• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

We've been over it dozens of times. Other factors (many of them class-based) are far better predictors of a person's economic future than the single factor of race. You all don't want to hear it.

Wait, what? There is a party who wants to overcome those "class-based" factors so that more young people will grow up to be more economically successful adults.
Then there is the party that is saying we can't try acknowledge racism because gas costs $4.

The best argument JH comes up with to defend his point is how voters will react. No defense with facts or reason. Just voters. We know there are lots of shitty and ignorant Americans like JH and Angus (looking at you, too, Sailor). Their numbers don't make them right.

One party believes the best way to address those “class-based” factors is tax cuts for wealthy people.

Haven’t really read the thread or this board for a while but days like today when the system feels especially stacked against justice and fairness and conservatives feel vindicated and libs are saying this is due process that there is a school of thought out there that explains exactly where we are today in America’s judicial system and that’s critical race theory.

Well said, Townie.

My wife just came back from the Great American Teach-In at my 4th grader's school with a heartbreaking story thanks to DeSantis and the GOP.

My kids are multiracial and my 9 year old is darker-skinned than my 12 year old. A few weeks ago, my 9 year old saw a book at the school Book Fair about two Black brothers, one who was darker-skinned than the other and faced more racism. He didn't have any money to buy it so he asked me to take him to Barnes and Noble when I picked him up so he could buy it with his own money. He told his teacher about the book and asked her to read an excerpt of it to his class. She wanted to read it but she told him he couldn't because she didn't want to be accused of teaching CRT.

This is the whole purpose in a nutshell. It's all about scaring teachers into teaching white supremacy by default by putting the emotions of angry white parents ahead of actual education. Republicans including people like jhmd, Angus, and sailor want my kid to feel bad about his racial background so white kids don't have to face other people's realities.

Update: I talked with my son about this. He told me he understood his teacher’s explanation. But he said, “I can still read it to my friends.” He’s thinking about buying copies with his own money for friends who want to read it.

That’s why silencing teachers isn’t enough and they want to ban books as well.

Ph, you should focus on things we can control. Stop talking about race and focus more on what scares white guys in middle America. There are things that affect white people’s lives a lot more than racism. Like gas prices. I acknowledge there is racism, but I can’t make your kids not Black. So, we should talk about things I want, instead.

So, if JH wants to make the point that we should trust that the voters to know what is best for them, can we acknowledge that the Republican Party is awful for Black people?

Update: I talked with my son about this. He told me he understood his teacher’s explanation. But he said, “I can still read it to my friends.” He’s thinking about buying copies with his own money for friends who want to read it.

That’s why silencing teachers isn’t enough and they want to ban books as well.

I'm confused. When people say they don't want CRT taught in schools, that means we can't talk about race at all? Haven't we always talked about and taught history that involves race and racial differences?

I'm confused. When people say they don't want CRT taught in schools, that means we can't talk about race at all? Haven't we always talked about and taught history that involves race and racial differences?

Can talk about race but not racism. History that talks about race but not structural racism.

You can talk about racism unless it points out our history of white people being racist and why.

Crazy, ain't it? In general, US history is whitewashed, but that was changing somewhat with inclusivity and sensitivity training, Juneteenth, removal of traitorous Confederate statues and flags, and other small measures. Republicans got all squimish seeing these things, a Black guy in the White House, demands for justice over the killings of Black men by the government, and others. Republicans then unleashed the mythical creature called CRT (not to be confused with Critical Race Theory) to consolidate all their rage against these perceived threats to their unacknowledged privilege into one simple issue. CRT now provides cover for Republicans to suppress any teaching of racial injustice past or present.

You can talk about racism unless it points out our history of white people being racist and why.

I don't really believe this is true. The racism through history has been taught forever. The problem is when you try to say that literally everything is based on racism - that is when you run into push-back.

My wife just came back from the Great American Teach-In at my 4th grader's school with a heartbreaking story thanks to DeSantis and the GOP.

My kids are multiracial and my 9 year old is darker-skinned than my 12 year old. A few weeks ago, my 9 year old saw a book at the school Book Fair about two Black brothers, one who was darker-skinned than the other and faced more racism. He didn't have any money to buy it so he asked me to take him to Barnes and Noble when I picked him up so he could buy it with his own money. He told his teacher about the book and asked her to read an excerpt of it to his class. She wanted to read it but she told him he couldn't because she didn't want to be accused of teaching CRT.

