• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I've never played golf in Myrtle, need to get down there sometime.

Been fortunate to played many places around the country. Nowhere is better than Myrtle for price/range of golf courses.
Caledonia, Glenn Dornoch, Prestwick and Tidewater are my favorites.

Back to Pinehurst next week, couldn't be more fired up. Playing Full Cry on the way down, practice round on #2, then tournament rounds on #8 and #2, mixing in one of the old courses plus a turn around the new Cradle 9 hole course. #9 on Sunday before we head back. Coming off our state fourball where we were tied for the lead heading to the 16th before a couple unfortunate bounces knocked us out. Extra enjoyable this year since we have a one-month-old at home, in-laws visiting to cover for me. Plus we won the tourney spot so it's all expenses paid minus the practice rounds. Pretty much heaven on earth to me, plus our team is solid this year so we should have a decent chance at making the finals. Excitement level 10+.

Great playing in state fourball! Gotta be a thrill to be in the mix.

Great playing in state fourball! Gotta be a thrill to be in the mix.

Thanks - and yeah it was really fun. Tough course, greens were lightning. Went on a run on the front where I birdied 3 of 4 holes including a chip-in, partner made some great saves then birdied 10.

We were tied for the lead on the 16th tee box (not that we knew that), blind drive over a hill - I pushed my tee shot and it ended up in a fairway bunker, partner hit what we thought was a great drive up the right side. It took a weird bounce and ended up a foot behind a tree, dead. I took an extra club and absolutely pured a 6 iron right at the flag. Carried 5 yards long, hit a cart path, bounced 80 yards deep into the edge of a bunker on a different hole. Partner tried to hit a running cut and pulled it into the water. We both made double and that was the end. Disappointing but still really fun to play that well given the situation.

Back to Pinehurst next week, couldn't be more fired up. Playing Full Cry on the way down, practice round on #2, then tournament rounds on #8 and #2, mixing in one of the old courses plus a turn around the new Cradle 9 hole course. #9 on Sunday before we head back. Coming off our state fourball where we were tied for the lead heading to the 16th before a couple unfortunate bounces knocked us out. Extra enjoyable this year since we have a one-month-old at home, in-laws visiting to cover for me. Plus we won the tourney spot so it's all expenses paid minus the practice rounds. Pretty much heaven on earth to me, plus our team is solid this year so we should have a decent chance at making the finals. Excitement level 10+.

Cradle looks sick. Need to get to Pinehurst sometime soon.

They opened it up to the media with a fun game that could probably only work there or some place similar

4 Man Near/Far. Scramble from the closest tee shot, scramble from the farthest away tee shot. Add the scores together. Just hope you're not playing with someone that gets some hosel adjacent shots with wedges

It looks kind of weird from the road but I'm excited to check it out in a few weeks.

I'm playing at Pine Valley the next two weekends. As my dad's golf groups get older there are more and more opportunities to fill in for an injury!

It looks kind of weird from the road but I'm excited to check it out in a few weeks.

I'm playing at Pine Valley the next two weekends. As my dad's golf groups get older there are more and more opportunities to fill in for an injury!

Enjoy - unlike any other place I've been in the world. Also the most visually intimidating course I've ever played, despite the lack of any really imposing water hazards. And they have some of the best, if not the best, food I've ever eaten.

Was lucky enough to play the member guest at Merion a couple weeks ago. We finished 2nd net in our flight, and 2nd gross overall, lost by 1 in both. No clue how I got so in the zone, but I was -5 on my own gross ball in fairly tough conditions going into 17 the 2nd day. Of course I choked and finished double-bogey for 68, but I'll never forget that experience. Just an unbelievable experience overall with food and hospitality, as well.

Enjoy - unlike any other place I've been in the world. Also the most visually intimidating course I've ever played, despite the lack of any really imposing water hazards. And they have some of the best, if not the best, food I've ever eaten.

Was lucky enough to play the member guest at Merion a couple weeks ago. We finished 2nd net in our flight, and 2nd gross overall, lost by 1 in both. No clue how I got so in the zone, but I was -5 on my own gross ball in fairly tough conditions going into 17 the 2nd day. Of course I choked and finished double-bogey for 68, but I'll never forget that experience. Just an unbelievable experience overall with food and hospitality, as well.

