• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

14 favorite songs of 2014

i get that 2014 was the year of the butt but there are only so many songs about butts i can handle plama after a while i wanna hear about some other concepts

Hey As hey long hey as hey mustards hey on hey the hey beat, hey we hey can hey talk hey about hey anything

two super straightforward pop songs on my list - Archie, Marry Me and My Silver Lining

check em out

Just listened to these two, I've heard Silver Lining before and the other song was really good too.

These are the super fucking depressing lyrics to Carissa if you wanna go drink some whiskey and sit in a field of dead grass and feel depressed:

Oh Carissa, when I first saw you, you were a lovely child
And the last time I saw you, you were fifteen and pregnant and running wild
I remember wondering, could there be a light at the end of your tunnel?
But I left Ohio then and had pretty much forgotten all about you
I guess you were there some years ago at a family funeral
But you were one of so many relatives I didn't know which one was you

Yesterday morning I woke up to so many 330 area code calls
I called my mom back and she was in tears and asked had I spoke to my father?
Carissa burned to death last night in a freak accident fire
In her yard in Brewster her daughter came home from a party and found her
Same way as my uncle, who was her grandfather
An aerosol can blew up in the trash, goddamn, what were the odds?

She was just getting ready to go to her midnight shift as an RN in Wadsworth
And she vanished up in flames like that but there had to be more to her life's worth
Everyone's grieving out of their minds, making arrangements and taking drugs
But I'm flying out there tomorrow because I need to give and get some hugs
Cause I got questions that I'd like to get answered
I may never get them, but Carissa, I've got to know how did it happen?

Carissa was thirty-five, you don't just raise two kids and take out your trash and die
She was my second cousin, I didn't know her well at all but it don't mean that I wasn't
Now to find some poetry, to make some sense of this, to find a deeper meaning
In this senseless tragedy, O Carissa, I'll sing your name across every sea

Were you doing someone else's chores for them?
Were you just killing time, finding things to do all by your lonesome?
Was it even you who mistakenly put flammables in the trash?
Was it your kids just being kids? If so, the guilt they will carry around forever
Well I'm going out there to get a look at the landscapes
To get a look at those I'm connected by blood and see how it all may have shaped me
Well I'm going out there though I'm not really needed
I'm just so broken up about it, how is it that this sad history repeated?
I'll return to Ohio, to the place I was spawned
Going to see where I hung with my cousins and played with them in the snow and fished in their pond
Going to see how they've grown, visit some graves and say, "Hey, I've missed you"
Going to find out as much as I can about my little second cousin Carissa

Gonna go to Ohio, where I was born
Got a 10:45 AM flight, I'm leaving tomorrow morn
Going to see my aunts and uncles, my parents and sisters
Mostly I'm going to pay my respects to my little second cousin Carissa

Going to Ohio, where I feel I belong
Ask those who know the most about Carissa
For it is her life and death that I am helplessly drawn

Carissa was thirty-five, raised kids since she was fifteen years old and suddenly died
Next to an old river, fire pit, oh there's gotta be more than that to it
She was only my second cousin but it don't mean that I'm not here for her or that I wasn't
Meant to give her life poetry, or to make sure her name is known across every city

These are the super fucking depressing lyrics to Carissa if you wanna go drink some whiskey and sit in a field of dead grass and feel depressed:

Oh Carissa, when I first saw you, you were a lovely child
And the last time I saw you, you were fifteen and pregnant and running wild
I remember wondering, could there be a light at the end of your tunnel?
But I left Ohio then and had pretty much forgotten all about you
I guess you were there some years ago at a family funeral
But you were one of so many relatives I didn't know which one was you

Yesterday morning I woke up to so many 330 area code calls
I called my mom back and she was in tears and asked had I spoke to my father?
Carissa burned to death last night in a freak accident fire
In her yard in Brewster her daughter came home from a party and found her
Same way as my uncle, who was her grandfather
An aerosol can blew up in the trash, goddamn, what were the odds?

She was just getting ready to go to her midnight shift as an RN in Wadsworth
And she vanished up in flames like that but there had to be more to her life's worth
Everyone's grieving out of their minds, making arrangements and taking drugs
But I'm flying out there tomorrow because I need to give and get some hugs
Cause I got questions that I'd like to get answered
I may never get them, but Carissa, I've got to know how did it happen?