This is the whole purpose in a nutshell. It's all about scaring teachers into teaching white supremacy by default by putting the emotions of angry white parents ahead of actual education. Republicans including people like jhmd, Angus, and sailor want my kid to feel bad about his racial background so white kids don't have to face other people's realities.

Thanks for sharing this story. My initial reaction was that you must be incredibly frustrated with the teacher, but I think it's hard to fault her given the current climate. With regards to the bold, I think that you are giving them too much credit. I don't think this movement is that nuanced or thought out. The republican party is simply willing to do whatever they need to do to keep the worst of them riled up and ready to vote.

The current "conservative" movement feels like political drug addiction. For many years, party leadership and fox news have been giving their constituents and viewers hit after hit of the really good stuff. Talking points that have nothing to do with actual policy on actual issues (boring), but instead allow them to keep "thinking" with their gut, reacting emotionally and strongly against whatever the boogeyman of the season is. The best drugs often involve people of color: CRT, the migrant caravan, gang violence, etc.

Much like a drug addition, a tolerance is built. To work, the fictional threats become more extreme, and the audience becomes even more incapable of thinking critically on their own. Child immigrants riding a train is fucking nothing compared to Qanon becoming broadly accepted. CRT works to the level that it does because (1) it creates racial apprehension and (2) it involves their kids. Simultaneously, anyone who is not afraid is not a "real American."

This does not end well.

I don't really believe this is true. The racism through history has been taught forever. The problem is when you try to say that literally everything is based on racism - that is when you run into push-back.

Remember the old rule that when you say “everything” or “all” or “never,” it’s probably an exaggeration.

The people who are saying that anybody is saying “everything is based on racism” are exaggerating to give you something to disagree with without seeing racist. That’s how they’re framing the argument. You’re more likely to engage with that argument rather than the one people are actually making about deconstructing structural racism.

Remember the old rule that when you say “everything” or “all” or “never,” it’s probably an exaggeration.

But, lots of things that don’t seem to be built on racism, are.

The Georgia law the defense is trying to use in the trial of Arbery’s killers, for example.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/26/1048...st-law-in-the-trial-over-ahmaud-arberys-death

Cornell University criminal law expert Joseph Margulies says they date back to before the founding of the United States, and allowed colonial citizens to detain someone they had seen commit a crime.

They were designed for an environment in which police were not widely present, Margulies said.

Georgia, along with other states principally in the South, expanded those laws to allow citizens to arrest someone they reasonably suspected of trying to escape from a felony.

We'll come back to those words: "Reasonably suspected."

Georgia's law dated back to 1863, and "was basically a catching-fleeing-slave law," according to Margulies.

"It is a legacy of a racist past," he said.

That’s really for Scooter and not you.

Thanks for sharing this story. My initial reaction was that you must be incredibly frustrated with the teacher, but I think it's hard to fault her given the current climate. With regards to the bold, I think that you are giving them too much credit. I don't think this movement is that nuanced or thought out. The republican party is simply willing to do whatever they need to do to keep the worst of them riled up and ready to vote.

The current "conservative" movement feels like political drug addiction. For many years, party leadership and fox news have been giving their constituents and viewers hit after hit of the really good stuff. Talking points that have nothing to do with actual policy on actual issues (boring), but instead allow them to keep "thinking" with their gut, reacting emotionally and strongly against whatever the boogeyman of the season is. The best drugs often involve people of color: CRT, the migrant caravan, gang violence, etc.

Much like a drug addition, a tolerance is built. To work, the fictional threats become more extreme, and the audience becomes even more incapable of thinking critically on their own. Child immigrants riding a train is fucking nothing compared to Qanon becoming broadly accepted. CRT works to the level that it does because (1) it creates racial apprehension and (2) it involves their kids. Simultaneously, anyone who is not afraid is not a "real American."

This does not end well.

This is a good analogy. I've said that America is in an abusive relationship with the Republican Party. It makes sense that the abuser is a drug addict.

Back