• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Yeah, so? Buttigieg, Harris, O'Rourke, Klobuchar, Booker and Bullock are all pretty generic Dem as well in terms of being in that Dem mainstream mode, like Obama and the Clintons. But they aren't polling like Joe is. Surely, part of that is Joe is much better known. I'd like to hope it's not because he's the comfortable old white guy, whereas Buttigieg is gay, Klobuchar and Harris are female, and Harris and Booker are at least part black. And I'm not so sure his being the much better known quantity is going to wear off and erode his poll numbers over time, and that's because of Trump. Trump strongly appeals to 40ish% of the country, however independents and the few establishment Pubs remaining can't stand him. There could be a fairly strong preference developing where folks are saying give me the old, known and affable gaffe machine because we like or didn't mind Obama, and he has the best chance to beat the devil incarnate who currently resides in the White House. And his poll numbers could end up being self fulfilling where most folks say, "See, the polls keep saying he beats Trump, and doors # 1, 2 and 3 do not." If the polls remain similar over the next several months, the current best ticket is Biden/Harris.

I'm interested to hear what our resident more conservative posters who don't like Trump are thinking, like Deacman, NED and Shorty.

Yeah like Shorty, I will support whoever the Democrat nominee turns out to be. The Trump experiment needs to end.

It’s still really early so I’m sure my vote will evolve over the course of the primary but if the MA election was held today, I’d vote for Biden. He matches up against Trump very well both in terms of the electoral map and personality. A Biden/Harris ticket would be pretty incredible.

All that being said, I do worry that Trump and his inner circle of unpatriotic assholes will try to use Biden’s history to put a lot of stink on him...similar to what they did to Hillary. Rudy and Trump have already publicly stated that they are willing to work with another foreign government to uncover dirt on Biden. Trump also has the Attorney General at his disposal. It’s a sad state of affairs that we even need to worry about this in the United States but this is what happens when you elect a corrupt wannabe autocrat.

Yeah like Shorty, I will support whoever the Democrat nominee turns out to be. The Trump experiment needs to end.

It’s still really early so I’m sure my vote will evolve over the course of the primary but if the MA election was held today, I’d vote for Biden. He matches up against Trump very well both in terms of the electoral map and personality. A Biden/Harris ticket would be pretty incredible.

All that being said, I do worry that Trump and his inner circle of unpatriotic assholes will try to use Biden’s history to put a lot of stink on him...similar to what they did to Hillary. Rudy and Trump have already publicly stated that they are willing to work with another foreign government to uncover dirt on Biden. Trump also has the Attorney General at his disposal. It’s a sad state of affairs that we even need to worry about this in the United States but this is what happens when you elect a corrupt wannabe autocrat.

What do you actually like about Joe Biden, NED?

Progressives continue to overestimate the popularity of their positions.

So you think there are a significant amount of people out there who would vote for Biden, but not for Warren/Harris/Buttigieg, because of their positions?

This is a wrong take, IMO. It’s not that the positions are unpopular, we’ve seen progressive policies pass with overwhelming support in super red states like Missouri. I just don’t think a lot of moderate and conservative Democrats and independent voters like Sanders or Warren or other “progressive” candidates. They like comfort, Biden is comfortable.

We will see if that changes after the debates.

So you think there are a significant amount of people out there who would vote for Biden, but not for Warren/Harris/Buttigieg, because of their positions?

Warren yes and for the same reason as Sanders. Those 2 will be too far left for some independents and pissed off establishment Pubs.

With Harris and Buttigieg, it's different. Neither are well known nationally and are newcomers, so I believe lack of familiarity is currently hurting their polling. So I'd hope that their numbers v. Trump would improve as they become better known quantities. That said, even if Biden's and Buttigieg's positions aren't distinguishable, I think Buttigieg's being gay will mean he won't poll as well in some of the southern and midwestern states. I don't think gender and ethnicity will harm Harris as much as Buttigieg is harmed by being gay, though we've discussed here several times how much harder it is for women to run for national office. That said, I've been kinda surprised that she's not polling better than single digits thus far. I had thought her communication skills would have had her in double digits by this point. All of that said, I do think that Biden being an OWG helps him in FL in particular (and he's cleaning up there in a recent poll).

