• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Atlanta Braves Thread: HOF SMOLTZIE!

I literally haven't checked out FG since January and this trash article giving the Braves shit about the Collins/Blanco/Chavez deadline swap for Farnsworth/Ankiel from 4 years ago is one of their headlines.

www.fangraphs.com/blogs/i-wish-we-could-get-guys-like-that/

That was really random article. It took Chavez like 4 more years to be good, and Collins and Blanco have been merely okay. Farnsworth and Ankiel won Game 2 of the 2010 NLDS. I'm okay with that trade.

The JD Drew trade is the abomination, makes the Kenny Lofton trade look good.

Edit to say that the Mark Tex trade also sucked and I predicted that assbag would leave us. Always hated him and the stupid song that was made up for him.

There was plenty of criticism of those trades at the time they were made. The article is just weird and would never have been written if Chavez wasn't off to a nice start, never mind he was DFA'ed twice after the trade. Also, we traded Tex btw.

We need to figure out our fugging rotation.

At this point I'd rather go with Wood who is more or less a rookie at 5-6 with a 3.29 ERA than retread tater tot Gavin Floyd.

It's not like Floyd has pitched poorly. Last night was probably his first bad outing. 2 unearned on an error.

I went to the game last night and was rather unimpressed with Floyd. His stat line did not look as bad as it should have. He gave up 10 hits and should have given up more. I have not seen anything from him this year which makes me think he is better than Alex Wood or David Hale. Unfortunately, money talks and those guys are not signed to long term deals. I think we have a decent 4 in Minor, Tehran, Harang and Santana. Hale seems to have taken to the pen pretty well. Wood seems like a much better option to Floyd right now and I would expect FG to make that change at some point.

People love to hate on Drew, but he was an absolute MONSTER for the Braves that one year. Had a bRef WAR of 8.3, which was a better single season than Chipper ever had.

It is past time to give Cunningham and/or Terdo a chance as bench bats. Not counting Laird since he never pinch hits, our top OBP guy off bench is Pena, at a robust .268. We should at least send down/cut Schafer and give one of the two AAA guys a shot. They literally cannot be any worse.

Agreed on cutting Schafer. He was nice last year only because BJ sucked hard. I don't know if this would work, but I'd like to see Gosselin instead of Pena. But we don't want our starting 2B to be a rook & his back up to be one too. Maybe bring The Rev back up.

Bring back Glenn Hubbard as first base coach and emergency 2B.

Agreed on cutting Schafer. He was nice last year only because BJ sucked hard. I don't know if this would work, but I'd like to see Gosselin instead of Pena. But we don't want our starting 2B to be a rook & his back up to be one too. Maybe bring The Rev back up.

Pena's not going anywhere since he's solid (and versatile) defensively. Agree Schafer looks pretty much useless right now.

Looks like they grabbed two big upside high schoolers. I saw a mock that had Atlanta grabbing the pitcher with pick 32 and they got him at 66.

Looks like they grabbed two big upside high schoolers. I saw a mock that had Atlanta grabbing the pitcher with pick 32 and they got him at 66.

The guy they got at 32 (Braxton Davidson) is from my home town. Talked to several people that have seen him play and apparently he is a monster and can hit some massive bombs. He is already 6'3" 215 and he is only 17 years old.

He sounds nice too. Some had him late top 10 but he may not have a position. Both draftees are 17.

I read he has the top isolated power in the draft. key will be teaching him to play defense, hopefully a corner outfield but at least 1B.

We might have the two hottest hitters in baseball right now in JHey & tommy. Both are just raking.

We've won 2 out of 4 against the rockies with a 13-10 win last night....anyone else keeping up?

Back