• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

14 favorite songs of 2014

Griswolds - Beware the Dog

Foster the Peeps - Coming of Age

My two submissions for a top 100 of '14 for OGBoards.

3. Inspector Norse - Todd Terje (this is also the best video of the year by a country mile, posted below)
really digging this tune and i love the genuineness of the video

i'd be dancing too if i got the elusive 1-2-4-7-9 spare

Last edited:
Here's my list, in no particular order (full disclosure: I am old enough to be a dad but am not, in fact, a dad):

1. New York Kiss - Spoon Kills it with the nostalgia vibes. It reminds me of the imagery of their earlier song 'Everything Hits At Once'. New York Kiss rocks more though.
2. All Under One Roof Raving - Jamie XX Great song. Impressive how it manages to stay interesting the whole way through.
3. Inspector Norse - Todd Terje (this is also the best video of the year by a country mile, posted below) Never heard of this song/band before your post but now I'm in love. Head bobbing in my cube for the rest of the day thanks to this jam.
4. Colony Glen - Gardens and Villa Not bad. I guess they murdered someone at Colony Glen and feel guilty about it or something.
5. Every Other Freckle - Alt-J Good choice, I prefer this to Left Hand Free but both are great.
6. I'm Not Part of Me - Cloud Nothings I prefer Psychic Trauma buy Dylan's singing is really good on this song. The chorus is a good simple message; even if you're not a single entity you're still a part of my memories (relationship/friendship).
7. Gooey - Glass Animals I appreciate the good production but it's still too weird for my taste.
8. Turn Blue - Black Keys Great tune, sounds like Pink Floyd
9. Under the Pressure - The War on Drugs Such an epic opening and epic opener to this album. Love the Tom Petty American Girl reference 'you were raiiiiiiised on a promise'.
10. Rhythm of Devotion - Sisyphus Where's dubstepdeac at?!
11. Lifestyle - Rich Gang how can you not sing along to this chorus
12. Fantastic Sam - Gap Dream beat's kinda annoying
13. Go - Grimes see Sisyphus comment
14. Leon Bridges - Coming Home Whoa wasn't expecting that soul what's this guy's story?
15. Black and White - Parquet Courts I need to listen to this whole album, these guys are hilarious.
will go thru Townie's list next

LISTS

Here are my 14 favorite songs of 2014. I hope some of y'all with knowledge of things like movies will post y'alls lists too.

1. The Men - Pearly Gates so much energy, great video
2. Sun Kil Moon - Carissa way too depressing but it made me check out his other stuff and I'm digging 'Ben's My Friend'
3. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining really pretty and I normally don't like country (or whatever genre this gets pegged into)
4. Run The Jewels - Lie, Cheat Steal BADASS
5. Pusha T - Lunch Money great production; sounds like it samples ATCQ 'Same Ol' Thing' and Swiss Beatz 'It's Me Bitches'
6. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS IX pretty; it's hard to resist the urge to figure out what movie scene it fits with
7. War on Drugs - Red Eyes I love the YouTube video with compilations of famous Hollywood running scenes. The beginning is good but it gets really good in the middle. I love starting the song a few seconds before 2:23 and just riding it out; it puts me in a great mood.
8. Flying Lotus f. Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me LETS GO!! Kendrick pisses excellence
9. Schoolboy Q - Studio catchy chorus but I rarely like these types of songs (R&B love sex songs)
10. tune-yards - Water Fountain this belongs on a Breaking Bad episode with methheads digging holes in the front yard
11. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love is Killing Me whoa super intense lyrics but the smooth beat/melodies makes it easy to listen to
12. Parquet Courts - Dear Ramona 'you can read about that in her moleskine' <3
13. Strand of Oaks - Goshen '97 really good nostalgia track with a damn good rocking tune
14. Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me so freakin catchy! call out those silly marriage traditions Alvvays. 'they're talking about us living in sin' <3

great list Townie

I'm digging The 1975's album. #latetotheparty

I was late to the party, as well... Read this thread about a month ago and have become a big fan of War on Drugs because of it. Inspector Norse is also a great track.

Was already a fan of Run The Jewels... nice to see them show up in the discussion.

Some other stuff I liked from 2014:
In The Valley Below - Peaches
Mark Ronson - Daffodils
Kyla La Grange - Cut Your Teeth (Kygo Remix)
Anything by ODESZA... but I like the older stuff better

War on Drugs and First Aid Kit, good stuff Townie.

Back