• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
by opposition, I don't think playing a game of pickup basketball is sport - it's a game/mere play

i mean, high levels of mental and physical twitch skills are required to play videogames at a high level. is pool/billiards a sport?

obviously I also don't think there's objective truth here either - just arguing that some of the rigid connotations with sport could probably be relaxed a little

there are organized leagues of teams of bridge players who travel to different places to play bridge in organized competitions?

if so that's sport to me. even more so if people are showing up and paying money to watch - there's certainly an economic element to this organization

lol, trying to out pedant Ph

without consulting a dictionary its probably because there are leagues of teams of players that participate in different (local/regional/international) competitions guided by a clear set of rules for the activity

video games are just the everyday activity

I'm willing to respect professional video gamers at the same level that I respect professional board game players.

lol my last post feels like the opposite of pedantic but sure

by opposition, I don't think playing a game of pickup basketball is sport - it's a game/mere play

basketball is the sport

your qualifiers may change its status as amateur or professional or whatever the fuck other category you want, but basketball is a sport full stop

I'm willing to respect professional video gamers at the same level that I respect professional board game players.

feels like an improvement - if you watch/understand some Dota 2 players or some professional fighting game players that might even change who knows

Although I'd rather watch e-sports than girls/women's basketball. Like I know that it is a sexist belief, but amateur woman's basketball is just ascetically awful.

Fucking garbage truck killed my old, old dog this morning. And because life is a surreal nightmare, I had to read the Of Mice and Men chapter where they shoot Candy's dog in first period. And now, while I am on hold to yell at the garbage company, their hold music Celebrate Good Times blared at full volume.

Sorry to hear that, man.

How are the kids doing?

The mousy redhead chess prodigy that may or may not be real was TWICE the athlete as an e-gamer.

I mean e-sports is literally just the title. Nobody is out here directly comparing Lebron James to the best COD players in the world. I don’t think anybody actually conflates basketball and valorant as similar things. Caring about what it’s called feels weird.

But also e-sports are entertaining to watch for a generation of people that grew up playing a lot of video games on the internet.

basketball is the sport

your qualifiers may change its status as amateur or professional or whatever the fuck other category you want, but basketball is a sport full stop

basketball is a game with many many different rules and organizations.

the sport of basketball is the game (say Starcraft) plus all the competititive/social/economic/symbolic associations around it imo

video games are games with many many different rules and organizations

esports is the game plus all the competititive/social/economic/symbolic associations around it

Naismith didn't invent the sport of basketball, for example. when people wanted to watch a competition and wanted to pay and wanted clearer more exciting rules it became a sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back