count against the 85 scholly limit.

I believe it is existing seniors, redshirt seniors and grad transfers do not count towards the 85 scholly limit. Junior and redshirt juniors - while they do not lose a year of eligibility, count against the 85 scholly limit.

That's what I recall reading too. So, more that 85 possible on scholarship. However, somehow we have to pay for them. With coaches salary being trimmed this year, a challenge.

Let's talk about 24/25 year old Mile Fox next year effin up some 18/19 year old's. That should be pretty cool to watch. Also, I totally made up his age but it's gotta be somewhere close to that come next season.

It almost constitutes old man strength. At least relative to comparing him with Freshmen and Sophomores.

Let's talk about 24/25 year old Mile Fox next year effin up some 18/19 year old's. That should be pretty cool to watch. Also, I totally made up his age but it's gotta be somewhere close to that come next season.

He had to have been 18 in his freshman year 2015 so he’ll be at least 24 next season.

He’s ACC DL of the week this week.

He had to have been 18 in his freshman year 2015 so he’ll be at least 24 next season.

He’s ACC DL of the week this week.

So our d line could* be even better next year, given a couple of the guys make a leap. Bothroyd, Jacorey Johns, Miles Fox, Kamara(he wasn't listed on senior day list, so I'm thinking he could come back), Tyler Willams and then guys like Jasheen Davis, McCollum, Dion Bergan, Royce Francis...Geez, if all of those guys are back then d line should be a big strength for us,.

Hope Jacquez comes back too. Need some good LB play.

Agreed. I also think we'll see Dylan Hazen get a good bit of time for a freshman. I wouldn't be completely shocked if we play him more than 4 games. He's fast, which we need at that position.

I see that Jake Simpson and Jeff Burley are listed for Senior Day. I was so excited when they signed. Injuries eliminated any chance they’d contribute. Such a shame. Hope for great production from Hazen and Sosanya.

We need help at safety.

Doubts? Go back and watch UNC or Louisville games.

UNC was incredible.

If Greer comes back healthy and Masterson comes back, which both seem likely, safety doesn't look so bad for next season. Especially with guys like Anderson, Coby Davis and a couple others guys who could step up to backup Luke and Nassir.

A healthy Greer for 12 games is something we haven't seen. But when he is healthy, he's fringe All ACC talent.

Back