• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2011 Atlanta Braves Thread: Go Braves!!!

So... is Billy Wagner ever going to file his retirement paperwork? We could've protected either Hyde or Ortegano...

So... is Billy Wagner ever going to file his retirement paperwork? We could've protected either Hyde or Ortegano...

According to DOB it sounds like the Braves just decided to drop Hyde and Ortegano. They were on the 40-man, and if the Braves had needed a spot they could have moved Medlen to the 60-Day disabled list. It doesn't sound like Wagner had anything to do with this, but I do think it is weird that he still hasn't filed the paperwork...

I just don't see why they wouldn't have wanted to stash one of those guys in AAA in case one of our left handed relievers goes down. We really only have two LOOGY's now... EOF and George Sherrill. One is old and one is coming off injury. I'd feel much more comfortable if we had one of those guys still on the roster, especially with all the lefties in the NL East.

It does make you wonder if Wren and Fredi are going to be looking to pick up another LOOGY from somewhere else. Also makes you wonder if there is a possibility that if Beachy beats out Minor for the 5th starter spot if there's a possibility that Minor gets the last bullpen spot instead of Martinez and serves as a spot starter, long reliever, and LOOGY (I think that's a real stretch, but who knows...)

We are definitely short on LHP as EOF, Sherrill, Minor, Venters, and the retired Wagner are the only lefties on the 40 man.

It does make you wonder if Wren and Fredi are going to be looking to pick up another LOOGY from somewhere else. Also makes you wonder if there is a possibility that if Beachy beats out Minor for the 5th starter spot if there's a possibility that Minor gets the last bullpen spot instead of Martinez and serves as a spot starter, long reliever, and LOOGY (I think that's a real stretch, but who knows...)

We are definitely short on LHP as EOF, Sherrill, Minor, Venters, and the retired Wagner are the only lefties on the 40 man.

No way... best reason for Beachy to get the fifth starter spot is so Minor can work on an extra pitch in AAA.

I think it's more likely that we trade for a LOOGY if EOF and Sherrill can't get the job done. We really shouldn't move Venters into that role because we need him to pitch in the 8th and 9th.

Cross your fingers they are effective.

From Bill Shanks:

Brandon Beachy will be the 5th starter. Mike Minor has been optioned down to AAA Gwinnett. He is here on the back fields now working out.

WOW.

Beachy's spring was just too good to pass up. I'm pretty sure we'll see Minor up in the bigs once the first pitcher hits the 15 day DL, which happens every year.

You keep Beachy and Minor. Wheels are going to fall off Lowe and Hudson sooner rather than later.

JJ, Hanson, Beachy, Minor should be the future.

Don't forget my boi Krissy Medlin!! He's back in August, that's going to be a huge shot in the arm in the dog days for our staff.

I'm just not that high on Jurrjens. I think he's peaked and his numbers are going to get worse. I think we should trade him sooner rather thanlater.

Jurrjens just pulled a hammy in this afternoon's spring training game. It looks like Beachy and Minor could both be in the opening day rotation...

And don't forget about Teheran when discussing the Braves' future starting rotation...

Jurrjens just pulled a hammy in this afternoon's spring training game. It looks like Beachy and Minor could both be in the opening day rotation...

And don't forget about Teheran when discussing the Braves' future starting rotation...

Now saying it was pain in Jurrjen's right side not a hammy. It sounds more minor than what was originally reported...

I still think we live and die (World Series wise) on the health of Chipper this year.

If he can be healthy in the pennant run and in the playoffs, the Braves are gonna be a tough out.

Don't forget Braves vs Phillies on at 1 EST on ESPN today. We get a nice preview of us beating up on them.

Here's to a good year!

Go Braves!

ax1t1i.jpg

Back