• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Sound the alarm: National GOP breaks glass in Pennsylvania race

The national party has deployed its full arsenal in a March 13 special House election. A loss would be a huge blow to its hopes in the midterms.

The blueprint, described by over a dozen senior party officials and strategists, underscores the enormous stakes for the party. With Republicans already deeply anxious about the midterms, a loss in Pennsylvania’s 18th District, which Trump won by 20 percentage points, would show that the party is vulnerable even in deep conservative territory and that a political bloodbath could be in the making.

Republicans have reason for alarm. In January, America First Action, the principal pro-Trump outside group, quietly conducted a poll that found Saccone with a single-digit lead over Lamb, who hails from a well-known political family in southwestern Pennsylvania.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/pennsylvania-republicans-special-election-389964?lo=ap_c1

Given the district's overwhelming pro-GOP tilt and 5-to-1 GOP spending advantage, I think the GOP candidate, while utterly uninspiring, will still prevail, although by a much smaller margin than you would usually see in a district like this. It is telling, though, that the GOP is using Nancy Pelosi to significant effect, tying Lamb to her and running lots of campaign ads against Pelosi as much as Lamb himself. I do believe that Pelosi, for the good of the party, ought to announce that she's stepping down as House Dem Leader so that new blood can compete for the position, but I don't see it happening, unfortunately. I'm sure that the GOP would find a new Democrat to turn into the next Great Liberal Satan, but with Pelosi gone it would at least take them some time to do so, and Pelosi stepping down would probably be a plus for the Democrats this year.

It's such a tired playbook. During the Moore/Jones special election, even though Jones obviously hadn't cast a single vote, they kept saying he would just be a Pelosi puppet, going on nothing other than the fact that they are both democrats.

Lamb has announced he wouldn't support Pelosi for leader and they use her anyway. If Pelosi stepped down as leader they would still use her in ads. They'll use her as long as it's effective. Dem candidates have to figure out how to break through the noise.

Lamb has announced he wouldn't support Pelosi for leader and they use her anyway. If Pelosi stepped down as leader they would still use her in ads. They'll use her as long as it's effective. Dem candidates have to figure out how to break through the noise.

Trump will the gift that gives forever to the Dems. He has crushed what good was left in the Republican party. Many of my Pub friends will be pulling the Dem lever in 2018 and beyond.

Just a couple of months ago the polls were giving Democrats something like a twelve-point edge. In the current political climate it's a lifetime between now and November, so I would expect the polls to bounce all over the place. Polls of likely or motivated voters still give the Democrats much larger advantages over the GOP. If this poll were a month or two before the November elections, then the Dems might need to start worrying; currently, probably not so much. We've still got a thousand Trump tweets, insults, and other gaucheries to get through before November, as well as more possible stock market volatility, possible foreign policy worries, more possible incidents like Charlottesville, etc. It's still early for anybody to worry at this point.

Dotard has a 90% approval rating among Republicans. 90%. Republicans are trash. Your republican parents are trash. Your young Republican kid in college is trash. Your #neverHillary friends are trash. your, "yeah, Trump sucks and I didn't vote for him, but the economy" friends are trash.

Anyone who still considers him or herself a Republican is a garbage human.

Dotard has a 90% approval rating among Republicans. 90%. Republicans are trash. Your republican parents are trash. Your young Republican kid in college is trash. Your #neverHillary friends are trash. your, "yeah, Trump sucks and I didn't vote for him, but the economy" friends are trash.

Anyone who still considers him or herself a Republican is a garbage human.

well then...

can you be a little more specific? i find there are many levels to garbage, such as deplorables, closeted Trump voter, "didn't vote for Trump" but still bends over...you get it.

Just a couple of months ago the polls were giving Democrats something like a twelve-point edge. In the current political climate it's a lifetime between now and November, so I would expect the polls to bounce all over the place. Polls of likely or motivated voters still give the Democrats much larger advantages over the GOP. If this poll were a month or two before the November elections, then the Dems might need to start worrying; currently, probably not so much. We've still got a thousand Trump tweets, insults, and other gaucheries to get through before November, as well as more possible stock market volatility, possible foreign policy worries, more possible incidents like Charlottesville, etc. It's still early for anybody to worry at this point.

TITCR.

Would also add many more months of indictments, trials and more breaking stories from all of the Russia investigations.

Holocaust denier poised to claim GOP nomination in Illinois race for Congress

Jones told the Sun-Times he is a former leader of the American Nazi Party and now heads a group called the America First Committee. “Membership in this organization is open to any white American citizen of European, non-Jewish descent,” he said.

The primary is on March 20th and the only Republican running is this guy.

This is a district where the Dem primary is interesting because a DINO (is that a thing?) incumbent is facing a primary challenger with a bunch of endorsements from liberal groups.

DINO (is that a thing?)

YifevOC.gif

Last edited:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/democrats-fear-gop-tactic-control-states-recalls-52896450

Nevada's major political parties are locked in a legal battle over a Republican effort to take control of the state Senate by recalling two freshly elected Democratic lawmakers — a tactic that Democrats warn could undermine the validity of elections across the U.S.

Experts and those from both parties say the move could be the way of the future for the losing side to keep control of influential statehouses. In Nevada, no official reason was given for the recalls, and none was required. Some conservatives have been open about hoping Republicans gain partisan advantage.

Republicans in 2016 lost hold of the Nevada Senate, which Democrats now control by an 11-9 margin. The GOP then circulated petitions to recall two Democratic senators and one independent who caucuses with them.

Back