• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

I mean I’m jaded from two decades of trying

Two decades of trying resulted in kids 20 years younger than you who are already better that prior generations at progressive activism and politics. At least let them get their 30s before you give up.

Last edited:
I haven’t given up I’m just telling you my expectations and being realistic about the expectations the generation below me should expect about incremental progress

Which is to say it’s far too little and far too late

Two decades of trying resulted in kids 20 years younger than you who are already better that prior generations at progressive activism and politics. At least let them get their 30s before you give up.

I feel like I posted something very similar about growing progressive movement within congress and I was rebutted? My whole premise was that my entire hope was based upon Progressive candidates taking over. Is that not exactly what you're saying?

I don't remember rebutting something like that. I don't remember you saying it. I'm the one saying that there's a growing progressive movement within the Democratic Party.

I don't remember rebutting something like that. I don't remember you saying it. I'm the one saying that there's a growing progressive movement within the Democratic Party.

Well ok, since you clearly understand that the movement toward progressivism is nascent and burgeoning, you should also be able to understand why I have so few politicians that I "like". Now it's even more confusing why you gave me grief about that.

Well ok, since you clearly understand that the movement toward progressivism is nascent and burgeoning, you should also be able to understand why I have so few politicians that I "like". Now it's even more confusing why you gave me grief about that.

Because you're willing to wait however long it takes to get 51 progressives in the Senate and I want progressives to work with others to get things done as soon as possible.

Because you're willing to wait however long it takes to get 51 progressives in the Senate and I want progressives to work with others to get things done as soon as possible.

lol, bud I hate to break it to you, but your optimism and my pessimism about incremental progress are worth about the same. I am actually laughing (not just typing lol) that you referred to it as my willing-ness, as if i'm filibustering legislation. I'm just sitting here in my underwear typing about sneakers, please don't let me stop progress.

I don't know how you keep misinterpreting what I'm saying like that, but you do you.

I don't know how you keep misinterpreting what I'm saying like that, but you do you.

Unless you were quoting Hamilton about me being "willing to wait for it" *zing*, then I think my comprehension was spot on. Posting isn't praxis - we're not doing activism on OGboards, we're just annoying each other. I'm not sure why you think that I personally need to have put together some bipartisan plan to get Medicare For All or The Green New Deal passed. I just teach autistic kids how to ask for food or wipe their ass, I have no part in getting legislation passed, beyond my ability to leave a voice mail for my Representatives intern that will literally never be listened to.

Unless you were quoting Hamilton about me being "willing to wait for it" *zing*, then I think my comprehension was spot on. Posting isn't praxis - we're not doing activism on OGboards, we're just annoying each other. I'm not sure why you think that I personally need to have put together some bipartisan plan to get Medicare For All or The Green New Deal passed. I just teach autistic kids how to ask for food or wipe their ass, I have no part in getting legislation passed, beyond my ability to leave a voice mail for my Representatives intern that will literally never be listened to.

I don't think that. You think I think that.

We're all just spitting about our ideas here.

moving the Ilhan Omar conversation away from the anti-semitism thread:

Ilhan's opponent in hot water for sending out a mailer that suggested all his Jewish campaign donations were on behalf of Israel.

I'm not saying this is the case, but with all the evidence so far, is it possible that Anton Melton-Meaux's campaign is being astroturfed by Republicans, very similarly to AOCs primary opponent, Michelle Caruso Cabrera, whose own husband was a well.known Republican consultant

It's a pretty easy grift. Primary a hated House Dem with no plan to win. Make a lot of money from angry Pubs. Rinse and repeat in two years.

Eh, they're as likely to be patsies as grifters - wannabe politicians being gassed up by a Republican operation meant to drive a wedge between the progressive wing and the Democratic Party.

Thank you! I didn't want to post on that thread.

Has anyone seen any analysis on where Omar's opponent's money is coming from? I've been keeping an eye on the FEC site, but the details for his donors isn't up yet.

That's a fair characterization as well. That's a patsy situation like Ben Carson. Put up a figurehead and bring in a ton of money for the staff and consultants.

Thank you! I didn't want to post on that thread.

Has anyone seen any analysis on where Omar's opponent's money is coming from? I've been keeping an eye on the FEC site, but the details for his donors isn't up yet.

Some info here: https://www.minnpost.com/national/2...-six-times-the-money-that-rep-ilhan-omar-did/

Melton-Meaux has also raised about 20 percent of his large-dollar donations with the help of pro-Israel Political Action Committees that bundled donations — meaning they collected them on behalf of the candidate.

Melton-Meaux raised $382,000 in donations bundled by the Pro-Israel America PAC, a nonpartisan political committee that supports both Republican and Democrat pro-Israel candidates. He also raised nearly $106,000 in bundled donations through NORPAC, a political action committee that supports conservative policies in Israel.

Besides the bundled donations, Melton-Meaux’s campaign has directly raised $34,000 from PACs. They include: Citizens Organized, Friends of Israel, Grand Canyon State Caucus, Heartland PAC, Maryland Association for Concerned Citizens, Mid-Manhattan PAC, Pro-Israel America PAC and Sun PAC, all listed as pro-Israel by OpenSecrets.

And from here: https://www.startribune.com/omar-al...nto-melton-meaux-primary-challenge/571839451/

Martin cast contributions to unseat the DFL-endorsed incumbent as efforts to “silence a progressive champion rooted in xenophobia.” He did not provide examples of specific donors, but cited an analysis showing Melton-Meaux’s average contribution on the Democratic fundraising site ActBlue in the month of May was $650. The average donor to Omar gives $18.

“Minnesotans need to ask where is this mountain of money coming from and why are they doing it and what do they expect for it,” said Ellison, an Omar ally who represented the district until 2018.

I heard more recently on a podcast ep but don't know their sources.

And from here: https://www.startribune.com/omar-al...nto-melton-meaux-primary-challenge/571839451/

I heard more recently on a podcast ep but don't know their sources.

Thank you! His filing is publicly available, so they could be pulling directly from there. I'm just waiting on aggregate info. I don't know enough to make a list of 5000 names mean something.

Melton-Meaux has support from major national donors, too, including John Gray, of private equity firm Blackstone, and Seth Klarman, a hedge fund billionaire who has given millions to Republicans.

oh

The PAC donations are new this quarter.

Also among Melton-Meaux’s Minnesota supporter base is Second District Rep. Angie Craig’s wife, Cheryl Greene, according to a list of ActBlue donations compiled by nonprofit news outlet ProPublica. Craig hasn’t endorsed anyone in the CD5 race, but she formerly worked with Melton-Meaux at St. Jude Medical. Her former deputy finance director Aidan Johnson now works on Melton-Meaux’s campaign. Greene gave $199 to Melton-Meaux’s campaign in March.

lol, I wonder if they were trying to avoid being itemized by giving just under $200?

So today Ilhan Omar put up an amendment to speed up the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan. It was voted down by 103 Democrats. Am I supposed to critisize Ilhan Omar for putting up an amendment, which I agree with, that was never going to pass? If there is some more logical and moderate pull out proposal that would get Democratic support, where is it? If you're only grading politicians based on the success or popularity of their positions, you're absolutely ignoring the enormous holes within their ideology, and stances they're unwilling to take.

129-103 among Dems looks like a starting point to work from.

Back