• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

14 favorite songs of 2014

Wow the hatred for TAYLOR is strong. She's not making any of my top 50 lists or top 14 track lists, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "Fuck Taylor Swift".

I've probs listened to her album like 15 times at this point and I don't think I've paid attention to any of the lyrics (except Shake It Off) even once.

i hate that song so much

gf keeps trying to get me to reconsider "style" as a really good song - not having it

I'm not really sure I count radio shows as songs, but yea I mean I dig his BBC radio hour.

Pshhhh. Here's a top 10 put together by someone who isnt a hipster doofus that can get past his teenage rebellious phase and admit that things mainstream can be good. Also helps to have functional ears.

1. Iggy azalea -fancy

2. Pharrell williams - happy

3. Taylor swift - shake it off

4. One republic - counting stars

5. Sam smith - im not the only one

6. Pitbull - fireball (probably should be lower but im a HUGE Mr. Worldwide homer)

7. Katy perry - dark horse

8. Shouldnt talk about it - artist: unknown. (Note i have no idea what the song is called or who sings it but it has a cool guitar part at the start)

9. Problem - ariana grande. This should be in the top 5 but i aint gonna renumber this on tapatalk

10. Niki minaj - anaconda, this song gets me excited i aint talkin bout eiffel

Pshhhh. Here's a top 10 put together by someone who isnt a hipster doofus that can get past his teenage rebellious phase and admit that things mainstream can be good. Also helps to have functional ears.

1. Iggy azalea -fancy

2. Pharrell williams - happy

3. Taylor swift - shake it off

4. One republic - counting stars

5. Sam smith - im not the only one

6. Pitbull - fireball (probably should be lower but im a HUGE Mr. Worldwide homer)

7. Katy perry - dark horse

8. Shouldnt talk about it - artist: unknown. (Note i have no idea what the song is called or who sings it but it has a cool guitar part at the start)

9. Problem - ariana grande. This should be in the top 5 but i aint gonna renumber this on tapatalk

10. Niki minaj - anaconda, this song gets me excited i aint talkin bout eiffel

8. Milky Chance- Stolen Dance

my favorite part about PLAMA's list is that not all of those songs were made in 2014

i think happy was on my 2013 singles list

i hate that song so much

gf keeps trying to get me to reconsider "style" as a really good song - not having it

except for blank space, out of the woods, and shake it off (when i'm drunk) i have to agree with you the album is pretty turrible

also those are some teenage rebellious songs for some rebellious teens there

like welcome to new york is pretty terrible.

i don't understand how artists do love letters to NYC after Frank's version of New York, New York.

If you do a song about NYC it has to be like what James Murphy did. Can't just be OMG THIS IS THE BEST PLACE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING HERE. we know.

also i've breezed through LCD Soundsystem and i'm pissed they broke up like 3 years ago.

i'll add, too, that the rap on my list is super mainstream if you listen to rap radio at all

1. The Men - Pearly Gates - Thrashing rockabilly.
2. Sun Kil Moon - Carissa - Steve Earle wannabe. Not bad stuff.
3. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining - Nice vibe and rhythm on this song that takes on added meaning when you realize that she's talking about the lining of her vagina.
4. Run The Jewels - Lie, Cheat Steal - Lie, Cheat, Steal, Kill. Everybody doin' it. This chorus knows about life.
5. Pusha T - Lunch Money - Now this song is some good shit. It sounds like a Kanye song. I had to look and see if it was ye. Reminds me of my last weekend at the club.
6. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS IX - Pointless. Not derivative though. Nobody ever thought of making a song this bad before.
7. War on Drugs - Red Eyes - The War on Drugs can suck my dick. But I'm a dad so I like this song. Too long though. Should have been able to achieve the same effect in 4:59.
8. Flying Lotus f. Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me - Huh? Hey TAB, go ahead and delete that Flying Lotus from your phone.
9. Schoolboy Q - Studio - Sounds like about 5,000 other meaningless hip hop songs. Like his use of the words "nigger" and "pussy" though.
10. tune-yards - Water Fountain - This is absolute fucking shit. I saw that it was a tuneyards song and didn't even listen to it. Just kidding. I listened for about 20 seconds. Total fucking shit.
11. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love is Killing Me - Average looking chick. Sounds like she's banging on an empty barrel in an alleyway at the beginning. Way too long. Too many notes. I'm not moved.
12. Parquet Courts - Dear Ramona - I hate this guy's voice. Wants to sound like VU or something.
13. Strand of Oaks - Goshen '97 - Not good. Glad that one's over.
14. Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me - Pretty good. Women are so needy.

Still listening.

quoting for this page bc it's awesome :golfclap:

i would actually really like it if plama or rj or whoever did the same thing and actually listened to these songs before forming opinions

My favorite Strand of Oaks song from 2014 was "Mirage Year". It's got more of a prog-rock feel with the slow build-up to absolutely face-melting guitar solo (the howl leading into it gives me chills every time). The frustration and anger and hopelessness he's feeling at the point in his life when he recorded it are just so palpable. At the end of the solo it kinda drops out immediately back to the "quiet" piano outro that is a great ending and captures a resigned feeling of "oh well. fuck it. that's life.".

He recorded the solo itself while blackout in his house alone on a lonely afternoon and went so HAM on the track that he actually passed out and woke up with bloodied fingers from playing it so hard. They couldn't recreate it in the studio so the just took what he recorded and patched it in.

Lotta great stories behind that album, which is probably why I like it so much. I just relate to damaged songwriters I guess.

I tried listening to that war on drugs album when ya did the album list and the first song was like 7 minutes long, so then i skipped through it and nothing really caught my ear as catchy

Also have this in common : pleasant to listen to.

Perhaps thats an unusual requirement for your listening tastes though.

two super straightforward pop songs on my list - Archie, Marry Me and My Silver Lining

check em out

Dear Ramona is kind of a weird Parquet Courts choice over Instant Disassembly. I like both tracks, but ID is a better achievement imo.

Although I guess this is "favorite" songs, not "best" songs. I'll shut up now.

two super straightforward pop songs on my list - Archie, Marry Me and My Silver Lining

check em out

Not unpleasant. Chick in first one is hot. Both have cool verses, 2nd one especially. Both suffer from being cool songs with lame choruses which i presume is why ive never heard them before.

i get that 2014 was the year of the butt but there are only so many songs about butts i can handle plama after a while i wanna hear about some other concepts

Back