• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

If nothing else supports my point, I brought up a specific criticism of Ralph Northam, Virginia Governor, and rather than actually talk about him or the issue, you Democrats decided to deflect by immedietely bringing up third party presidential candidates, as if that is relevant to Northam in any way.

Yeah you briefly started with that criticism before immediately switching over to trashing democrats and other posters. Because that's a good way to get folks to listen to your message.

Yeah you briefly started with that criticism before immediately switching over to trashing democrats and other posters. Because that's a good way to get folks to listen to your message.
By responding to posts? Sorry. I should have ignored them.

I guess i'll be waiting a long time for any of you to express any disappointment in Northam. So it goes.

indeed - and we're still waiting for the list of [MDMH certified] progressive candidates with actual victories in Federal, State or Local elections

Aww the baby is back at it crying, first it was Doug Jones the proper candidate to represent and win in Alabama and now it’s Virginia who elected the proper candidate for a purple bluish Virginia.

I guess i'll be waiting a long time for any of you to express any disappointment in Northam. So it goes.

Do you think it's reasonable to wait and see if he actually advocates for any of those things you are already criticizing him for?

Aww the baby is back at it crying, first it was Doug Jones the proper candidate to represent and win in Alabama and now it’s Virginia who elected the proper candidate for a purple bluish Virginia.
I didnt realize that backing off campaign promises was a signal of bipartisanship. Thanks for the info.

He's not right, at all. You think handicapped people being thrown out of senate offices to save their own healthcare are TOO partisan? Politics are partisan. Republicans will basically do anything and say anything to stay in power, and you believe the problem is that we dont compromise with them?

No, I believe the problem is that neither side wants to compromise, because that means that they aren't "winning". Politicians are more concerned now about winning than about governing. Both sides should be working together to create policy, rather than acting like a plurality of votes means that the winner has a mandate to enact whatever they want and the loser gets nothing. If neither side will even discuss policy with each other, than things will only get worse. I am not saying that Democrats need to compromise because Republicans won't. I'm saying that there needs to be bipartisanship in government.

I also believe that politicians should try to keep their campaign promises, or at least not make promises they can't keep. But that is a separate issue.

Do you think it's reasonable to wait and see if he actually advocates for any of those things you are already criticizing him for?
He already has, ill post a link later. Thank you for actually responding to me.

men like you elect men like Donald Trump

Jesus, exactly. A way left progressive isn't going to win Virginia, which truly is 1 of the purplest states. The major reason we've won the last 2 statewide elections is that in each, especially in 2013 with Cuccinelli and Jackson, the Pubs moved well to the right, and the Dems ran in a centrist and pragmatic manner. You run a more progressive guy like Perriello against a Pub pragmatist like Bolling, and you're going to get killed. The other major reason Dems had so many gains in the House of Delagates this year was because Dem local candidates were campaigning on issues that truly matter to voters like roads (in high traffic areas) and health insurance. And health insurance is going to continue to be a yuge issue in 2018 and 2020. The ACA was mostly unpopular, though not nearly as unpopular as Fox and Pubs made it out to be. Had the Pubs repealed and replaced the ACA with something that mostly made fiscal sense, they wouldn't have lost so many VA house seats and wouldn't be in the position to get creamed in 2018 that they find theirselves in. I still think the Pub party is largely blind as to how important this issue is and how they're correctly getting blamed for sabotaging the ACA without creating a viable alternative.

As for the way left like MDMH, I totally agree. You can win in MD/DE up to MA/VT and on the left coast minus AL with progressive candidates. Sprinkle in occasional upper midwest folks. But you just can't win elsewhere in that manner. More than anything else, the Dems are best off running boring pragmatists in 2018-20. VA has shown that's the winning antidote to Trumpism.

No, I believe the problem is that neither side wants to compromise, because that means that they aren't "winning". Politicians are more concerned now about winning than about governing. Both sides should be working together to create policy, rather than acting like a plurality of votes means that the winner has a mandate to enact whatever they want and the loser gets nothing. If neither side will even discuss policy with each other, than things will only get worse. I am not saying that Democrats need to compromise because Republicans won't. I'm saying that there needs to be bipartisanship in government.

I also believe that politicians should try to keep their campaign promises, or at least not make promises they can't keep. But that is a separate issue.

Amen. That is another thing that was so frustrating about Trump. Some people voted for him thinking he was going to "shake up Washington" but he represents "politics is about winning" more than anyone.

I feel so sad for you "pragmatic" moderates having to be the responsible ones to nominate all these sensible compromise candidates. Thank you for making all us bernie bro hippies eat our vegetables with your corporate conservative candidates. If it werent for your good sense there might be a mad man in the white house and Republicans would control the country.

If it was up to your "good sense", a child molester would be preparing to be sworn in to Congress.

i've asked this numerous times: why does he continue to support the Democratic party if he thinks it's so phony?

mdmh, join DSA.

d421265b904d1270a85e7c70fd516daf.jpg

Back