"Centrists" continue to overestimate their appeal.

The bond your people made with the GOP so that you could both stay in office for eternity is why this country is so F'ed.

Warren yes and for the same reason as Sanders. Those 2 will be too far left for some independents and pissed off establishment Pubs.

With Harris and Buttigieg, it's different. Neither are well known nationally and are newcomers, so I believe lack of familiarity is currently hurting their polling. So I'd hope that their numbers v. Trump would improve as they become better known quantities. That said, even if Biden's and Buttigieg's positions aren't distinguishable, I think Buttigieg's being gay will mean he won't poll as well in some of the southern and midwestern states. I don't think gender and ethnicity will harm Harris as much as Buttigieg is harmed by being gay, though we've discussed here several times how much harder it is for women to run for national office. That said, I've been kinda surprised that she's not polling better than single digits thus far. I had thought her communication skills would have had her in double digits by this point. All of that said, I do think that Biden being an OWG helps him in FL in particular (and he's cleaning up there in a recent poll).

LOL “moderates” and “independents” will vote to re-elect Trump no matter who the Dem candidate is... They did last time around.

LOL “moderates” and “independents” will vote to re-elect Trump no matter who the Dem candidate is... They did last time around.
Quite funny coming from somebody who accuses others of lazy commentary and analysis. If that was the case in the Republicans would have won a majority in the last house elections. But keep building your ideological barricade. It's clearly shown to be effective.

Quite funny coming from somebody who accuses others of lazy commentary and analysis. If that was the case in the Republicans would have won a majority in the last house elections. But keep building your ideological barricade. It's clearly shown to be effective.

How does the last house election negate my point about moderates and independents electing trump? (Speaking of lazy analysis and ideological barricades...) Because they did. It’s in the numbers.

My claim has always been that voter turnout wins Dem elections, not the mythical center and libertarians. I’m pretty sure the voting data from 2018 supports that claim.

How does the last house election negate my point about moderates and independents electing trump? (Speaking of lazy analysis and ideological barricades...) Because they did. It’s in the numbers.

My claim has always been that voter turnout wins Dem elections, not the mythical center and libertarians. I’m pretty sure the voting data from 2018 supports that claim.

The lowest level of turnout was young voters. Had they shown up and voted as their brothers and sister had, Trump would have lost.

People of all ages who threw away their votes also had a major impact.

Like this exit poll that showed moderates trended dem over pub 62 36 in 2018? Are these the lost cause Trump voters that you're referring to? I really do not know how much more clear the numbers have to be to show that Strickland's strategy is a giant loser. But he keeps beating that ideological dead horse

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls

or if boomers hadn't voted for Trump

TITCR

And RJ - reading is FUNDAMENTAL

I’m saying voter turnout helped Dems take back the House; moderates and independents who couldn’t bear to vote for a Clinton (but definitely would have voted for any other Dem - just ask them!) elected Trump.

Like this exit poll that showed moderates trended dem over pub 62 36 in 2018? Are these the lost cause Trump voters that you're referring to? I really do not know how much more clear the numbers have to be to show that Strickland's strategy is a giant loser. But he keeps beating that ideological dead horse

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls

Are you having trouble reading this morning?

They voted for Dems after seeing what their 2016 protest vote did to the country.

Are you having trouble reading this morning?

They voted for Dems after seeing what their 2016 protest vote did to the country.
Do you want to try to reconcile these two wildly inconsistent statements you just made in the last few minutes?

Do you want to try to reconcile these two wildly inconsistent statement you just made in the last few minutes?

It fits with what cville posted (which is what I quoted in my response), man. Your issue is with him.

Back