• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 NASCAR Season Long Thread

Also for Rubbin or whomever, I always wondered why they couldn't just use lower gear ratios to lower speeds or something of that nature. Is there not an alternative to the plate that would lower speeds but still allow for more variations in setup that would allow for more separation?

Yes. Remove the aerodynamic aids on the car. They aren't going fast simply because of the gear stack or the motor. This is momentum racing - they are going fast because the (relatively speaking) don't have to lift (off throttle). If you can make the car dance in the turns at a much lower speed, you have a lot more variance of what speeds cars can get into the turns, what speed they come off of them at and you have a much more varied field.

If you simply want to limit speeds, limiting the gear ratios would work. It would however not be the best way to do so (pretty sure NASCAR restricts gear ratios anyway but that's not here or there). Along the lines of my above comments, you want to limit the speed a car goes down a drag strip or around a road course or an oval, the easiest thing you can do is change the limit of adhesion (i.e. bolt on some winter tires). Now going around Daytona (or really any track for these guys), the weight of the cars and the force they are putting into the tires, I don't think you can compromise mechanical grip by putting on a lesser tire, but if you remove the wing and aero and ground effects, you have effected the same change.

Good job Nascar. Brilliant bring back the pack racing. Maybe when someone gets killed again or a car goes into the grandstand it will really be great. The tandem racing was much safer and the drivers liked it.

It's sort of apples to oranges. Tandem racing has its own dangers - the guy in back is driving completely blind.

What a race. Just caught up on dvr. Kyle Busch is the best racer since Senior. Hands down. Should be a good year. Let's go racon boys!!! Junior 2012!!!88!!!1!!!

I changed the title to open this up to a general discussion we can have all season long.

Anyone going down for the twin 150s or the 500?

Also, how badass is the .4 mile short track they're paving on the back stretch? I'm looking forward to the modifieds running there next season.

I'm leaving Friday morning to meet StonevilleIceTea in Jax to head to Daytona for my 10th straight Speedweek. Probably my 2nd favorite week of the year, behind the Masters. Started out as a Monday - Monday trip, but has dwindled to Friday - Monday these days.

Hopefully this one turns out the same way it did the last time the 48 got caught cheating in Daytona...

Good thread. I agree with TSY, I love short tracks. Adam, your idea makes sense to me about the aero packages on supers. Plate racing just evens the field out too much. It's more about being in the right place at the right time or missing the "big one" than racing. Would give anything for them to reopen N. Wilks. and maybe alternate throwback tracks every year (like Hickory, Rockingham, etc.). Been to Charlotte tons of times. I enjoy it, but the sport would benefit (competition-wise) from more short tracks.

And yes Rubbin, I think Kyle will be the next Sr. People forget now how many fans hated Dale back in the day. In your face, you or me kind of racing. Kyle is kind of like that (as much as you can be in the current nascar), and he is talented as hell. Prolly one of the best "wheel men" out there right now.

Pulling hard for the 83 team. Landon is a good kid & if anybody is looking for a underdog to pull for, BK Racing should be a good storyline to follow this year. Really excited they're getting both those cars on the track full-time.

Holy Shit, what a weekend. This thread really blew up while I was gone...

As a casual race fan, it was a helluva race. Great night to be at the track - cool, but not cold, decent crowd considering it was an exhibition race. Everything you guys mentioned to me made complete sense when I was watching the race, so thanks everyone.

In practice today, the top 4 cars have best laps >200mph. I hate I have to work and will miss the Twin 150s tomorrow.

In practice today, the top 4 cars have best laps >200mph. I hate I have to work and will miss the Twin 150s tomorrow.

Agreed...when we used to go down for the entire week the Twins were always my favorite races of the week. Anyone got any idea on where this will be streaming tomorrow afternoon?

Agreed...when we used to go down for the entire week the Twins were always my favorite races of the week. Anyone got any idea on where this will be streaming tomorrow afternoon?

There is a link on NASCAR.com for Race Veiw 360 - it is free for the qualifiers.

Can't wait even though this cold is kicking my a$$! "Tickle" has done stocked me up for the weekend so I'm good to go. Can't wait to "make it rain" at the Ocean Deck.

And yes Rubbin, I think Kyle will be the next Sr. People forget now how many fans hated Dale back in the day. In your face, you or me kind of racing. Kyle is kind of like that (as much as you can be in the current nascar), and he is talented as hell. Prolly one of the best "wheel men" out there right now.

Difference here imo, is folks did not like Sr for his rough driving. Kyle is just an all around punk, as is his sorry ass brother.

I've been catching some of the old 500s on ESPN classic this week. So awesome to see them driving real cars instead of the giant baby carriages they have now.

I've been catching some of the old 500s on ESPN classic this week. So awesome to see them driving real cars instead of the giant baby carriages they have now.

The 1979 finish is one of the greatest of all time IMO. The beating and banging between Cale and Donnie on the back stretch is something I wish they could get back to.

Figured I should start following this thread some.

My dad and I have enjoyed NASCAR for years but with particular interest since BB&T (my dad's company) started sponsoring Clint Bowyer in the Nationwide and, subsequently, the Cup. We felt like we finally had a reason to follow a specific guy - as well as the rest of RCR - and have been Clint fans ever since.

Now that Clint's moved on to Michael Waltrip's team I'll still follow him but I think our allegiances might stick more with Burton, who's picking up the BB&T car. Always liked Jeff, seems like a classy guy. Would be nice to stick with following RCR as well (ever since Richard put Kyle Busch in a headlock, I can't think of a better owner...). Never been a big fan of Michael Waltrip anyway.

So yeah, go Jeff and go Clint and I'm looking forward to this coming season.

Boogity Boogity etc.

Back