• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

So I have played two immensely fun courses in the last month...Bandon and TPC Scottsdale. Played all 4 Bandon courses 3 weeks ago, and TPC Scottsdale this past Sunday. The stands were up on the Stadium hole. We all were trying to imagine 20k+ drunk fans screaming while we were trying to hit. Unreal.

Ok, time for me to start planning my next golf trip with friends. So far we have done Pinehurst, San Francisco area, NC mountains, and Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run.

Bandon is an option. Scottsdale area is another. People are hesitant to do Florida/SC since we do the trip in August. Any other suggestions? Best trip you have done?

I know we have played this game before but I can't remember what everyone said.

Bandon. Just did it and it is awesome. Pure golf trip experience...no distractions.

Go to Scotland.

Definitely. Here is a great basic Scotland trip:

Fly in and out of Glasgow. Do the west coast first. Depending upon how much time you want to spend, play Turnberry Ailsa Course, Prestwick (a must), Royal Troon (they used to have a package where you played both the Open course and their smaller Portland course), Machrie, Glasgow Gailes, and Western Gailes. Stay the entire time in the South Beach Hotel, just down the road from the first tee at Royal Troon.

On the east coast, play Carnoustie, St. Andrews (Old Course, New Course, Jubilee Course), Kingsbarns, and Cruden Bay (the only one that will require a bit of a drive, but well worth it). Stay the entire time in the Russell Hotel in the amazing village of St. Andrews and just up the road from the first tee at the Old Course.

Have a pint of McEwan‘s 80 Schilling Ale at The Dunvegan Hotel bar after rounds at St. Andrews. Get caddies everywhere. They will be one of the best things about your trip. Buy them a round at pubs near the courses you play after your round.

You‘re welcome.

The Dunvegan is basically the Chili's of St. Andrews. Go find a local pub, like the Keys, and not one filled with tourists. ;)

Looks like I'm heading back to Scotland for my 3rd trip next summer.

N. Berwick
Castle
New
Old
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Turnberry

The Dunvegan is basically the Chili's of St. Andrews. Go find a local pub, like the Keys, and not one filled with tourists. ;)

N. Berwick
Castle
New
Old
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Turnberry

The best part of this trip is you are a scratch golfer and are the worst guy on the trip. Blows my mind. Glad I'm not going. You guys would have to give me 4-5 a side :)

N. Berwick
Castle
New
Old
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Turnberry

That's awesome. I need to play Turnberry again, my first time I walked off the plane and onto the first tee. Wasn't a fan.

I would rank the courses above: Western Gailes, Carnoustie, Castle, Old, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, Turnberry, New, Prestwick

That's awesome. I need to play Turnberry again, my first time I walked off the plane and onto the first tee. Wasn't a fan.

I would rank the courses above: Western Gailes, Carnoustie, Castle, Old, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, Turnberry, New, Prestwick

I would rank Prestwick last among that group as well. But it is so quirky (a blind par 3) and the first 12 British Opens were played there. It‘s a must play. I‘d rank Carnoustie as the best of the lot. But I like Royal Troon better than all of them.

Couldn't snag a Royal Troon tee time but working on it.

I personally have mixed views on Carnoustie. Love the circular routing, but feels like every green is protected by the same 2 pot bunkers. Will be playing it with the grandstands up, which should be cool.

I am most pumped about Western Gailes.

As a golf architecture nut, I'm pretty interested in the template holes that originated at Prestwick.

Excited to see the changes at Turnberry. I loved it before.

The best part of this trip is you are a scratch golfer and are the worst guy on the trip. Blows my mind. Glad I'm not going. You guys would have to give me 4-5 a side :)

I'm the worst golfer of the foursome by 3 shots. Zero chance strokes will be given. Need to work on my game or this could get expensive.

Western Gailes is in my top three of Scotland. I would probably rank them overall:

Royal Dornoch
Western Gailes
Trump Aberdeen
Carnoustie

I'll add that Kingsbarns was a bust for me the first time I played it. Wasn't in good shape and felt like Americanized links golf. The history and quirkiness of the links courses is what I enjoy. Kingsbarns felt somewhat sanitized.

Hoping I enjoy it more this time around.

My rankings of some of these I've played are below. I'm a sucker for the most scenic courses, which is why Turnberry was my clear number 1. Prestwick was fun, but we had already played Western Gailes that morning, and don't think we were able to really appreciate the history among the tricked-up holes.

Turnberry
Troon - Old
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Troon - Portland

Going to be flying out of Orlando for my honeymoon in April and talked the fiance into staying a night at Streamsong before heading home. I've played the Red and am going to get a round in on the new Black course. Hoping to get 36 in and knock the Blue course out as well but should be a nice finish to the weekend either way. Pretty pumped.

I'll add that Kingsbarns was a bust for me the first time I played it. Wasn't in good shape and felt like Americanized links golf. The history and quirkiness of the links courses is what I enjoy. Kingsbarns felt somewhat sanitized.

Hoping I enjoy it more this time around.

I‘ve played Kingsbarns twice and it just doesn‘t have the same feel as courses like The Old, Turnberry, and Troon. It feels artificial, if that makes sense.

My Top Five, in order:

Royal Troon
Carnoustie
Western Gailes
Turnberry Ailsa
Old

My rankings of some of these I've played are below. I'm a sucker for the most scenic courses, which is why Turnberry was my clear number 1. Prestwick was fun, but we had already played Western Gailes that morning, and don't think we were able to really appreciate the history among the tricked-up holes.

Turnberry
Troon - Old
Western Gailes
Prestwick
Troon - Portland

Surprised to see someone rank the Portland course that highly. To me, Portland was the course where Troon let‘s the ladies play.

Back