• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: okay, that was actually pretty funny

Same plan every franchise has in that situation. Sign the veterans to a friendly contract or let them go. Hope the young players are ready to be big time players and sign them in their prime. Hit on draft picks.

Do you want a multi season tank instead? It doesn’t seem like anybody was willing to give up multiple unprotected picks to support a tank. No team with a healthy playing Kawhi will be in the lottery anyway.

i think he's losing $80mm off of the potential max he could have signed

Same plan 75% of the league has in that situation. Sign the veterans to a friendly contract or let them go. Hope the young players are ready to be big time players and sign them in their prime. Hit on draft picks.

Do you want a multi season tank instead? It doesn’t seem like anybody was willing to give up multiple unprotected picks to support a tank. No team with a healthy playing Kawhi will be in the lottery anyway.

FIFY. Never thought I would see that written about the Spurs.

Both Philly and Boston reportedly made “pick heavy” offers.

Think this is a great trade for the Raps whether Kawhi plays or not (or plays well or not). They probably weren't ever going to win the East with their current Demar/Lowry core, and I think some on here are wildly overestimating the trade market for Demar; dude is already 29, has 2 more years at $27.8 million followed by a player option at the same amount. Demar is really good, but he ain't a healthy Kawhi, plays a mid-range-heavy style that few teams embrace, likely will only decline moving forward (at least athletically), and while probably not overpaid, isn't exactly a bargain either.

If Kawhi shows up to camp healthy and actually tries (both huge ifs), the Raps could approach 60 wins again and easily make a run in the Eastern Conference playoffs (if not to the finals) given their defensive versatility. If he doesn't show up, isn't healthy, or tries to play and just isn't as good as we remember (whether by health or otherwise), big deal; they weren't hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy anyway and now at least they got off Demar's not insubstantial contract without also having to give up their best prospect (OG) or a top 20 draft pick.

FIFY. Never thought I would see that written about the Spurs.

Both Philly and Boston reportedly made “pick heavy” offers.

Which part didn’t you think would be written? The other 25% tanks.

Think this is a great trade for the Raps whether Kawhi plays or not (or plays well or not). They probably weren't ever going to win the East with their current Demar/Lowry core, and I think some on here are wildly overestimating the trade market for Demar; dude is already 29, has 2 more years at $27.8 million followed by a player option at the same amount. Demar is really good, but he ain't a healthy Kawhi, plays a mid-range-heavy style that few teams embrace, likely will only decline moving forward (at least athletically), and while probably not overpaid, isn't exactly a bargain either.

If Kawhi shows up to camp healthy and actually tries (both huge ifs), the Raps could approach 60 wins again and easily make a run in the Eastern Conference playoffs (if not to the finals) given their defensive versatility. If he doesn't show up, isn't healthy, or tries to play and just isn't as good as we remember (whether by health or otherwise), big deal; they weren't hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy anyway and now at least they got off Demar's not insubstantial contract without also having to give up their best prospect (OG) or a top 20 draft pick.

Agree; the Raptors motivation was to get out from under the Derozan contract. If Kawhi plays and is the same player as he was before, Raptors are a threat to win the weak Eastern conference. If Kawhi refuses to report, the Raps can trade him to the Lakers or 76ers (Kawhi's uncle lives in Philly). So, the Raptors will either compete next year or start the rebuild.

Surprised that the Spurs willing to take on Derozen's contract; he's a really solid player, but not worth $27.5 million a year in cap space. They will be a solid playoff team, but light years away from winning the West. Tells me that Pop is staying through his Olympic run in 2020 and he does not want to rebuild.

I'll give you Batum for DeRozan right fucking now.

Which part didn’t you think would be written? The other 25% tanks.

That the Spurs were doing what everyone else in the league would do instead of being innovative and setting the standard for what every team should do.

Either tank or be lucky enough to be a free agency destination (so probably more than 25% actually).

