• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

14 favorite songs of 2014

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
LISTS

Here are my 14 favorite songs of 2014. I hope some of y'all with knowledge of things like movies will post y'alls lists too.

1. The Men - Pearly Gates
2. Sun Kil Moon - Carissa
3. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining
4. Run The Jewels - Lie, Cheat Steal
5. Pusha T - Lunch Money
6. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS IX
7. War on Drugs - Red Eyes
8. Flying Lotus f. Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me
9. Schoolboy Q - Studio
10. tune-yards - Water Fountain
11. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love is Killing Me
12. Parquet Courts - Dear Ramona
13. Strand of Oaks - Goshen '97
14. Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me

I've read a lot of these kinds of lists this year, and there are a ton of super snobby critics who have Taylor Swift on their lists. I can't be the only one that has given her music a lot of listens and legitimately dislikes it, can I?

Other critical darlings I don't "get":

Future Islands
Angel Olson
La Roux
Sturgill Simpson (I do like a couple songs, but I'm not nuts about it)
Perfect Pussy
Perfume Genius
YG

videos continued (only 10 allowed per post)

Listening now. Will report level of satisfaction.

LISTS

Here are my 14 favorite songs of 2014. I hope some of y'all with knowledge of things like movies will post y'alls lists too.

5. Pusha T - Lunch Money
9. Schoolboy Q - Studio

No Barr Brothers??? Only half kidding...

1. The Men - Pearly Gates - Thrashing rockabilly.
2. Sun Kil Moon - Carissa - Steve Earle wannabe. Not bad stuff.
3. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining - Nice vibe and rhythm on this song that takes on added meaning when you realize that she's talking about the lining of her vagina.
4. Run The Jewels - Lie, Cheat Steal - Lie, Cheat, Steal, Kill. Everybody doin' it. This chorus knows about life.
5. Pusha T - Lunch Money - Now this song is some good shit. It sounds like a Kanye song. I had to look and see if it was ye. Reminds me of my last weekend at the club.
6. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS IX - Pointless. Not derivative though. Nobody ever thought of making a song this bad before.
7. War on Drugs - Red Eyes - The War on Drugs can suck my dick. But I'm a dad so I like this song. Too long though. Should have been able to achieve the same effect in 4:59.
8. Flying Lotus f. Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me - Huh? Hey TAB, go ahead and delete that Flying Lotus from your phone.
9. Schoolboy Q - Studio - Sounds like about 5,000 other meaningless hip hop songs. Like his use of the words "nigger" and "pussy" though.
10. tune-yards - Water Fountain - This is absolute fucking shit. I saw that it was a tuneyards song and didn't even listen to it. Just kidding. I listened for about 20 seconds. Total fucking shit.
11. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love is Killing Me - Average looking chick. Sounds like she's banging on an empty barrel in an alleyway at the beginning. Way too long. Too many notes. I'm not moved.
12. Parquet Courts - Dear Ramona - I hate this guy's voice. Wants to sound like VU or something.
13. Strand of Oaks - Goshen '97 - Not good. Glad that one's over.
14. Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me - Pretty good. Women are so needy.

Still listening.

Last edited:
Track by track writeup:

LISTS

A rollicking good time for all parties involved. Reminds me of the atmospherics of When the Levee Breaks, feeling like you're in a storm. This one feels like one last triumphant joyride of a super fucking depraved set of maniacs. The barroom piano is an underrated feature of the tune, part of the just generally great second side of Tomorrow's Hits.

The Great Lakes region of the US are home to some outstanding musicians: Cloud Nothings, Frontier Ruckus, . Though Sun Kil Moon is based in California now, they're an Ohio band in songwriting sensibility and execution; Mark Kozelek is from Massilon, OH. That's flyover country. Offensive linemen at Ohio State territory. The "third coast" of the Great Lakes is a mix of blue collar depression, manic creativity spurred on by desolate towns, and just terrible weather. But the people of the Midwest are generally some of the nicest, hardest working people you'll meet. This song is about a woman who burned to death in a freak house fire. The storytelling is as bleak and bare as the subject matter. Kozelek pulled no punches in 2014. He's a degenerate alcoholic asshole who writes some fucking outstanding music.

Such a catchy tune. I love the effect created with the strings and arpeggiated guitar in the intro, and these two have just angelic pop voices. If you've followed the band from their debut, they're getting better at writing songs, and the subject matter is changing from coming to America to making it in America. The first album was about paying tribute to some of their American folk forebears, and this album is about adding their own flair. This was the lead single, and fuck if I didn't listen to it twenty times in a row the first day it came out. The harmonizing in the refrain is so effortless and understated but powerful at the same time.

Best rap album of the year hands down. A rap duo with the kind of chemistry we haven't seen since The Clipse, and damn if it wasn't Outkast before them. This particular tune goes so hard. Machine gun flow. Just about grinding through life.

5. Pusha T - Lunch Money

Kanye produced this, and the production is fucking gnarly and weird and great. Pusha just sounds hungry. He almost never talks, not the way everyone talks about how good they are, but this is King Push's version of brag rap: “this is crime by design/if the crown ain’t mine, tell me who am I behind.” If we continue to view every rap album of 2014 as a response to Kendrick's verse on Control, and I'm not opposed to doing that, we should be putting Pusha right up near the top today. Worthy single followup to My Name is My Name.

