• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

For what it's worth, Sig, close to ~60%~ of Kentucky's work force has filed for unemployment since the coronavirus pandemic began. Uncharted waters.

mcconnel should just lean in to the truth. "Hello kentucky, under my 'leadership' I've brought far more money back to Kentucky from washington than kentucky has sent to those corrupt politicians. It's not enough. We want more and with me in charge we'll continue to get more than our fair share. I won't stop until that amount grows larger for every Kentuckian. I'll even work to get you some of that money directly in your pockets. Oh and the judges! A vote for me may be a vote for corruption and partisanship but it also will get you paid a handout. I'm rich mich and, like our new russian owned aluminum factory, I approved this message. Pelosi sucks!"

For what it's worth, Sig, close to ~60%~ of Kentucky's work force has filed for unemployment since the coronavirus pandemic began. Uncharted waters.

Maybe so. My experience with Kentucky, while fairly regular, is not in population centers. So maybe my experiences are not reflective of the state's direction as a whole.

I'll still put $100 on the bastard -3 vs. either Booker or McGrath

McConnell and Rand won their last Senate races by 15.5%. I’ll take Booker or McGrath +8% vs. Mitch.

Maybe so. My experience with Kentucky, while fairly regular, is not in population centers. So maybe my experiences are not reflective of the state's direction as a whole.

I'll still put $100 on the bastard -3 vs. either Booker or McGrath

I have in-laws who live in Elizabethtown, and we visit them every so often. I think Mitch is at least as bad, and in some ways even worse, than Trump, and I'll be thrilled if he loses. Having said that, based on what I've seen and heard while visiting I'd be very surprised if he does. No doubt many places even in the South are rapidly changing (like VA), but many others are still a generation or so away from major change, and most of KY is one of them, imo. It's still too rural, too native-born Southern white, too Baptist and Evangelical. If Mitch does lose I'll be more than happy that I'm wrong, but I'm with Sig on this one.

Sure Mitch is going to win. What’s wrong with wanting a strong candidate to face him?

Sure Mitch is going to win. What’s wrong with wanting a strong candidate to face him?

I'm all for picking the strongest possible candidate to oppose Mitch. I don't think they'll win no matter who it is, given that it's Kentucky, but that's no reason for the Dems not to put their best candidate forward. Mitch wasn't supposed to win his first Senate race back in 1984, as he was challenging a veteran Democratic incumbent. Aided by Reagan's landslide, he won by a very small margin. I believe it was considered to be the biggest upset of any Senate race that year. Maybe the tables will be turned this year, but I just don't see it.

Kentucky and West Virginia are the 2 states where anti;-liberal, anti-elitist cultural (racist) resentment have just completely overtaken material politics. Its also in that middle regional zone where there are just no African American populations outside of the cities.

Last edited:

Notice he doesn't challenge the fact that he pays his people less than she does.

If the party had supported the progressive candidate with $ instead of the Trump supporter, maybe he'd be able to pay more. He's working on it.

Meanwhile McGrath ran ads in Eastern Kentucky about her opposition to M4A and raising the minimum wage, and saying she'd make a better ally to Trump than McConnell.

Why you'd defend her is beyond me.

And one of the two of them has won a campaign before...

If the party had supported the progressive candidate with $ instead of the Trump supporter, maybe he'd be able to pay more. He's working on it.

Meanwhile McGrath ran ads in Eastern Kentucky about her opposition to M4A and raising the minimum wage, and saying she'd make a better ally to Trump than McConnell.

Why you'd defend her is beyond me.

What's beyond logic is your inane concept that she would ever support Trump. That's a very Trumpian tactic.

Of course, you come with excuses for your guy not living up to his alleged positions. If anyone should be paying employees and interns $15/hour, it should be a person who says it's a cornerstone of his/her campaign. If the person running won't honor his/her employees, why should anyone believe him/her on anything?

You give anyone who mouths things you like (even if they don't live them) miles of latitude but if someone doesn't verbalize exactly what you want to hear, they get zero quarters.

What's beyond logic is your inane concept that she would ever support Trump. That's a very Trumpian tactic.

Of course, you come with excuses for your guy not living up to his alleged positions. If anyone should be paying employees and interns $15/hour, it should be a person who says it's a cornerstone of his/her campaign. If the person running won't honor his/her employees, why should anyone believe him/her on anything?

You give anyone who mouths things you like (even if they don't live them) miles of latitude but if someone doesn't verbalize exactly what you want to hear, they get zero quarters.

Dude what are you talking about? She has tons of quotes about how McConnell hasn't done enough to help Trump's agenda.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...seeks-makeover-pro-trump-democrat/1680960001/

I am volunteering for Charles Booker, and not because I am trying to make a living or any money off of it as well. For anybody who has ever worked on a grassroots campaign they'll tell you it's a challenge trying to get money to print fliers much less pay staff much less pay staff what they deserve and give them healthcare. It's what you strive for building a campaign staff, but it's not always tenable. Personally, I think it's more important he's fighting for a $15 minimum wage in Kentucky and Medicare for All than giving his tiny campaign staff of mostly distributed volunteers a good salary, and I think most of my fellow volunteers working for him would tell you the same. It's clear to me you aren't a part of this kind of participatory politics they way you talk about it.

For anybody who has ever worked on a grassroots campaign they'll tell you it's a challenge trying to get money to print fliers much less pay staff much less pay staff what they deserve and give them healthcare. It's what you strive for building a campaign staff, but it's not always tenable.

This.

goddamn I am so sick and tired of the electability bullshit that raises the esteem of some of these candyass candidates

have some fucking principles at least occasionally

It looks like Booker's #2 problem (money is #1) is getting started too late. McGrath has a lot of juice behind her, but he has to find a way to break into the name recognition problem.

Back