• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Australian Open

I'd like to see Rafa threaten Roger's Slam record, but with Novak's emergence over the last year, it is going to be very difficult.

I'd like to see Rafa threaten Roger's Slam record, but with Novak's emergence over the last year, it is going to be very difficult.

Rafa isn't going to last much longer. There's just no way he beats Fed's record. His game is simply destroying his body, and it's starting to show.

Pete Sampras disagrees

Even if Pete was a nice guy on and off the court, that doesn't change the fact that nearly all tennis players have a certain level of douchiness and cockiness. Tennis is an "all about me" game for those who make it to this level; you don't get there without an attitude that you are going to be the best.

Pete Sampras disagrees

Growing up 4 houses down the road from Pete, he is my favorite player of all time. No question. However, on the court he hid his emotions completely. You never saw anything except when he was receiving his trophies. A lot of people would argue that some of the more recent events are more indicative of his personality than what we saw before.

Even so, I think the way he handled himself throughout his career was true class. However nowhere does this mean he doesn't have those overarching characteristics of nearly all the elite players.

Anyone prior to Pete was also a different era of tennis.

Rafa isn't going to last much longer. There's just no way he beats Fed's record. His game is simply destroying his body, and it's starting to show.

Agree. Can't play like he does for too many years (watch, now he'll prove us wrong).

Why does everything blue look so much cooler when it comes to tennis. Blue ping pong tables are so much more awesome than green ones.

the first set of this match was only 2 minutes shorter than the entire women's final. good god women's tennis is so miserable...

the first set of this match was only 2 minutes shorter than the entire women's final. good god women's tennis is so miserable...

I didn't watch the whole thing, but why did this match take so long? Seemed like it was an hour longer than the next closest final, and there have been some recent five set grand slam finals (Wimbeldon Federer-Nadal & Federer-Roddick)

I didn't watch the whole thing, but why did this match take so long? Seemed like it was an hour longer than the next closest final, and there have been some recent five set grand slam finals (Wimbeldon Federer-Nadal & Federer-Roddick)

well anytime it's Wimbledon the points are gonna be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter. the Roddick Fed match is a perfect example. there were so many aces in that match. meanwhile Djok and Rafa play the best defensive tennis on the tour (to match some of the best offensive tennis). they also both take a TON of time between points (have you watched Djok bounce the ball before he serves?) add it all up (along with how close it was) and you get a nearly 6 hour long match...

The grass at Wimbledon results in shorter points since the ball does not bounce as high; it more or less skids off the grass rather than bouncing.

If these two meet in the French Open final, it will be a long match again since points on clay last the longest of any surface.

Glad to see Djokovic win. Nadal's game makes me want to vomit. It has to absolutely suck to be Andy Murray.

Glad to see Djokovic win. Nadal's game makes me want to vomit. It has to absolutely suck to be Andy Murray.

He is likely to have a career similar to Andy Roddick. Eventually, he will probably break through and win a Slam, but I wouldn't bet money on him winning two of them. He hung better with Novak this year than last, but so did Rafa and it didn't change the end result.

He is likely to have a career similar to Andy Roddick. Eventually, he will probably break through and win a Slam, but I wouldn't bet money on him winning two of them. He hung better with Novak this year than last, but so did Rafa and it didn't change the end result.

Agree that he'll probably win one at some point. If he keeps making the semis consistently over the next couple years it's bound to happen.

The difference is that Andy Murray is getting shutting out because Federer/Nadal/Djokavic are in their prime.

Roddick won his GS (and Hewitt won his 2 GSs) at one of the weaker periods in men's tennis - when Sampras and Agassi were already past their primes and before Federer became Federer.

If their ages were reversed, I imagine Murray would've won a handful of majors in the 2000-2004 period, and Roddick/Hewitt would never win a GS in the 2009-201? period.

The difference is that Andy Murray is getting shutting out because Federer/Nadal/Djokavic are in their prime.

Roddick won his GS (and Hewitt won his 2 GSs) at one of the weaker periods in men's tennis - when Sampras and Agassi were already past their primes and before Federer became Federer.

If their ages were reversed, I imagine Murray would've won a handful of majors in the 2000-2004 period, and Roddick/Hewitt would never win a GS in the 2009-201? period.

Roddick turned pro in 2000 at the age of 18. He won his first major in 2003 at the age of 21. Roger won his first major in 2003 and then won every single hard/grass court slam except the 2005 Aussie between 2004 and 2007. Every single one. Murray would have done no better than Roddick.

Certainly a weak period, but a quick count shows that Roddick has been knocked out of the late rounds of slams at least 7 times by Fed, including 4 finals. So its the same problem Murray has: in his prime he is one of the best tennis players in the world but unfortunately for both, there was someone a little better.

Back