• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

No such thing. There are Herring Gulls, ring billed gulls, black backed gulls, laughing gulls, Glaucous winged gulls...but no sea gulls.

Seagull is just an overarching term for all those bird types that suck.

Following a new recipe that suggests something like 10-15 minutes prep time and it takes me 40 minutes before I've got everything ready to cook. I figured my Wake degree would have entitled me to a sous chef by now, dammit.

Recipe times are complete bullshit. I made a recipe last night that said it was 10 mins of prep and 30 mins cooking time. Took me two hours start to finish.

Hey Birdman - some golf courses supposedly get swans to hang around their ponds and chase off the geese - it is true that swans and geese don't get along and that the geese will leave? Are swans territorial or something?

I don’t know for sure how Swans and geese coexist, but I can confirm that during the nesting and chick rearing season, mute swans are incredibly aggressively territorial. Could even be dangerous to any golfers that get too close.

Following a new recipe that suggests something like 10-15 minutes prep time and it takes me 40 minutes before I've got everything ready to cook. I figured my Wake degree would have entitled me to a sous chef by now, dammit.

Recipe times are complete bullshit. I made a recipe last night that said it was 10 mins of prep and 30 mins cooking time. Took me two hours start to finish.

This is an obvious one, but the online recipes that require you to read the person's autobiography and a detailed account of their trip to Barbados before you get to the goddamn ingredients list.

[Credit where credit is due: I used a McCormick recipe last night and the page had a button that said "Just show me the recipe". Progress.]

This is an obvious one, but the online recipes that require you to read the person's autobiography and a detailed account of their trip to Barbados before you get to the goddamn ingredients list.

[Credit where credit is due: I used a McCormick recipe last night and the page had a button that said "Just show me the recipe". Progress.]

or how this is little Kayden's favorite recipe and let me tell you about the first time I made it for him.

Not winning Powerball or MegaMillions. Really peeves me out, man.

Your Wake degree should have helped you into being able to afford those overpriced, prepared dinner boxes to cut down on prep time. :)

Not winning Powerball or MegaMillions. Really peeves me out, man.

You haven't gone to the liquor store near Randy's Donuts to buy your ticket. They have sold millions upon millions of winning tickets.

Of course, I have place saver who waiting in line for me there. I think we're trying to get tix for a 2014 Powerball.

Man, people in my neighborhood love to run stop signs. Just happened right in front of me me three times in a 6 block drive home from the grocery store. It happens so much that it's become easily predictable, so I'm not sure I can really call it a PP anymore. There are just a lot of terrible/dangerous drivers out there. Stay safe y'all.

What do you classify as "running" a stop sign? Not stopping at all, or slowing down, looking both ways, and rolling through it?

You haven't gone to the liquor store near Randy's Donuts to buy your ticket. They have sold millions upon millions of winning tickets.

Of course, I have place saver who waiting in line for me there. I think we're trying to get tix for a 2014 Powerball.

It is true, I have never been to that liquor store. Maybe one day.

What do you classify as "running" a stop sign? Not stopping at all, or slowing down, looking both ways, and rolling through it?

Just saw both happen. While the latter doesn't bother me all that much when no other cars are stopped at the stop sign and it's safe to go through, when it happens when I'm at a dead stop waiting my turn and the dude just basically follows the car in front of him through the intersection it rustles my jimmies pretty good. People around here also LOVE to block the cross walks on the occasions that they do come to a complete stop.

Just saw both happen. While the latter doesn't bother me all that much when no other cars are stopped at the stop sign and it's safe to go through, when it happens when I'm at a dead stop waiting my turn and the dude just basically follows the car in front of him through the intersection it rustles my jimmies pretty good. People around here also LOVE to block the cross walks on the occasions that they do come to a complete stop.

There are a few stop sign intersections near me that are not right angles (maybe 45 degrees approaching the main road), so it is kind of both a stop and a merge, and you are head-on in the oncoming lane for a second before you get across it if making a left. The stop sign at each is probably 25 feet back from the intersection itself. My position on that is, once I've come to a complete stop at the stop sign and moved forward past it, I'm free to fill that gap between the stop sign and across the intersection at my own discretion, including following the car in front of me without stopping again if he is waiting and there is a big enough gap. But I haven't been pulled over there to test the theory yet.

That's actually a pet peeve of mine. Stop signs where there should be yield signs. There's one I encounter a few times a week that's basically just a separate merging lane onto a 4 lane road (turning right on Park from Fairview for the CLT folks). There are a few others around town.

That's actually a pet peeve of mine. Stop signs where there should be yield signs. There's one I encounter a few times a week that's basically just a separate merging lane onto a 4 lane road (turning right on Park from Fairview for the CLT folks). There are a few others around town.

Yes I have never understood why that is a stop sign and not a yield. Seems to be more chance of an accident there when having to accelerate from a dead stop to merge in that short distance than it would be if you were already moving.

Back