• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Dems need to do a much better job of getting popular legislation in front of the GOP and make a big fuss about it for the blame to fall at the feet of Republicans and not the president

Dems need to do a much better job of getting popular legislation in front of the GOP and make a big fuss about it for the blame to fall at the feet of Republicans and not the president

My only hope in this regard is that Biden pushed Obama on ACA, public option, pre-existing conditions, etc. when he and Rahm were happy to just concede everything to GOP. He was out there putting blame on Republicans front and center for not agreeing to things that would hurt tens of millions of Americans when Obama was pushing leadership to sign anything that GOP would pass. Unfortunately this isn't that era Biden.

Yeah, but that only works if the President gets stuff done by EO and other levers. They don't want it to come off as just whining about Republicans. That just makes Republicans seem more powerful and Dems seem ineffective.

Dems definitely need a House spokesperson who gives daily briefings. They definitely need to run ads in key areas of 2022 Republican Senate states about what they're doing asking why the senator isn't on board. Run ads in Miami TV and radio about how Rubio won't support coronavirus relief. Talk about what the plan would do for the people of Miami.

Last edited:
Not sure that’s an attempt at rehab, but I do think it’s a misreading of recent history.

Trump hasn’t been some unwitting puppet as much as a natural and semi-clever scoundrel quite used to living/succeeding by dishonesty/deception who merely waltzed into the leadership of the a political party self-primed to be led by a pathological liar lusting for power.

Those wickeder men she references didn’t really want Trump because he’s too reckless and crass and incapable of adequate pretense of decency but once he ascended they were naturally going to make the most of the moment.

If Trump died a natural death tomorrow, they’d be thrilled. And their party would still be deranged and degenerate because it was already before the rise of Trump.

Yeah, but that only works if the President gets stuff done by EO and other levers. They don't want it to come off as just whining about Republicans. That just makes Republicans seem more powerful and Dems seem ineffective.

Dems definitely need a House spokesperson who gives daily briefings.

some of that, sure

but I don't want the president to continue to rule by fiat -- the further we normalize congressional gridlock and executive action as the only way to get things done, the worse this all becomes

some of that, sure

but I don't want the president to continue to rule by fiat -- the further we normalize congressional gridlock and executive action as the only way to get things done, the worse this all becomes

hey, elections have consequences

I don't know how anyone that is not a Republican can look at this electoral map with the compromise Democrat candidate barely squeaking by the worst president in US history and say "yes, let's continue having the rule of law set by the executive branch"

I don't know how anyone that is not a Republican can look at this electoral map with the compromise Democrat candidate barely squeaking by the worst president in US history and say "yes, let's continue having the rule of law set by the executive branch"

I agree, but the alternative very much appears to be another 2 years of getting absolutely nothing accomplished and losing the House in 2022. Unless the Biden administration finds a way to convince people otherwise, he's responsible for gridlock and getting nothing accomplished. And I have zero faith in any Republicans helping him change that.

they're called Philosopher Kings. look it up. maybe pick up a Plato once in a while, geez

really looking forward to MM&T dogging biden at every fucking step for the next 4 years and 2 months

lol the mans not even in the seat yet and you’re already caping for him. Reflexive defensiveness of the establishment is a great look on you.

I agree, but the alternative very much appears to be another 2 years of getting absolutely nothing accomplished and losing the House in 2022. Unless the Biden administration finds a way to convince people otherwise, he's responsible for gridlock and getting nothing accomplished. And I have zero faith in any Republicans helping him change that.

Yep

And we’re better off this way than if Trump’s still in the WH....

What a country.

This. It's an unfortunate truth. In order for Democrats to be seen as getting anything done, Biden has to do things by executive order and Democrats have to promote the hell out of it. So when things can't get done due to Republican obstruction, Democrats can say "Look at everything we've done for you! The Republicans are trying to stop us!" Republicans have excelled at this, mostly because they lie about what they've done. Democrats can use the same strategy with the truth.

By the way, I've started a new Dems in Disarray thread for this type of discussion.

all true

but let's be glad that we'll have a president that listens to scientists during a pandemic! baby steps!

Dems definitely need a House spokesperson who gives daily briefings. They definitely need to run ads in key areas of 2022 Republican Senate states about what they're doing asking why the senator isn't on board. Run ads in Miami TV and radio about how Rubio won't support coronavirus relief. Talk about what the plan would do for the people of Miami.

"Donald Trump may be gone but under Marco Rubio his policies are alive and well and people are still dying."

Back