• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013-2014 TV Season Thread

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
FOX was the first network to announce pilots they picked up today. A couple of them sound pretty good

Perhaps the highest profile pick-up was Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the Andy Samberg/Andre Braugher ensemble comedy pilot from Parks and Rec showrunner Michael Schur about “what happens when a detective who doesn’t take anything seriously gets a new ‘by-the-book’ boss who wants him to grow up and respect the badge.”

In addition to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, on the comedy side, Fox picked up the Christopher Meloni pilot, Surviving Jack, about a boy becoming a man, and a man becoming a father, based on Justin Halpern’s semi-autobiographical book, I Suck at Girls. (Scrubs‘ Bill Lawrence is a producer).

On the drama side, the buzziest pilot pick up is Greg Kinnear’s Rake, based on the Australian series. It centers on “Keegan Deane, one of life’s great addicts, a brilliant and frustratingly charming criminal defense attorney, whose chaotic and self-destructive personal life often gets in the way of his professional one. He takes on the cases that nobody else will touch, ruled by a resolute optimism, belief in justice and dogged determination to defend those who seem beyond redemption – much like himself.” Rake will likely be a mid-season series, that will follow a similar release strategy to Kevin Bacon’s The Following.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/fox-picks-up-7-new-shows-theyll-probably-cancel-next-year/

Doesn't CBS already have a young white guy, hard nosed black guy cop show featuring Chi McBride? Maybe that's the new thing.

Oh man. JK Simmons and Parker Posey starring in a sitcom narrated by Jason Bateman. Awesome

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/09/about-a-boy-nbc-series-orders/

"It’s not every family that’s brought closer together by divorce, but then again, the Fishers aren’t exactly typical. Take Mel Fisher (J.K. Simmons), for example. Whether it’s chopping down trees, showing his daughter how to drive or playing football with his son, he’s never let the fact that he’s blind slow him down. Then there’s Joyce Fisher (Parker Posey), possibly the only mom in Pasadena to smoke a pipe. For her, divorce is like a second coming of age, a chance to be the teen she never was. Just ask’80s-obsessed teenage daughter Katie (Ava Deluca-Verley), whose clothes Joyce is always borrowing (that is, when she’s not tagging along with Katie to the mall). At the center of all this is Henry (Eli Baker), the Fisher’s 11-year old son. Having always been his dad’s eyes, ears and wingman, Henry’s less than thrilled when Mel shows up with Elvis, a guide dog … which is also how Henry learns about the pending divorce. Awkward. While reluctant to the changes this “big ball of fur” would bring, it’s through the adult Henry’s voice-over (Jason Bateman) that we find out his parent’s split would “allow all of us to finally discover…who we needed to be.”"

For British crime drama fans, Luther, Sherlock & Whitechapel are filming new seasons, but I haven't seen anything about when they'll air.

I don't know if it qualifies as "British" since it's set in Civil War-era NYC, but I've really enjoyed Copper on BBCA. Top Gear goes without saying as must-see but Copper has been good through 2 seasons.

I don't know if it qualifies as "British" since it's set in Civil War-era NYC, but I've really enjoyed Copper on BBCA. Top Gear goes without saying as must-see but Copper has been good through 2 seasons.

Copper is really good!

I'm so glad NBC sucks. They put up number of shows they thought could replace Parks & Rec and Community but they're still here.

Suck it Whitney and Animal Practice!

I'm so glad NBC sucks. They put up number of shows they thought could replace Parks & Rec and Community but they're still here.

Community is a shell of itself.

They've cleaned house the past two days. They don't have good shows. I think I only watch one show on NBC and that's the new normal.

They've cleaned house the past two days. They don't have good shows. I think I only watch one show on NBC and that's the new normal.

Parks and Recreation is probably the best sitcom on television. That's all they have though

Back