NPR called this the most beautiful song of the year. This album is a lot of piano, an orchestral, ambient album from one of the staple bands in the genre today. I think the classic comment is that songs that sound like this are film soundtrack songs. This album has the aesthetic of Vanilla Sky without all the stuff that made that movie mediocre. I just kind of picture a peaceful, newly fallen snow covered field without any footprints or disturbances. After listening to the full album a couple dozen times through, I came to about the same conclusion as NPR. Not only is this the best song on the album, it's one of the best songs of the year, and it's gorgeous.

Woo! The screams are great. The aforementioned Mark Kozelek called this album "beer commercial guitar" music. It definitely lends itself well to drinking cheap beer and dancing, and the guitar is pretty great. This was my favorite album of the year. See em live, too, they're outstanding. I need to see them indoors. I saw them this spring before this album came out, and it's the best thing they've done since the Kurt days.

I wonder if people are gonna continue to appreciate the places Kendrick is gonna go next. With "i" and "Never Catch Me" the two biggest things he did in 2014, the reception was a little mixed from his massive, loyal following. It seems like he's heading the way of stepping up with who he's teaming with in production. No one doubts he's got the skill, so it'll be about watching who he gets to make his beats and where his influences will come from going forward. The acid jazz funk Flying Lotus track is part Shabazz Palaces, part Sun Ra, and all Kendrick. Kendrick wanted this track on his album and FlyLo wisely kept it for himself; it fits really well in the middle of You're Dead.

9. Schoolboy Q - Studio

Great beat, some really great bars, and a silly good hook. Awesome when Schoolboy gets his boy to croon a little. He's conflicted because his girl is super sexy and she's at home waiting for him, but he's sitting in the studio and making the song just sexy enough to be fuck music. See it's like a catch-22. He'd rather be fucking, but he's gotta make the fuck track good enough.

Keep doing you, tune-yards. There are some weird, fucked up songs on this album. Water Fountain is certainly one of them. I danced to it super hard though, when I got the chance to see them this year. There's something odd and satisfying about singing along to "make me shit nice" and dancing your ass off to afrobeat funk stylings. This is like disco on meth.

I think I made the comment earlier this year that the brooding Sharon Van Etten had finally gotten to be too much for me. To an extent, it's certainly true. It doesn't change the fact that she makes great music. Great, sad music. Life is hard, love is hard, and this is grown up music for people with grown up problems and grown up feelings. Once again, fuck Taylor Swift. There are some melodramatic moments on this song and this record, but not a single note seems phony. It's authentic pain, like every time she picks up a guitar and writes new songs, she's breaking the callouses on her fingers and tearing into her emotions raw and new again. It's pretty powerful stuff.

Their Pavement phase has been fun. I've seen Parquet Courts twice now. The first time I saw them was at a free show here in Philly, and it was kind of straightforward punk music, I didn't really know their stuff, but I dug it. It got rowdy, the band members were throwing bottles at each other, I had fun. The next time I saw them was at Austin City Limits, and they played about 15 minutes of feedback and art rock stuff and I liked them in a totally different way. This is a band with a constantly changing identity, like how they've played with their own band name (Parkay Quartz, etc.), and their albums have all had different sounds. I really loved this song and Black and White.

The tune JM got me interested in the band, a tribute to one of my favorite musicians to ever live, Jason Molina. The title track of the album, Heal, hooked me into the full length, but it's Goshen 97 that keeps me coming back. It's kind of just a song about life, told through a few very short vignettes. It's about falling in love with music and not needing any human relationships because music is so all encompassingly powerful a force. It's self-aware about how dangerous that sentiment is, but the song just dares you to disagree. "Before I was fat drunk and mean/ Everything still lied ahead/ I was lonely, I was having fun/ I was lonely, but I was having fun/ I don’t want to start over again…"

Sneaky great guitar, enchanting vocals, an insanely catchy hook, this is the pop song of the year. Fuck Taylor Swift, this is a pop song. It's sentimental and sweet without being cloying, it's funny and feel-good. Alvvays didn't make my album list this year even though it's a really good debut album. Mostly I came back to two or three songs, and not the whole thing, but I think it's one of those cases where they wrote three songs that were otherworldly good, and it makes an otherwise just plain good album suffer because of it. Anyway, I defy anyone to listen to this song and dislike it, or especially to see it played live and not want to marry Molly Rankin.

Only heard of one of those bands outside of the weird music threads.

I really like Sun Kil Moon's "Alesund"...such a great song.

ETA: Not from this year obviously, but Sun Kil Moon is the only band I've heard of.

So I listened to that War on Drugs song because you people keep talking about how I should like it because I'm a dad. It sounds like Tom Petty backed by Dire Straits, if none of them had any clue how to write a song.

The singer of Sun Kil Moon sounds exactly like Jon Lajoie (Taco from The League)

OK Townie and others who want to guess-which songs of these do you think would be in my Top 3?

So I listened to that War on Drugs song because you people keep talking about how I should like it because I'm a dad. It sounds like Tom Petty backed by Dire Straits, if none of them had any clue how to write a song.

I think it's Bob Dylan bro

I prefer this off of RTJ2 (prison riots!) although Lie, Cheat, Steal is awesome

I'm not sure if I can come up with 14, but here are mine:

St Lucia - Elevate (reminds me of the beach for some reason)
Jungle - Busy Earnin'
Slaptop - Sunrise
Yelawolf- Till It's Gone

Back