• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Yeah, leading Dems should come out now and say impeachment really isn't on the table because they don't want to waste the nation's time in the house when there is no way they can get 67 votes in the senate, and they would only bring impeachment proceedings if there is broad agreement with Pubs.

Yeah, leading Dems should come out now and say impeachment really isn't on the table because they don't want to waste the nation's time in the house when there is no way they can get 67 votes in the senate, and they would only bring impeachment proceedings if there is broad agreement with Pubs.

That seems like it would hurt turn out among Democrats.

It plays into the spineless perception of the party and would drive down Democrat turn out.

It plays into the spineless perception of the party and would drive down Democrat turn out.

Nah. Run on holding Trump and his enablers accountable. Don't make promises that require Republicans.

I'm arguing against preemptively ruling out impeachment as advocated by cville deac. No one has any idea of what Trump may do or have revealed what he has already done that could change the calculus of an impeachment vote.

Nah. Run on holding Trump and his enablers accountable. Don't make promises that require Republicans.

No do like Republicans and make promises for folks votes and then not keep them. It's really pretty simple and something Pubs have done for decades.

I disagree and I think Ranger is right about turn out. Dem voters are angry and motivated and candidates should not preemptively quell that anger to assuage the middle. Dems should just avoid talking about it and say things like "the independent investigations need to run their course before any action is taken by congress, in the mean time I want to win this race so that I can go to Washington and restore congress as a co-equal branch and put checks and balances on the president's power and disastrous agenda."

Dems should run on policy. Any Dem congressional candidate that centers Trump in their campaign is near guarenteed to be a worthless corporate shill piece of shit.

Dems should run on policy. Any Dem congressional candidate that centers Trump in their campaign is near guarenteed to be a worthless corporate shill piece of shit.

This is obvious first and foremost. But they'll be asked about Trump and impeachment.

I disagree and I think Ranger is right about turn out. Dem voters are angry and motivated and candidates should not preemptively quell that anger to assuage the middle. Dems should just avoid talking about it and say things like "the independent investigations need to run their course before any action is taken by congress, in the mean time I want to win this race so that I can go to Washington and restore congress as a co-equal branch and put checks and balances on the president's power and disastrous agenda."

That is the best way to deal with the issue.

Gotta love these arguments in which people disagree until somebody puts both of the arguments together in the same sentence.

Gotta love these arguments in which people disagree until somebody puts both of the arguments together in the same sentence.

I didn’t do that. Maybe I misunderstood the original argument but I think cville said Dems should openly say they won’t impeach which I think is a bad strategy. They are better off deflecting the question and punting the issue so as to not dampen liberal voter anger / turnout this fall and not look like zealots just out to get trump.

Frustrated teachers turn activism into candidacies for local office

The 40 educators who filed to run for office by the Jan. 30 deadline, and the five more who announced their intention to run as write-in candidates in the Bluegrass State, represent the highest number of educators running in Kentucky history.

"It’s a very diverse group of teachers and administrators," Allen said.

They consist of both active and retired educators spread across K-12 and higher education running as both Republicans and Democrats, he added.

GOP breaks the glass as House outlook darkens

Watch out, NC, they're coming for ya.

The RNC has established an elaborate field program in North Carolina, where Holden, Budd and Pittenger are running — and where there are otherwise few voter turnout mechanisms in place. With North Carolina in a “blue moon” election cycle, meaning that there are no statewide races on the ballot other than Supreme Court contests, the committee has dispatched six full-time field staffers to the state.

National GOP officials and local operatives have been holding regular breakfast meetings to coordinate their efforts.

Ryan, meanwhile, has made a pet project of reelecting fellow Wisconsin Rep. Glenn Grothman, who represents a district that Trump won by 17 percentage points. Earlier this year, Ryan’s political team helped to establish a joint fundraising committee aimed at helping Grothman raise national funds. The speaker is also expected to hit the trail for Grothman, a second-term lawmaker who’s facing a challenge from Dan Kohl, the nephew of former Democratic Sen. Herb Kohl.

Parade of big-name politicians visiting for N.C. congressman. Will they deliver votes?

"Any time you see those high-profile figures in the state, that’s a sign that the congressman is taking his races seriously," says Nathan Gonzalez, editor of the Washington-based Inside Elections. "Any Republican who isn't ... does so at their own peril."

Pittenger's main challenger in the May 8 GOP primary is Mark Harris, a former Charlotte pastor who lost to Pittenger by just 134 votes in the 2016 primary. Though polls give Pittenger the edge, turnout is expected to be a big factor.

The winner is expected to meet Democrat Dan McCready in November. McCready, who faces fellow Charlotte Democrat Christian Cano in the Democratic primary, has drawn comparisons to Conor Lamb, the Pennsylvania Democrat who won a special election in a district Trump carried by 20 points in 2016.

Just checked the FEC site, one Dem challenger has out-raised Pittenger and spent less, leaving him with $1 million more cash on hand as of March month-end.

Back