• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 FB RECRUITING MEGATHREAD: Stevenson! 1RB,1DL,1K,2WR,5LB,1QB,5OL,3DB,2TE

It probably won't happen, but

Yeah, welcome back. Can you tell us anything about Sheldon Lewinson? With Hazime coming off the ACL, I am thinking we might want to use Lewinson to back up Nikita. Also, is Gallagher able to play and give us anything?

Our OL and DL might be better than projected.

When I look at Lewinson, 250 lbs, runs around a 4.6, bench presses a truck . . . I see a mean Inside Linebacker. I know he played nose guard in high school, but just sayin.

When I look at Lewinson, 250 lbs, runs around a 4.6, bench presses a truck . . . I see a mean Inside Linebacker. I know he played nose guard in high school, but just sayin.

My understanding is that Lewinson was recruited specifically as a nose guard and in interviews, Lewinson said he planned to play nose guard at WFU. Of course, anything can happen when he gets on campus.

They falsified their addresses? Lame. Pretty sure that stuff happens routinely everywhere... I thought it was totally accepted at this point. I know in Texas the standard thing for high schools to do is give parents of players jobs, like school secretary or something, and then pay them well enough to get them to move.

Yeah. I thought that punishment was pretty harsh, especially since they determined the coaches didn't know.

I'm beginning to rethink some things in HS education. If kids can go to magnet schools that focus on arts or engineering or health fields, why not set up a athletic training or kinesiology curriculum for a "football magnet" school?

Yeah. I thought that punishment was pretty harsh, especially since they determined the coaches didn't know.

I'm beginning to rethink some things in HS education. If kids can go to magnet schools that focus on arts or engineering or health fields, why not set up a athletic training or kinesiology curriculum for a "football magnet" school?

Sounds like European style soccer academies. I'm all for that. The "education" those athlete-students get isn't exactly the best, but it's still the right path for athletically gifted individuals.

You're an educator right? That cannot be a popular idea with most members of your profession, right?

You're an educator right? That cannot be a popular idea with most members of your profession, right?

Of course not. It's not a perfect idea. But introducing student-athletes to fields in athletics that they may want to pursue is a good thing.

Of course not. It's not a perfect idea. But introducing student-athletes to fields in athletics that they may want to pursue is a good thing.

I think it is a good idea, so long as these schools have to meet somewhat rigorous academic standards.

Just to push back, why does it have to be somewhat rigorous? Why can't they focus primarily on athletics while also learning a trade that will be useful?

Need to be able to count all their money and know how to make wise investments, so they won't be utterly broke 5 years after their professional playing days are ended:noidea:

Add some financial literacy classes? I'm actually not sure if that would help though. Doctors and Lawyers frequently mismanage their money, and it's not because they don't know how to discount to present value

Just to push back, why does it have to be somewhat rigorous? Why can't they focus primarily on athletics while also learning a trade that will be useful?

Why can't useful trade be rigorous?

Texas, you seem to be thinking that kids who want to play football at a particular program are only on a track to be pro football players and not legit students.

Last edited:
Why can't useful trade be rigorous?

Texas, you seem to be thinking that kids who want to play football at a particular program are only on a track to be pro football players and not legit students.

Well, that's true in the sense that I imagine them spending 6 hours a day plying their athletic trade and 2 hours working on academics.

Why do you think they'd only be spending 2 hours working on academics?

Interesting discussion although somewhat of a rehash of the american v. european higher education systems debate. Might be better off on a separate thread than in the football recruiting thread.

Back