• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

I'm truly wondering where the 85% proposals to get out of Afghanistan are. Not going to get into another slapfight of pragmatic compromise vs purity, but there is no "85%" of Medicare 4 All, Green New Deal, Federal Jobs Guarantee, Homes Guarantee. There's no viable "85% compromise" proposal for any of those things, and it's absolutely asanine to imply that a Cal Cunningham-type Democrat is going to support "85%, whatever that is.

I will say this - Bernie Sanders is an "85%" Democrat. Work backwards from that.

I'm truly wondering where the 85% proposals to get out of Afghanistan are. Not going to get into another slapfight of pragmatic compromise vs purity, but there is no "85%" of Medicare 4 All, Green New Deal, Federal Jobs Guarantee, Homes Guarantee. There's no viable "85% compromise" proposal for any of those things, and it's absolutely asanine to imply that a Cal Cunningham-type Democrat is going to support "85%, whatever that is.

Ok. Tom Tillis isn’t going to support jack shit.

So around 40% of Democrats voted to reduce Pentagon spending and to speed up the timeline to get out of Afghanistan. That's a good floor.

I can’t wait until there are only 50 Democrats left and they all vote for exactly what I want them to.

I feel like a lot of the people saying that the party has been pushed left considerably over the past, say, four or years are also the ones saying (or agreeing) that 40% of Dems supporting a progressive issue is a good floor

these are not contradictory ideas to hold, but if you believe both of the above then you also must realize 1) how far center the Democrat party was and is and 2) how far the party is from being remotely progressive in any meaningfully sustainable way

I personally don't believe that progressive ideas are that popular among those who vote, so I agree with the chrisL set in that sense -- what I do think is misguided is any argument that the capital-p Party, its leadership, its policy priorities, its influential donors, and its rank-and-file are progressive in the sense that I understand and use the word

That's a pretty reasonable post. I think #1 and #2 are definitely true. But I think you don't have to calculate "far" based on how people vote right now. I think the party is closer based on activism and political activity of people under 25, suburban white women moving to the left, and how close many elected Dems are to retirement. I'm also optimistic that the realization that Republicans are full of shit and that their power depends solely on white supremacist structures will motivate Dems to dismantle them.

I can’t wait until there are only 50 Democrats left and they all vote for exactly what I want them to.

To quote the rap luminary, Jay-Z "What you eat don't make me shit". In other words - desperate people aren't satisfied by other peoples comfort. Another incisive quote from Poet Anatole France, "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, to steal bread." - Compromise from any point of view except the most in need, is no compromise.

To quote the rap luminary, Jay-Z "What you eat don't make me shit". In other words - desperate people aren't satisfied by other peoples comfort. Another incisive quote from Poet Anatole France, "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, to steal bread." - Compromise from any point of view except the most in need, is no compromise.

You're quoting a verse from a 1%er bragging about how well he's doing. In that line, Jay-Z is saying doesn't need to care about the less successful haters who want to bring him down. That line is a creative way of saying "I don't give a shit about you" because I don't have to.

Last edited:
You're quoting a verse from a 1%er bragging about how well he's doing. In that line, Jay-Z is saying doesn't need to care about the less successful haters who want to bring him down. That line is a creative way of saying "I don't give a shit about you" because I don't have to.

He's using a simple metaphor to express a general statement, that another persons condition doesn't produce a response from him. You're just adding superfluous context that doesn't change the meaning of the metaphor, which still is "I don't digest food that you ate". While your comfort may influence your political decision making, I don't share your comfort, just as how moderate Democrats life experiences may not demand an extreme political agenda, many others do require it.

Superfluous context as in the rest of the verse? He's basically expressing what you think moderate Dems believe.

The whole song is about how people hate him because he has money. It's basically a "class warfare" argument. He's mocking people who aren't doing as well as him. Here's the first verse.

Make a good argument, but don't misappropriate lyrics out of context to twist their meaning especially when the actual meaning is the opposite of what you think.

I know the song Ph, its how I pulled the quote from memory. The context is superfluous to the metaphor, and I know that because the metaphor works without the song. The way that metaphors work.

For instance, if you were to see a person eating and say to them, "Hey, that food that you're eating? You're gonna shit that out, not me. I can't shit out food that you ate, that I didn't eat"

You see how thats a logical statement that actually stands on its own, without referencing jealousy or drug dealing? **whispers** "METAPHOR"

I do enjoy our shared appreciation of early Jay-Z.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree.

Honestly, I was meh on Jay-Z until Blueprint dropped on 9/11. I listened the hell out of that album. I like his earlier stuff now, but it wasn't really into what was hot at the parties at the time.

Cook report just moved Iowa and ga purdue seat to toss up

Cook report just moved Iowa and ga purdue seat to toss up

The IA polling both for president and senate has consistently been close, so I agree with that. I posted a couple weeks ago that Dems should throw a bunch of $$ there both because the polling is close and because it's a cheap state to advertise in. I'm not buying Purdue in GA, though. Still think GA is fools gold, and it's expensive.

The IA polling both for president and senate has consistently been close, so I agree with that. I posted a couple weeks ago that Dems should throw a bunch of $$ there both because the polling is close and because it's a cheap state to advertise in. I'm not buying Purdue in GA, though. Still think GA is fools gold, and it's expensive.

Agreed. Democrats can invest in close races in IA, MT, and ME and get the desired impact without throwing money toward Jon Ossoff.

Agreed. Democrats can invest in close races in IA, MT, and ME and get the desired impact without throwing money toward Jon Ossoff.

Yeah but that Ossoff han solo and chewie commercial was top notch.

Back