• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

Since we're talking about traffic infrastructure, when a series of consecutive traffic lights is not properly synchronized, it's infuriating.

Same thing when you're sitting at a non-sensor light and there is absolutely zero cross traffic.

Since we're talking about traffic infrastructure, when a series of consecutive traffic lights is not properly synchronized, it's infuriating.

Same thing when you're sitting at a non-sensor light and there is absolutely zero cross traffic.

Hate the first one. Have 2 roads on my commute where that’s the case, and I’m on the busier road but the lights are too short.

I hate it when someone threatens to send his guy to your office, but then when he gets called out on it acts like it was to deliver flowers.

Tipping always triggers a lot of pet peeves, but yesterday I ordered lunch online from a local restaurant for pickup. At the end of the online checkout process, they wanted me to give them a tip. For preparing the food on the kitchen assembly line, putting it in a bag, and waiting for me to drive up there and collect it with literally 30 seconds of human interaction. That's some bullshit.

Tipping always triggers a lot of pet peeves, but yesterday I ordered lunch online from a local restaurant for pickup. At the end of the online checkout process, they wanted me to give them a tip. For preparing the food on the kitchen assembly line, putting it in a bag, and waiting for me to drive up there and collect it with literally 30 seconds of human interaction. That's some bullshit.

my favorite in these scenarios now is that they flip the Square screen around and it includes a 30% and 35% option

Ordered a Cobb salad to go yesterday at Pasta & Provisions and the guy hit "no tip" while flipping the screen over. Would have definitely tipped had he not done that, but thought it was cool. #onlyincharlotte

Yes.
It's also a place that lists (or used to) 10% as good, 15% as great, etc. None of that minimum 20% crap for getting to-go.

Ordered a Cobb salad to go yesterday at Pasta & Provisions and the guy hit "no tip" while flipping the screen over. Would have definitely tipped had he not done that, but thought it was cool. #onlyincharlotte

Just curious, but, why would you tip in that scenario? Before the whole "insert your card to pay and flip the screen around to sign" phenomenon the tipping option was not in your face and I think a very small percentage of people would ever even think to tip at that point. Now it is shoved in your face and you feel bad not to... To me the whole point of tipping is to raise the income for wait people who get paid much less than minimum wage and to reward good/excellent service. These people (cashiers, kitchen staff) all get paid minimum wage or more and they certainly aren't going out of their way to do anything special for me. I am confused as to why tipping seems to have popped up in this and other scenarios where it did not play a role previously??

And I'm not being cheap, I am a generous tipper... It just seems strange to me and in conflict with the original reason for tipping.

Just curious, but, why would you tip in that scenario? Before the whole "insert your card to pay and flip the screen around to sign" phenomenon the tipping option was not in your face and I think a very small percentage of people would ever even think to tip at that point. Now it is shoved in your face and you feel bad not to... To me the whole point of tipping is to raise the income for wait people who get paid much less than minimum wage and to reward good/excellent service. These people (cashiers, kitchen staff) all get paid minimum wage or more and they certainly aren't going out of their way to do anything special for me. I am confused as to why tipping seems to have popped up in this and other scenarios where it did not play a role previously??

And I'm not being cheap, I am a generous tipper... It just seems strange to me and in conflict with the original reason for tipping.

Social norms I guess.

I usually make the call on tipping (or not tipping at all) for takeout on the work that goes into packaging the food up. On the one end of the spectrum is fast food where it goes straight from kitchen to bag. There are other restaurants that go out of their way to package the food so it travels well (separate containers for sauces, foil wrapped bread, etc.).

IMO it's just a hidden price increase on the food. Allows the restaurant to increase staff compensation without raising sticker prices. When it happens at big corporate places I'm always suspicious that a big chunk of it goes straight to Big Restaurant Corp's bottom line and not into the staff's pocket at all. Anybody here work at a Panera or Starbucks or something? How do they handle the tip revenue?

Your response begs the follow up - when did it become the social norm to tip in that scenario? Or is it, actually?

I just feel like a cheap ass if I don't tip.

I do get annoyed when I tip for to-go, and my order is fucked up. Otherwise though, it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, I don't mind tipping if there's any table service at all. That is, I order at the register and they bring my food out to me and maybe they throw my trash away for me. But I only tip a dollar or 10%. I'm not tipping 20% - 30% for that shit. I'm not tipping for McDonald's-style register service. That would be insulting to real waiters and waitresses everywhere.

Back