• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Not to be a dick but this isn't correct. First, you can't play a provisional for a ball lost in a hazard. Only for a ball that may be OB or lose outside of a hazard. Also, regardless of whether you're playing a provisional or you're just taking a penalty for hitting it in the water, you can always just tee it up again. You definitely do not have to drop it on a tee box.

Look no further than Freddy Couples hole in three at the Players for an example.

I take that back. You’re right. I just watched it on YouTube.

Re-playing your shot (aka stroke and distance) is always an option. If that shot was a tee shot, you have the option to re-tee.

Weird situation this weekend at a buddy's member-guest. I'm playing lights out going into the par 3 17th hole, but push my 4 iron right and it ends up on the back tee of number 18. Pretty lucky break, but has a tight lie and I flub my attempted flop shot into the thick fescue. Next flop takes off and almost airmails the green, with really weird contact. I look down, and there was another ball (not from my group) buried in the grass directly below my ball.

Pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong, but I asked the pro after the round to make sure. A previously lost ball is treated the same as any other loose impediment. So oddly enough, there's no way I could have moved it, as my ball would have definitely moved. Anyways, made a good up and down for double and still scored well, but a very unsettling hole overall.

Weird situation this weekend at a buddy's member-guest. I'm playing lights out going into the par 3 17th hole, but push my 4 iron right and it ends up on the back tee of number 18. Pretty lucky break, but has a tight lie and I flub my attempted flop shot into the thick fescue. Next flop takes off and almost airmails the green, with really weird contact. I look down, and there was another ball (not from my group) buried in the grass directly below my ball.

Pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong, but I asked the pro after the round to make sure. A previously lost ball is treated the same as any other loose impediment. So oddly enough, there's no way I could have moved it, as my ball would have definitely moved. Anyways, made a good up and down for double and still scored well, but a very unsettling hole overall.

It would have been cool if 2 balls would have come flying up from your shot out of the fescue. Now that would have been a true WTF! moment.

We had our club championship this weekend. First round leader shot 69 and was 3 up on next closest guy. I was playing in next to last group after a first round 75, with 2 guys who had shot 74. The overnight leader misread his tee time and completely missed it, resulting in a DQ. We all found out on the 4th hole, and that's when one of my playing partners decided to pwn our course for all time. He walked 5 green even for his round and proceeded to make 8 birdies and an eagle for a 62. He broke the course record from our new back tees (3 years old) by 3 shots. He never made a putt over 12 feet. Never holed out from off the green. Pretty much the best round I have played with in my life. Flawless.

For the record, I was +3 through 5 holes and played bogey free 4 under the rest of the way to shoot -1 and get smoked by 9 shots.

Also, congrats to Sleepy for his first career ace on Saturday!

Ha, that reminds me of a 3 round tourney I played in a couple years ago. First day is 36 and me and a buddy played really well. I shot 71-69 and he shot 70-68 on a course that hosted a Pub Links Amateur back when that was still a thing.

We got in hoping we'd be leading, and were dismayed to see some random amateur shot 68-67. But hey, not too far off... Then another guy came in with 59-62. Nothing like shooting under par on a tough course and trailing by almost 20 shots.

I played in a scramble a few years ago and we shot a "one under" -23. Thought that would take it down but a team shot -25. Someone said that a guy had a double eagle but they had already played their eagle shots when they realized it and took the albatross but whatever. I figured that would require none of them hitting the green on a shortish par 5 (or else they would have pulled the pin and seen it) so probably a lie.

Question proposed to me (hypothetical of course):

You have 1 month to hit as many shots as possible on a single par 3 (Say reasonable length 145-175). You can stand there all day, however long you want and hit shots there are no restrictions. If you hit a hole in one at any point you win 5 Million Dollars. You fail to hit a hole in one and you go to jail for 1 year.

Accept the challenge?

You have 1 month to hit as many shots as possible on a single par 3 (Say reasonable length 145-175). You can stand there all day, however long you want and hit shots there are no restrictions. If you hit a hole in one at any point you win 5 Million Dollars. You fail to hit a hole in one and you go to jail for 1 year.

Accept the challenge?

Would this be prison like RJKarl describes it where you do gay stuff but it's not really gay, or would it be like a minimum security prison with a bunch of other golfers where they pay you 25 cents a week to do laundry and read books?

Asking for a friend.

Accept the challenge?

Can you have someone move the balls on the green out of the way as you hit? Can you light it up so you can hit at night? Odds of making a hole in one are around 5000 to 1 for a low handicap golfer. I assume that means on any given shot. If you hit 1000 shots a day you could hit around 30,000 in a month. From what I remember of statistics, it seems that would make it pretty likely that you would make 1?

1,000 balls a day is a lot of work. You'd certainly groove your swing, but there is a decent chance of injury, if not certain fatigue.

So my new irons came in on Friday (Titleist AP3). They just didn't feel the same as when I was fit for them. I had the grips built up a little so wasn't sure if that was making them feel heavier or what.

Went over to club repair place and sure enough they weighed out at D7 (standard is D2). I expected them to be D3 or 4 like my current clubs since I have them 1/2inch long. Shocked they'd be so off.

Getting on monitor again on Thursday to compare the new club against the demo and see the difference and confirm I have the right shaft in it, then likely sending back to Titleist for them to fix their problem.

Accept the challenge?

As long as it's not hit -> walk to ball -> walk back to tee -> repeat I absolutely would. I think I'd take that bet on a week length as long as the weather worked out in my favor.

As long as it's not hit -> walk to ball -> walk back to tee -> repeat I absolutely would. I think I'd take that bet on a week length as long as the weather worked out in my favor.

Even more so on a 145 yardage, just smoothing PW in there and I think it would happen pretty easily

Definitely not hit walk to ball, just assume there is someone removing the balls from the green. I've always said that I would take it too, but getting down to the last week, days, hours and not having hit one yet I couldn't imagine the nerves that kick in.

I absolutely take that. I think if I had enough prep time (aka get my hands in shape to handle hitting so many shots in a short period of time) I would do it from 145 in 24 hours.

Back