• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

But why does he need to leave to cash given the power he’s accumulated?

And why leave now?

I think they get out before the election, so they don't have that stink on them. They can thump their chests as winners and cash those lobbying checks.

Oh I agree. That's why it's not a simple cash out like LK said.

These guys see the writing on the wall. If Dems take back the House, Trump won't be the only one under investigation next year.

These guys see the writing on the wall. If Dems take back the House, Trump won't be the only one under investigation next year.

Right. Plan A is to end this thing before they start campaigning for midterms. Plan B is to throw enough crap at the wall that investigation into their activities led by Dems will look like a partisan witch hunt.

Leading Republican candidate to challenge McCaskill in Missouri:

Missouri's attorney general blames sexual revolution for sex trafficking

Perhaps inevitably, some drew correlations with Todd Akin, the 2012 Missouri U.S. Senate Republican nominee who lost to McCaskill that year after he garnered national scorn for claiming in an interview that rape is physiologically unlikely to result in pregnancy — a myth of the anti-abortion movement that has no medical basis.

Among those drawing the Akin analogy was Austin Petersen, who is also running for the GOP Senate nomination.

“These comments do nothing but foster a Todd Akin-style culture war that the GOP will lose to a formidable female incumbent,” Petersen warned on Twitter (@AP4Liberty).

He's so right. There was no prostitution or sex trafficking before the late 60s. I thought everyone knew this.

I can't wait to watch the Trump Economy crush your midterm dreams. You whiners, haters, and losers take your reality direct from the lips of Rachel Maddow. MSDNC is worse than Pravda at the height of its game. Have you learned nothing? Trump defied their polling on his way to a landslide electoral college victory. I cannot wait to bathe in losers' tears yet again.

Final comment: Why don't you slackers WORK during the day? Your behavior constitutes THEFT OF WAGES. I am in Poland where we wait until after five to slack off.

Behind Pence’s plan to rescue the Republican majority in 2018

Vice President Mike Pence is launching one of the most aggressive campaign strategies in recent White House history: he will hopscotch the country over the next three months, making nearly three dozen stops that could raise tens of millions of dollars for House and Senate Republicans, all while promoting the party's legislative accomplishments.

If done right, Pence said in an exclusive interview with POLITICO backstage before his speech to the House and Senate GOP here Wednesday night, Republicans could expand their majority in both chambers.

The vice president’s team has devised a unique ancillary strategy to support his cross-country campaigning: partnering with America First Policies — a Trump-backed public-policy non-profit group designed to boost the president's agenda — to hold public events designed specifically to discuss legislative achievements like the tax bill.

The goal is to have the group set up events to help voters understand what the White House sees as the upside of the Republicans’ legislative agenda. A senior administration official said Pence's message at the events will provide a “blueprint for how to be successful in midterms.”

That looks like a good idea. I wish Biden had done that in 2010.

The optics for Pence could be interesting. Will he be distancing himself and looking presidential while the Russia investigation heats up? Or will he be taking heat for Trump?

Yeah I have a feeling public events for the GOP will be difficult to pull off.

Good, now assuming the deadline doesn't get moved, the GOP-led state legislature has until Friday to submit a new map that the Dem governor would sign off on.

The House Districts Where the Midterms Could Get Weird

Indiana’s Ninth Congressional District (Southern Indiana)

2016: Clinton 34–Trump 61
2012: Obama 40–Romney 57
2008: Obama 46–McCain 53

In the Middle Ages wealthy nobles would send their failsons to die in Crusades. Now they send them to Congress. Representative Trey Hollingsworth grew up the son of an industrial magnate in Tennessee. His old man sent him to the finest schools but, as far as we can tell, Trey accomplished little in his business career. So Pappa Hollingworth sent him to live two states away in a vacant congressional seat, pinned $500,000 to his jacket, and told him good luck. Hollingworth won his first term with only 54 percent of the vote even as Trump cruised here.

Two Democrats think Hollingworth may still be vulnerable, even though by Election Day 2018 he’ll have lived in Indiana for two whole years. Civil rights lawyer Dan Canon and IU professor Liz Watson are both running for the nomination here. Canon’s made a lot of waves for taking some bold stances on legalizing marijuana and abolishing ICE, while Watson’s running a more traditional campaign. Democrats have two good candidates here, but I really want to see if Canon’s found the blueprint for winning as a progressive in areas that have trended Republican.

NC-13 is also discussed.

Sound the alarm: National GOP breaks glass in Pennsylvania race

The national party has deployed its full arsenal in a March 13 special House election. A loss would be a huge blow to its hopes in the midterms.

The blueprint, described by over a dozen senior party officials and strategists, underscores the enormous stakes for the party. With Republicans already deeply anxious about the midterms, a loss in Pennsylvania’s 18th District, which Trump won by 20 percentage points, would show that the party is vulnerable even in deep conservative territory and that a political bloodbath could be in the making.

Republicans have reason for alarm. In January, America First Action, the principal pro-Trump outside group, quietly conducted a poll that found Saccone with a single-digit lead over Lamb, who hails from a well-known political family in southwestern Pennsylvania.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/pennsylvania-republicans-special-election-389964?lo=ap_c1

Back