• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

To help try and cure some of the usual offseason slowness, I decided to imagine what an ACC Football Division realignment might look like. Interested to hear some of your guys' thoughts on which proposal option you would most be in favor of going forward: https://www.bloggersodear.com/2018/...eas-for-the-conferences-divisions-wake-forest

I think the Ancien Regime of the ACC would love it. I'm not sure Les Nouveaux would care for it though. Seems the ACC establishment prefers a thorough integration and a breakup of the four NC teams. I could be wrong, but aside from breaking up a Clemson-FSU-Louisville cluster in the Atlantic, I don't see a reorganization happening as you propose. Although I'd love it personally.

It's probably both. I can't imagine there are many of us who would rather sit around all day before a big presentation or an interview rather just do it and hang out or relax at night.

In fact, that's why fans like night games. They can do the tailgating then hang out.

I remember before almost every game was televised that usually the first couple of home games would be a 7:00 kick-off, then all the rest would be a 1:00 kick-off.

With all the discussion about the Newman Hartman QB battle, is Tayvon Bowers recovered from his knee injury to get into that discussion? His knee injury was almost two years ago. Has it healed enough to let him have a legit shot at starting in the early season games?

His knee is fine. He still ain’t in the mix

I hope that is due to how good Newman and Hartman are performing and not to his failure to meet expectations. I liked his high school career and his comments when he committed.

With all the discussion about the Newman Hartman QB battle, is Tayvon Bowers recovered from his knee injury to get into that discussion? His knee injury was almost two years ago. Has it healed enough to let him have a legit shot at starting in the early season games?

Clawson mentioned him on media day. He is still in the picture apparently.

He can't throw very well and is not a good runner, but other than that, he is a good QB

He can't throw very well and is not a good runner, but other than that, he is a good QB

I remember one year when Lou Holtz was at south carolina, they were down to their 3rd string QB due to injuries and Holtz was trying to pump up the poor kid before playing some SEC juggernaut. He said, "Joe blow is an excellent ball handler. He does a great job of taking the snap from center and makes great handoffs to the running backs."

SBNation reviewed the Deacs as of this morning and let's just say they are fairly bullish on Clawson:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17544256/wake-forest-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Really good write up and uncharacteristically informed for a preseason wake football preview from a non-wake-specific outlet.

I still think our season could be really special if one of the QBs that starts the first three games solidifies himself as the sure-starter. If Kendall can return and pass him that’s great, but one of them being good enough to pass him on the depth chart permanently would be a great thing for the Deacs.

The thing that makes me most nervous for the season is definitely kicking. We’re going to have to score more touchdowns this year since we don’t have Weaver to rely on from 30-40 yards out. I really hope one of the transfer kickers shows out before the season starts. Good special teams is an underrated and invaluable part of football.

This is the year. We'll lose our 4 best OL to graduation and whom ever is the QB next year won't have such a solid wall in front of him. A tougher job for the RBs as well. Losing Yarbary and Zeke will hurt too.

SBNation reviewed the Deacs as of this morning and let's just say they are fairly bullish on Clawson:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17544256/wake-forest-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

On the "Offensive Radar" on that site it shows we were strongest last year in Efficiency and Explosiveness. That seems about right; I hope our new QB can maintain that efficiency and I expect our returning recvrs to be explosive again.

I see they've also got us pegged at 6.7 wins. That's about where I came down with my earlier prediction of 7 wins. That's a good number considering the question marks we have going in, the schedule, and IMO the fact that many of the teams we beat last year will be really tough as they try to avenge their losses.

Last edited:
Wake picked 6th in Atlantic in preseason poll.

DizzS1-WsAIMWH1.jpg

Last edited:
Meh. It’s a crap shoot. Wouldn’t be shocked if the division had Clemson with 7 teams and everybody else between 3 and 5 wins. Lots of close games.

Back