Philly reportedly also offered RoCo, Saric, and Miami’s unprotected 2021 pick (likely the mega draft). Taking that and then flipping LMA for youth/pics would have been a much better play and a decent middle ground between a full on tank and fighting your darndest to lose to the Warriors in the second round vs. the first.

I don't think the Spurs have been particularly innovative in terms of team building. They've just been fortunate enough to have one of the best players in league since the 80s and done a good job of putting players around him. To do that, they either have to get the #1 pick and get a Robinson or Duncan (4 year players who don't exist now) or draft or trade well which is what they hope to do or hope they've already done.

I guarantee you the front office perspective is "We won 47 games mostly without Kawhi. Now we're adding DeRozan to the mix. We have a good veteran team now and good young players for the future. When Pop retires, we've got talent on the bench." Now they won't admit it publicly, but I'm guessing part of their plan is to make a play for Butler next year and if that doesn't work out, just keep getting young talent for when the LMA and DeRozan contracts run out and the Warriors are past their primes. Worst case scenario, they tank then.

I don't think the Spurs have been particularly innovative in terms of team building. They've just been fortunate enough to have one of the best players in league since the 80s and done a good job of putting players around him. To do that, they either have to get the #1 pick and get a Robinson or Duncan (4 year players who don't exist now) or draft or trade well which is what they hope to do or hope they've already done.

I guarantee you the front office perspective is "We won 47 games mostly without Kawhi. Now we're adding DeRozan to the mix. We have a good veteran team now and good young players for the future. When Pop retires, we've got talent on the bench." Now they won't admit it publicly, but I'm guessing part of their plan is to make a play for Butler next year and if that doesn't work out, just keep getting young talent for when the LMA and DeRozan contracts run out and the Warriors are past their primes. Worst case scenario, they tank then.

There approach and ability to do that was innovative at the time. I can’t believe I’m having to convince a Spurs rink that the Spurs were innovative, though in your case I probably shouldn’t be surprised.

Where is all this young talent coming from? It sounds like the plan is Butler or bust (bust meaning: to grind out regular season wins (hurting their draft stock) and lose in the first or second round for 3 years and then tank).

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: okay, that was actually pretty funny

The young talent on the roster and draft picks. Same place all young talent comes from.

Based on your philosophy, everyone should tank except the Warriors, Rockets, Celtics, and Lakers.

I’m with RChildress on this one. Spurs should have learned from the Mavs. The low seed in West mediocrity train doesn’t get you anywhere. And FA always a risk. If you’re going to trade Kawhi, better to not add DeRozan, flip LMA and start over

Spurs donked this up. Leaked shit to make Kawhi look bad, so he fucked them. They'll never recover under the current regime, players don't like that shit. Spurs fans should abandon ship and become Mavs fans.

The young talent on the roster and draft picks. Same place all young talent comes from.

Based on your philosophy, everyone should tank except the Warriors, Rockets, Celtics, and Lakers.

Are you excited about the young talent on the roster and the draft picks the Spurs are likely to have over the next 3 years?

And throw in Philly to that group and basically yeah. Or at least develop a plan that involves tanking.

I’m excited about Murray especially now that he’s paired with a scorer. Derrick White and Lonnie Walker had good summer leagues. I like Bryn Forbes as a bench shooter.

I’m of the belief that you can get a good player with any pick of the draft. Sure it’s easier to get a star with a top pick. But there’s always a good player available.

This team won 47 games with LMA as the best player. It’s not crazy to think they can do better this year.

Spurs donked this up. Leaked shit to make Kawhi look bad, so he fucked them. They'll never recover under the current regime, players don't like that shit. Spurs fans should abandon ship and become Mavs fans.

i think there's very few people who are pro Kawhi.

Raps however are getting a ton of heat from players for derozan

Nba.com has a story up stating the pic is protected to 12. I'll take it but in the east it probably won't matter.

This is a plus, I would have traded Kawhi to the Raptors for a bag of rocks, just to prove what a little bitch he has become. Threatening to sit out? Who won the media battle? Somewhere on this thread, I said trade him to the East, someone like the Bucks.

Back