• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I'm playing Pinehurst No. 2 and No. 8 in a week and a half. Does anyone have a caddie that you would recommend? I'd love to specifically request a good one based on a good personal experience. Thanks in advance.

I'm playing Pinehurst No. 2 and No. 8 in a week and a half. Does anyone have a caddie that you would recommend? I'd love to specifically request a good one based on a good personal experience. Thanks in advance.

No help on specific caddies, but I much prefer to ride at No 8. It's an awesome, big course, but doesn't have the same history, obviously, as #2 or the other courses out of the main resort.

Russell Bauer was our caddie last year on #2. He was great, no idea if he's still there or not.

Agree on #8, isn't the same kind of walking/caddie experience as the courses that are near the clubhouse. Awesome course, just not as tricky and not as friendly a walk. I've actually never really seen caddies out there come to think of it.

I should have clarified as I am looking for a caddie on No. 2. Thanks for your comments so far.

Played a real gem today- Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken. Haven’t enjoyed a round down here as much as this. If you are lucky enough to get an invite, don’t pass up a chance to play this true throw back golf course.

Can't wait for Xmas. My cousin and I are playing Streamsong Red and Black and staying at the clubhouse at the resort. Black is supposed to be pretty great. I played Red and Blue last year. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but if you are planning a guys' golf trip weekend definitely consider this place. It's Disneyworld for golfers.

I'll be doing a loop of Ireland in late December/early January, any must plays? I won't be taking my clubs but last time I was there I didn't have any trouble renting so not too worried about it.

I'll be doing a loop of Ireland in late December/early January, any must plays? I won't be taking my clubs but last time I was there I didn't have any trouble renting so not too worried about it.
European Club was my clear favorite of the three courses I played there.

Can't wait for Xmas. My cousin and I are playing Streamsong Red and Black and staying at the clubhouse at the resort. Black is supposed to be pretty great. I played Red and Blue last year. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but if you are planning a guys' golf trip weekend definitely consider this place. It's Disneyworld for golfers.

My oldest was there last week; just loved it. Every Course, just awesome.

OK Pit golfers, just found out that I somehow have close to $500 to spend in pro shop credit that is going to expire at the end of the year. There's nothing I really need, and I hate shopping for myself. I have too many golf shirts/quarter zips and recently got some rain gear.

It was suggested that I get fitted for a new driver, but I love my current driver, and don't really care about an extra 10 yards of distance. My PW is kind of beat to hell, so I was thinking about trying a Vokey PW, and maybe all new wedges - 46, 51, 56, 60. They're about 2.5 years old. Thoughts? Suggestions?

OK Pit golfers, just found out that I somehow have close to $500 to spend in pro shop credit that is going to expire at the end of the year. There's nothing I really need, and I hate shopping for myself. I have too many golf shirts/quarter zips and recently got some rain gear.

It was suggested that I get fitted for a new driver, but I love my current driver, and don't really care about an extra 10 yards of distance. My PW is kind of beat to hell, so I was thinking about trying a Vokey PW, and maybe all new wedges - 46, 51, 56, 60. They're about 2.5 years old. Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you play a lot (and it sounds like you do) they say you should replace the wedges every couple of years. Sounds like a no-brainer. I play Callway wedges and love them, but people seems to really like the Vokeys too.

Sneaky trick someone told me - you can usually use shop credit to buy just about anything from a supplier to the golf shop, not necessarily anything normally in the shop inventory or which you may even find in a golf shop ever. Examples - polo catalog will have plenty of clothing and even home goods you'd never see in a golf shop but you should be able to order it. The oakley catalog has ski goggles. All sorts of things. If you need something unrelated to golf, it's worth a shot to ask the shop if they can order it for you.

Ok, time for me to start planning my next golf trip with friends. So far we have done Pinehurst, San Francisco area, NC mountains, and Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run.

Bandon is an option. Scottsdale area is another. People are hesitant to do Florida/SC since we do the trip in August. Any other suggestions? Best trip you have done?

I know we have played this game before but I can't remember what everyone said.

What is the optimum pinehurst trip to do? Have some friends out of town who want to join so was thinking just sat and sun, fri sat and sun, just fri and sat, any suggestions?

Depends on budget and whether you really want to play #2.

I'd play Pine Needles, #4, #8, Dormie, Mid Pines, Mid South. In no particular order. Staying in Pinehurst at one of the resort properties is nice, but it's cool to stay at Pine Needles too.

Just saw that #4 is closed for the next year for a redesign.

Vokey wedgeworks.

Or buy a Scotty Newport and ebay it for cash.

Back