• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2011 Atlanta Braves Thread: Go Braves!!!

Not looking too freakin good today bros.

Only 4 starters playing in this game so I'm not too concerned.

Proctor cut. Mather to waivers. Hicks, Conrad, Young, and Martinez make the Opening Day roster. Love it.

I still think we live and die (World Series wise) on the health of Chipper this year.

If he can be healthy in the pennant run and in the playoffs, the Braves are gonna be a tough out.

I think a solid year out of Nate is even more important. Going to head to the Ted a lot more than I have in the last few years. This team is going to be damn good!

Proctor cut. Mather to waivers. Hicks, Conrad, Young, and Martinez make the Opening Day roster. Love it.

Nice to see performance drive this move. Wren could have very easily stuck with Mather over Young because of needing a RH bat and Mather's flexibility. I'm actually pretty pleased with this addition. Young's OBP the last three seasons in the minors have all been .380+. His stolen bases were 30, 43, and 39 the last three seasons. Even though he's another LH hitter in this lineup, he provides speed and knows how to get on base. If anything, he's a good late inning replacement on the bases. Like these roster moves a lot.

Got my opening day ticket for next week, who all is going to the Nattiecakes game on Thursday?!

Braves trade the rights to LHP Scott Diamond (who the Twins had selected in the Rule 5 draft last November) for RHP Billy Bullock. Keith Law loves the trade for Atlanta, tweets, "Really like this move for Atlanta - Bullock > Diamond by a wide margin."

From Dave O'Brien:
"Righty the #Braves got in the trade, Billy Bullock, is a huge, hard thrower. He's 6-6, 225 pounds, went 2-8 with a 3.53 ERA in 58 appearances between Single-A Fort Myers and Double-AA New Britain last year, with105 strikeouts in 74 innings. His 27 saves last season ranked 11th in minor league baseball, while he was fourth in strikeouts among pitchers who made no starts."

Last edited:
With Prado being the backup at 3rd base/2nd base and Hinske being the backup at 1st base, you really only need Hicks to fill in occasionally at SS. It still is odd to have an NL player on your roster who you cannot rely on at all to provide dependable defense.

Hicks also plays a solid 3B and there is some thought that he'll play 3B some when Chipper needs a rest keeping Prado in LF....

Opening Day can't get here soon enough! I am so freaking psyched for this season and the future of this ballclub.

Indirectly Braves related- Lidge out until late May at the earliest. Three weeks ago, when Lidge was experience arm pain, team doctors only performed an MRI on his elbow- due to his prior year discomfort. Lidge then continued to throw with this rear shoulder injury until being shut down again at the end of last week. Way to go above and beyond on that search, team docs.

Apparently Charlie is going with Contreras because he doesn't think Madson can handle 9th innings. Lolzzzzz.

Look how Heyward worked the count. What a stud.

Explanation here

Heyward-Count.png

Last edited:
Fredi announced the opening day lineup:

1. Left fielder Martin Prado, 2. Center fielder Nate McLouth, 3. Third baseman Chipper Jones, 4. Catcher Brian McCann, 5. Second baseman Dan Uggla, 6. Right fielder Jason Heyward, 7. Shortstop Alex Gonzalez and 8. First baseman Freddie Freeman.

Someone on a Braves blog yesterday made the case that Heyward should be batting cleanup, since he has power (to bring in the guys ahead of him) and he gets on base so well (and could be driven in by McCann and Uggla). Really, #3 is the best place for him but we all know that won't happen until Chipper retires.

But he really should NOT be hitting #6 for an extended period of time.

I'd put McClouth at leadoff and make it clear to him that his job in the offense is to get on base and not to try to hit for power. Martin handles the bat plenty well enough to bat 2nd and has enough pop to drive in runs even from that part of the lineup (I should disclose here that I have an unabashed man-crush on Prado).

I'd switch Mac and J-Hey as well. I just don't like the idea of hitting the catcher in the cleanup spot.

In any event, this lineup is pretty solid and should score some runs.

Back