• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

Ugh I hate that one. I advise that you stop talking like a bad translation

That one reminds me of a former coworker who used to write "may you" instead of "could you or would you". As in, "may you please review the attached contract", or "may you speak with Brad about this issue." She was also a please adviser. Drove me fucking bonkers.

the one that gets me with tipping is on wine. if you order a $40 or $100 bottle you're getting the same level of service but tipping so much more. I get it for super expensive bottles where there are things like decanting but at most places they're just opening and pouring.

What restaurants in the Triad have a no tipping policy?

That one reminds me of a former coworker who used to write "may you" instead of "could you or would you". As in, "may you please review the attached contract", or "may you speak with Brad about this issue." She was also a please adviser. Drove me fucking bonkers.

“Please kindly [do a task].”

The inane redundancy and faux politeness/formality of that phrase makes me respect the sender even less than I already do.

I just feel like a cheap ass if I don't tip.

I do get annoyed when I tip for to-go, and my order is fucked up. Otherwise though, it doesn't really bother me.

Not to belabor the point, but, did you feel like a cheap ass a few years ago when picking up takeout and no one put a screen in front of you asking for a tip? I don't know about you but the concept of tipping someone for handing me a takeout order across a counter never would have crossed my mind.

If there was a tip jar, or an printed CC receipt for me to sign, I would still probably tip. Most any food establishment that asks for a tip, I will tip them. That predates the Square screen. Just not a big deal to leave someone $1-3.

I will use "please advise" but it is because I am pissed as hell at the person I'm emailing for screwing something up and now I have to eat shit and explain the fuck up to someone else. In that case, I want their words in writing. The beginning of that email will often have the phrase, "help me understand..."

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of study on the correlation of tipping habits and time spent working in the service industry. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, my experience has always been that people who spent even just a few months waiting tables, hosting, or tending bar have absolutely zero problem tipping in the scenarios described above.

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of study on the correlation of tipping habits and time spent working in the service industry. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, my experience has always been that people who spent even just a few months waiting tables, hosting, or tending bar have absolutely zero problem tipping in the scenarios described above.

Eh I don't know. I spent many years working in food places, both traditional sit down restaurants and counter-style. I usually tip pretty well even at like ice cream spots, but even I am starting to get annoyed at the request to tip the assembly line crew at Moe's or if I'm just picking up a Papa Johns pizza. To me the difference is whether the person has any autonomy in what they are preparing. If the dude at the local deli loads me up with a fat roast beef sandwich bursting at the seams or the girl in the ice cream shop makes the cone so that it isn't going to topple over when my kid grabs it, I'm much more inclined to tip than the dude squirting 2.5 shots of sour cream into the burrito because that is what the corporate stooges 500 miles away stipulate for the recipe.

Eh I don't know. I spent many years working in food places, both traditional sit down restaurants and counter-style. I usually tip pretty well even at like ice cream spots, but even I am starting to get annoyed at the request to tip the assembly line crew at Moe's or if I'm just picking up a Papa Johns pizza. To me the difference is whether the person has any autonomy in what they are preparing. If the dude at the local deli loads me up with a fat roast beef sandwich bursting at the seams or the girl in the ice cream shop makes the cone so that it isn't going to topple over when my kid grabs it, I'm much more inclined to tip than the dude squirting 2.5 shots of sour cream into the burrito because that is what the corporate stooges 500 miles away stipulate for the recipe.

Fair point, though I think the concept of the tip jar has been around in non-traditional service environments for decades. Especially when kids are the primary front-end staff. Maybe it's just more in our faces now with the advent of tablet-based checkout.

New pet peeve: teenage employees at an ice cream shop who don't give a rip when you tell them there is no toilet paper in the restroom. Maybe if I'd tipped the response might have been different but I doubt it.

People who take dumps at ice cream shops.

Yeah, given that the teenage employee is likely the person who has to clean said bathroom after you wreck shop in there, he/she is highly motivated to make sure there is no TP stocked and you take your deuceage elsewhere.

People who let their dog shit in other folks yards. My neighbor's dog shit in my front lawn...when I confronted him about it, he said, and I am not embellishing one word, "the guy who owned the house before you didn't care."

After my reaction to that, we haven't spoken in a year and a half.

People who let their dog shit in other folks yards. My neighbor's dog shit in my front lawn...when I confronted him about it, he said, and I am not embellishing one word, "the guy who owned the house before you didn't care."

After my reaction to that, we haven't spoken in a year and a half.

Like just the act of shitting, or not cleaning it up after?

Back