• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Ok, here is a question: how many practice swings do you take before each shot? I take zero but might flip the club back and forth a few times before a chip/pitch. Guys I played with this weekend take a legit two to three practice swings before each shot.

I grew up with guys that can play 36 holes in 4.5 hours as a sixsome. This past weekend we averaged over 4 hours on empty courses. Drives me insane.

If on a tee or a normal lie in the fairway it's one swing. I can see taking more if in the rough or awkward stance and need to get the feel.

The better you are the more practice swings you're allowed as long as you keep the pace up. If you suck you better play fast.

I play with 2 guys who are both 1 handicaps and they take forever. One of the guys couldn't play in under 3 hours by himself. Enjoy playing with 2 20 handicaps that keep it moving much more

Played over the weekend here in Boone. reminded myself why I hate public course golf. I'm not a snob but the entire course was jammed up with jorts and people that have no idea what they're doing. Slowest nine holes of my life. No rhythm at all. I hit a shot..waited 10 minutes.. hit a shot..waited 10 minutes. Uggh
No good, affordable private options in this area that I know of.

We played bingo, bango, bongo. It's a pretty fun game that helps with people of multiple skill levels.
Problem with this game is if people are playing to win, the game stops feeling like golf. Too much strategy that goes against actually putting up the lowest round.

Problem with this game is if people are playing to win, the game stops feeling like golf. Too much strategy that goes against actually putting up the lowest round.

Yeah gotta lay up so you're first to hit into the green don't you?

New game someone introduced me to a few weeks back he called Scotch is pretty fun.

2 on 2, full handicap (helpful if everyone is in the same general handicap range)

4 dots available per hole 1) closest to the pin 2) low net team score (add two players together), 3) low net individual score, 4) birdie. Dots double if your team sweeps the hole (i.e. 8 dots).

The team that has the most dots tees off first each hole and the team that is behind can press after seeing their shots to double the bet. After the team behind tees off the leading team can press back to triple the bet if they wish. If score is tied there are no presses allowed.

Was fun and even playing for 50 cents a point can get aggressive quickly.

Yeah gotta lay up so you're first to hit into the green don't you?
Right. 400 yard par 4. Other three all hit driver okay and are 125-150 in. Your best bet is to go 3-wood and put yourself 160 out. First to hit green and not giving up too much of a shot at closest to pin or winning hole.

But the worst strategy aspect is let's say you went OB on your first two balls. You now have zero shot at winning the hole or getting first to green. So rather than approaching the green from 120 out, you chip it to the edge of the green where you'll have a putt from off the green to ensure you get closest to pin.

I mean by the rules, it's legal. And if you're goal is simply to win points, it's the right strategic move. But it just doesn't feel fun. And it's too hard to say gentleman's game or anything like that because where is the line? The 3-wood example definitely feels legit but the second feels gross.

Can't the closest to the pin just have to be in regulation? Seems like that would clear up the hitting it right off the green to putt or chip up.

Ok, here is a question: how many practice swings do you take before each shot? I take zero but might flip the club back and forth a few times before a chip/pitch. Guys I played with this weekend take a legit two to three practice swings before each shot.

I grew up with guys that can play 36 holes in 4.5 hours as a sixsome. This past weekend we averaged over 4 hours on empty courses. Drives me insane.

Played with a guy a couple of times who took 3 full practice swings on every shot. And not quick, getting loose swings. Oh no, this fucker set up to a non-existent ball, looked up to check his line, then swung like he was hitting the ball. Then did it 2 more times.

If that's not bad enough, the majority of the time he was in the fairway he'd take divots with his practice swings. So he'd leave 3 divots right in a line, then an 8 inch gap, then his real divot. Infuriating.

Can't the closest to the pin just have to be in regulation? Seems like that would clear up the hitting it right off the green to putt or chip up.

Right, you can, but it defeats purpose of game. Then the best player just ends up getting the most points as person closest to pin in regulation very likely wins the hole, and also often is first on green.

Whole point of BBB from what I understand is to level playing field and give all abilities a chance to score

I don’t honk it’s worthwhile to take a practice swing to adjust to the different club length and test the surface or rough. The pros do it.

If you're in the area and you want to see some really good players up close and personal, the SAS qualifier is at Wilson Country Club Monday. Pre-qualifier is today. They went elsewhere last year, but came back to Wilson after some complaints. Golf course is really good...bent greens almost perfect. Haven't seen the tee sheet yet, but two years ago there were multiple regular tour winners and even a couple of major winners playing. I enjoyed watching Steve Jones, Frank Lickliter and Mark Brooks.

of course new irons are supposed to get in late today - planning to play sunday but looks like probably will be a complete washout

Rules question. My course has a par four where there is a water hazard, yellow stakes, about 100 yards off the tee. One of the guys I’m playing with hits a ball that lands in the hazard. There is nothing but shit between the tee and the hazard, so he elects to go back to the tee box, correctly keeping the point of entry between his ball and the hole. But he puts it on a tee. I said he had to drop the ball on the tee box, not re-tee.

He argued that you can always play your next shot from the previous spot, which I agreed with. But can he put it on a tee?

But according to the rules, the answer is that it depends. If he is playing a provisional in case he lost it then yes he can place it on a tee. If he is using a drop, placing it behind where it crossed the hazard then he can not place it on a tee. *i own a golf cart and club membership, so kind of a golf expert fella.

But according to the rules, the answer is that it depends. If he is playing a provisional in case he lost it then yes he can place it on a tee. If he is using a drop, placing it behind where it crossed the hazard then he can not place it on a tee. *i own a golf cart and club membership, so kind of a golf expert fella.

That’s what I thought. He was not playing a provisional. Everyone clearly saw it land in the hazard.

Not to be a dick but this isn't correct. First, you can't play a provisional for a ball lost in a hazard. Only for a ball that may be OB or lose outside of a hazard. Also, regardless of whether you're playing a provisional or you're just taking a penalty for hitting it in the water, you can always just tee it up again. You definitely do not have to drop it on a tee box.

Look no further than Freddy Couples hole in three at the Players for an example.

Not to be a dick but this isn't correct. First, you can't play a provisional for a ball lost in a hazard. Only for a ball that may be OB or lose outside of a hazard. Also, regardless of whether you're playing a provisional or you're just taking a penalty for hitting it in the water, you can always just tee it up again. You definitely do not have to drop it on a tee box.

Look no further than Freddy Couples hole in three at the Players for an example.

That hole out for a three was made from the drop area.

Back