Carissa was thirty-five, you don't just raise two kids and take out your trash and die
She was my second cousin, I didn't know her well at all but it don't mean that I wasn't
Now to find some poetry, to make some sense of this, to find a deeper meaning
In this senseless tragedy, O Carissa, I'll sing your name across every sea

Were you doing someone else's chores for them?
Were you just killing time, finding things to do all by your lonesome?
Was it even you who mistakenly put flammables in the trash?
Was it your kids just being kids? If so, the guilt they will carry around forever
Well I'm going out there to get a look at the landscapes
To get a look at those I'm connected by blood and see how it all may have shaped me
Well I'm going out there though I'm not really needed
I'm just so broken up about it, how is it that this sad history repeated?
I'll return to Ohio, to the place I was spawned
Going to see where I hung with my cousins and played with them in the snow and fished in their pond
Going to see how they've grown, visit some graves and say, "Hey, I've missed you"
Going to find out as much as I can about my little second cousin Carissa

Gonna go to Ohio, where I was born
Got a 10:45 AM flight, I'm leaving tomorrow morn
Going to see my aunts and uncles, my parents and sisters
Mostly I'm going to pay my respects to my little second cousin Carissa

Going to Ohio, where I feel I belong
Ask those who know the most about Carissa
For it is her life and death that I am helplessly drawn

Carissa was thirty-five, raised kids since she was fifteen years old and suddenly died
Next to an old river, fire pit, oh there's gotta be more than that to it
She was only my second cousin but it don't mean that I'm not here for her or that I wasn't
Meant to give her life poetry, or to make sure her name is known across every city

Thank you townie. I am positive we will all read and enjoy this

Ok the Archie song is very catchy and is now stuck in my head

Studio "Wombat" w/ horns should get consideration! Fuego is a really good album that should have made your other list. It doesn't always work with the band in the studio but I had high hopes after hearing most of it live (and in costume) at Halloween in AC.

Also, Taylor Swift is not good. I mean, I'm not going to hate, bc if I had a skill that would earn me $30MM a year, I would milk that shit no matter how haters I gained.

However, her songs, from the writing to the melodies to the beats, are just super, super basic and trite. This effort is a step better than the rest of her garbage, but it still is not good, not interesting, not anything worth critical acclaim. When I heard it was going to be 80s pop, I hoped that she had finally made enough money and was going to try for something artistic. I wasn't expecting her to sing over Joy Division tracks, but I was at least hoping for something like the HAIM album. This was such a baby step away from the pure pop cash cow that it can't even really be counted as such. I think she is talented, but it proves that at this point that she is either still really not willing to take any risks that would upset the money machine, or she just has no taste (the Jack Antonoff connection might suggest the latter).

Here's my list, in no particular order (full disclosure: I am old enough to be a dad but am not, in fact, a dad):

1. New York Kiss - Spoon
2. All Under One Roof Raving - Jamie XX
3. Inspector Norse - Todd Terje (this is also the best video of the year by a country mile, posted below)
4. Colony Glen - Gardens and Villa
5. Every Other Freckle - Alt-J
6. I'm Not Part of Me - Cloud Nothings
7. Gooey - Glass Animals
8. Turn Blue - Black Keys
9. Under the Pressure - The War on Drugs
10. Rhythm of Devotion - Sisyphus
11. Lifestyle - Rich Gang
12. Fantastic Sam - Gap Dream
13. Go - Grimes
14. Leon Bridges - Coming Home
15. Black and White - Parquet Courts

There are a few I am forgetting, will come back and update later. IMPORTANT UPDATE: List is done now.

Last edited:
I don't really listen to much new music, but really enjoy Paolo Nutini's Caustic Love album....particularly "Iron Sky".

will definitely give all of these a listen thanks for posting everyone

Mainstream now, but what are the thoughts on Take Me to Church?

Was an oversight. Top 3 of my list. I mean it was lebrons coming home song. Having the crescendo of the song being the 2nd verse is unusual for pop songs, and he just comes out swinging right away.

Last edited:
also i've breezed through LCD Soundsystem and i'm pissed they broke up like 3 years ago.

Same here. I've really gotten into them this year and am super pissed I didn't appreciate them when they were around. Apparently there is a solid cover band around here that plays from time-to-time, who are comparable to the stellar Talking Heads group I saw. I need to check them out.

Was an oversight. Top 3 of my list. I mean it was lebrons coming home song. Having the crescendo of the song being the 2nd verse is unusual for pop songs, and he just comes out swinging right away.

So decided to listen to this while at the office and involuntarily started belting out aaaaaaaAAAAAmen before looking up and realizing i was not alone

Palma you really have become STUGOTZ right in front of our very eyes.

So I listened to that War on Drugs song because you people keep talking about how I should like it because I'm a dad. It sounds like Tom Petty backed by Dire Straits, if none of them had any clue how to write a song.

Drink 2-3 beers and listen again. Every inch of that song makes me want to sieze the fucking day.

Back