Merion kicked my ass the four or five times I played it. I have a shallow swing with my irons and pick the ball and the rough out there just doesn't allow it. I think I shot 100 one of the rounds (8 handicap).

Mid Pines/Pine Needles. Both have inns. Across the street from each other.

Mid Pines/Pine Needles. Both have inns. Across the street from each other.

Stay at Needles though, much nicer. I think it would be the best package. If you want Pinehurst courses look into #7 and #8, I believe they have packages that include the two.

On Southern Pines. Played Talamore today — good track in great condition. Playing #9 tomorrow, which I’ve never played. Nicklaus track.

Pretty amazing how different Pinehurst looks in just a year. They replaced the opening fairways in front of the clubhouse with the Cradle, a par 3 course. Definitely fun to play, if a little gimmicky in spots. Longest hole is 120 so you can just take a couple wedges and a putter, toss them in an old school Pinehurst canvas bag they lend out and off you go. There's even a bag of Scotty Camerons to borrow from. They combined the 2 practice greens and some dead area to create a massive single green, about a third of which they used to create a new Thistle Dhu putting course. Huge mounding was added to mimic the old setup, and each hole now has a stand with drink holders (genius) as the marker. All the grass outside the greens and bunkers in the par 3 course were torn our so the entire area now looks like the sandy waste areas of #2, and the green looks like the undulations you find on 2 as well. Basically you finish a round and it's like golf Disney World around the clubhouse. I thought it was pretty awesome but wonder if others think it's too non-traditional.

It looks like #4 is going to get the #2 treatment - rough is getting ripped up, huge mountains of sand are pile up ready to get laid down around the fairways. Greens will be converted to champ bermuda. In my opinion #8 had clearly surpassed #4 as the 2nd best course there, so it'll be interesting to see if the update moves #4 back into its original place. Both 2 and 8 were in awesome shape, didn't play as well as we hoped but still had an awesome time. In one of my rounds on #2 I made 6 birdies which was by far the best I've played on that course.

On Southern Pines. Played Talamore today — good track in great condition. Playing #9 tomorrow, which I’ve never played. Nicklaus track.

Talamore was my middle school golf course. Not sure I’ve played it more than twice since then and not since 2005 or so. Glad to hear it is in good shape.

Played #9 a bunch growing up when it was National. It went to shit for awhile but I’m sure Pinehurst turned it around when they bought it. Hopefully you hit a high fade with your irons because almost every green plays for it.

I’ve always preferred 4 to 8 but I’m definitely in the minority. The first hole of #8 is easy but I swear I average a double on it. Always puts me in a bad mood.

Playing Pine Needles in a couple weeks, never played it before. It will be the end of November so what kind of shape should I expect it to be in?

Playing Pine Needles in a couple weeks, never played it before. It will be the end of November so what kind of shape should I expect it to be in?

The new greens stay nice all year and the rest should be in great shape. Needles is great, enjoy.

Staying at Monarch Beach resort in Laguna beach in January. Planning on Playing at Monarch and Pelican Hill, anyone else have any good recs for golf in the area? I have played Pelican Hill before and it is dope, so I am pretty pumped.

Played Spyglass last week. Had perfect weather! We had the second tee-time on their twilight rate. We hardly waited on the folks in front of us and no one pushed us - we were playing as a twosome. It was a great day. It cost about $265 with cart for twilight rate - it was around $400 for the normal rate. The course was in great shape and we loved it - the first 5 holes are especially beautiful, as those are the ones near the ocean. After that the course becomes a bit ordinary - but still really nice, and pretty difficult. If I went back I would probably just play the front 9 twice - just for the views.

With the late start we had to quit because of darkness on the 17th. If we had focused on playing faster earlier in the round we could have finished, no problem. The guy I was playing with is a high handicap so we didn't move that fast.

All in all, we had a great day but I don't think I would pay almost $300 to play it again...

BTW, I have never seen so many deer on a course - there were 10 on one hole! There was a big buck standing guard, another big buck lounging in the sand trap, two yearling bucks bucking heads and a few does just chilling... They wouldn't even pay attention to you until you got within 20 feet of them...

Last edited:
Back