• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

This has become a bit of a meta-thread for DC restaurants, so I will suggest people give District Kitchen a shot, especially if you like charcuterie and pickled stuff. Chef used to work a Mendocino and Sonoma, and I have always liked his food. This is is own spot.

I've only had small plates at the bar, but loved pretty much everything. They also take their cocktails very seriously.

The line moves fine at Red Apron but if you want to sit down you will wait awhile.

what about at the other places? is it too crowded to really enjoy and explore it?

is Union Market worth going to on a Sat afternoon, or just an absolute zoo?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2013/02/21/pork-for-it/

this makes me really want to hit up Red Apron

I went to business school with Nate's wife - one of our projects was to work on Red Apron's marketing strategy. Best project ever - had to try a lot of samples... His pastrami is easily the best I've ever tasted - by a huge margin. Not to mention the homemade mustard to go with it. We went to Union Market back when it was just getting going and it was still pretty crowded - I imagine they're packed these days at prime time. If you head there on a Saturday, please post about the experience.

If you head to UM on Sat, I would wait until after 2:00 or so. At 12:30 two Sats ago it was an absolute shitshow. I've been a number of times and this was the first time I'd seen it like this, but I think that's mainly because it was the first time I'd been since most everything has opened.

We went last Sunday around 4, and crowds were not bad (it is open til 8). Large lot in front, so parking was not a problem for us (not sure if the lot fills all the way up at peak times). We went to Rappahannock Oyster Co, but def want to get back and try Red Apron, Border Springs, etc.

There is a big lot accessible from 6th. When I went last time it was almost completely full. Street parking is generally available too if you are willing to walk a block or two.

yeah that's fine. wanna try Rappahannock as well. last summer we went to their original outpost at the mouth of the Rappahannock River in Topping, VA. and had a blast. if you ever make it out that way I highly suggest it. it's basically a shack by the marina but they have fantastic food on top of their great oysters.

I echo going later in the afternoon to ensure movability. We've been going since it first opened and it's definitely MUCH crazier in the early days (especially if you want to sit for lunch somewhere). Haven't tried Red Apron yet, but it's on our list next time we go.

I strongly recommend Trickling Springs Creamery for milk and ice cream. We stop by for milk frequently, and the chocolate and peanut butter ice cream is amazing (also recommend peppermint and chocolate marshmallow). The lemon basil pita chips at the stand on the far right side (as your coming in the door) are also really good (the stand has moved around a few times, but was here last time we visited...they also have lots of samples of stuff to try).

Trickling Springs is awesome. I really think it's the best ice cream on the planet.

I would also recommend going to the cheese place that does wine, beer or cider tastings at their bar. It's always a good experience.

I echo going later in the afternoon to ensure movability. We've been going since it first opened and it's definitely MUCH crazier in the early days (especially if you want to sit for lunch somewhere). Haven't tried Red Apron yet, but it's on our list next time we go.

I strongly recommend Trickling Springs Creamery for milk and ice cream. We stop by for milk frequently, and the chocolate and peanut butter ice cream is amazing (also recommend peppermint and chocolate marshmallow). The lemon basil pita chips at the stand on the far right side (as your coming in the door) are also really good (the stand has moved around a few times, but was here last time we visited...they also have lots of samples of stuff to try).

I noticed on Sunday the drinking starts at like 10 which is awesome. All the seats are gone before noon at all locations.

Trying to get a seat a Rappahannock is royal pain in the ass. People be hovering like vultures and will not hesitate to be dicks and straight up gank someone else's seat.

Trying to get a seat a Rappahannock is royal pain in the ass. People be hovering like vultures and will not hesitate to be dicks and straight up gank someone else's seat.

def have to go early.

Got there at 2 and it was fairly busy but manageable. Had a great muffuletta from Red Apron and got a taste of their first Bluejacket beer: a pomegranate saison which was good for what it was; fiancée raved about it and tried to take my sample in addition to the full glass of it she got. Was kicking myself I forgot to bring my knives to be sharpened. Will definitely be back soon.

Just called Sushi Taro on a whim and was able to snag a seat at the bar for omakase tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Went to the industry takeover thing last night at Graffiato at the last minute. That shit was crazy. They close the restaurant at 10pm and let in a huge line of people - everyone rushes to the back bar and out comes plate after plate of free food. This time it was Jenn Carroll and Kevin Sbraga from Top Chef doing the food with Mike, plus Derek Brown handled the drinks which were like $5. Steak tartar, homemade poutines, pastrami and potatoes plate (probably the best thing all night), a mixed fish ceviche, a couple different pizzas and a few veggie sides...

Pretty fun stuff if you can deal with the crowd. Food and drinks were all great.

Back