• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“I love Steve Forbes so damn much!”

Steve Forbes is the right coach at the right time in Wake Forest basketball history. The opportunity he has over the next five years is huge. He’s the antithesis of a loser coach like Bzzz or Manning. Special things are happening…

I don't disagree with any of this but let's also thank God for John Currie. Because, as we all well know, Wellman would have NEVER hired Forbes. Hell, I'm not so sure Wellman wouldn't have run Clawson off by this point.

I don't disagree with any of this but let's also thank God for John Currie. Because, as we all well know, Wellman would have NEVER hired Forbes. Hell, I'm not so sure Wellman wouldn't have run Clawson off by this point.

So true. Forbes could not be more of an anti-Wellman coach and why we are so thankful he is gone and Currie doing work.

Wellman would not have fired Manning at the height of the Pandemic. Thank God Currie had the balls to make a tough decision.

Currie’s hire of Forbes was genius. Coaches who can work the transfer portal and build teams quickly on the fly will be the stars in the NIL era. High school recruiting is of less import. Currie realized this before few did and Forbes experience building teams quickly is more valuable now than ever. Currie is one smart dude.

Currie’s hire of Forbes was genius. Coaches who can work the transfer portal and build teams quickly on the fly will be the stars in the NIL era. High school recruiting is of less import. Currie realized this before few did and Forbes experience building teams quickly is more valuable now than ever. Currie is one smart dude.

Currie must also be able to see into the future:

"ut it wasn't until 2021 that the door to free agency was blown off its hinges. First, the NCAA's "one-time transfer rule" took effect on April 28, 2021. Then on July 1, 2021, the NCAA made it possible for athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. Now, just like coaches, players can easily change schools and, perhaps, strike it rich in the process.

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring. If denied a transfer by a coach, a long process could ensue."

Forbes was hired before we knew the transfer portal would become what it is today.

Steve Forbes is the right coach at the right time in Wake Forest basketball history. The opportunity he has over the next five years is huge. He’s the antithesis of a loser coach like Bzzz or Manning. Special things are happening…
This!!!

I think Currie just saw a good coach in Steve Forbes and the transfer rule happened to come along and we had a coach who was uniquely suited to take advantage of it.

Currie must also be able to see into the future:

"ut it wasn't until 2021 that the door to free agency was blown off its hinges. First, the NCAA's "one-time transfer rule" took effect on April 28, 2021. Then on July 1, 2021, the NCAA made it possible for athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness. Now, just like coaches, players can easily change schools and, perhaps, strike it rich in the process.

The one-time transfer rule allows athletes to transfer to a different school one time during their career and play immediately without getting permission from their coach or school. Previously, athletes had to get permission from their current school and then sit out a year as a penalty for transferring. If denied a transfer by a coach, a long process could ensue."

Forbes was hired before we knew the transfer portal would become what it is today.

You’re right. No one discusses ideas before they happen or can read situations that are developing based on actions which are unfolding. The April 2021 action happened in a complete vacuum and caught everyone by complete surprise. My bad.

Coaches and ADs get paid good money to see the future and make decisions to take advantage of that future.

why do we think that forbes is so well suited to the transfer market?

Because he has plenty of experience recruiting transfers.

why do we think that forbes is so well suited to the transfer market?

Because he coached at JUCO where coaches routinely have to remake teams. The way this team has come together is incredible. It's like they've been playing together for years,

Interesting how the thing that some wold see as a negative on his resume is now experience that he's using to great benefit.

Forbes didn’t just build and rebuild at Jucos. He had to build and rebuild several teams over 5 years at ETSU. This could not have been lost on Currie when he hired him. Forbes’ unique and perhaps non-traditional background for a P5 coach puts him ahead of the curve against other P5 coaches in this new environment.

Forbes didn’t just build and rebuild at Jucos. He had to build and rebuild several teams over 5 years at ETSU. This could not have been lost on Currie when he hired him. Forbes’ unique and perhaps non-traditional background for a P5 coach puts him ahead of the curve against other P5 coaches in this new environment.

And unlike Bz and Manning he is 1) down to earth and relatable with players, 2) very relational and you can tell he is great at building relationships in a genuine way and 3) very analytical of the game and knows what he wants to see happen on the floor. I'm sure there is more but just so stark a difference in personality, demeanor and just truly enjoying his job and not only coaching but mentoring the young men.

And unlike Bz and Manning he is 1) down to earth and relatable with players, 2) very relational and you can tell he is great at building relationships in a genuine way and 3) very analytical of the game and knows what he wants to see happen on the floor. I'm sure there is more but just so stark a difference in personality, demeanor and just truly enjoying his job and not only coaching but mentoring the young men.

Forbes is not erudite like Skip was. However, he has been able to connect with his players and has seemed to also connect with the fans. Some of the stuff is a little silly, but fitting to the fact that basketball is still a game. People go to be entertained. Forbes understands that. He also understands that winning basketball is entertaining basketball.

Forbes is not erudite like Skip was. However, he has been able to connect with his players and has seemed to also connect with the fans. Some of the stuff is a little silly, but fitting to the fact that basketball is still a game. People go to be entertained. Forbes understands that. He also understands that winning basketball is entertaining basketball.
His erudition of after game analysis is Clawson level. Just outstanding. In addition he is the anti coach K by just admitting it's a game and not foundational to the human condition where he can grift books and such.

One of the more exciting aspects of this turn around is the great story Forbes can now tell recruits.
Have to believe we are going be in the mix for major talent going forward.

Back