• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

RSF,

Great work, and very useful. One column I would find of interest is the high school/city and state where these recruits are located. That way if somebody is close, it might encourage a little show of the colors in the stands next fall. A friend of mine taught at a middle school feeder to Hough HS (Cornelius/Charlotte NC). She taught one of the two guys from Hough mentioned on the other recruiting thread. Thank you.

Just got that added. We are going after an absurd amount of kids from Florida. I think we've offered around a dozen kids from the Tampa area alone, plus most of Jacksonville's Trinity Christian Academy. Nice to see Clawson's working hard to maintain that pipeline. (Though I've had a hard time distinguishing between Clawson targets from leftover Grobe recruits, so take that FWIW.)

If any of the staff needs a place to crash in Tampa, I've got room at the crib. Save some of that recruiting budget.

Notes on a few: Adam McLean (DL) his HS (Quince Orchard is in Gaithersburg, MD, so either he is going out of local HS area or his location should change. In with some pretty stiff competition there. Washington Post has him best class of 2014 (HS grad year) prospect in MD.

Saw that two kids from Gonzaga (DC) are on the Wake radar. Both are also on the WAPost Allmet watch list for next fall. Would be nice to get in with a third one there - OL Richie Pettibon. Get him to Wake, then get his Grandad to pass along a few pointers to the O-line coach.

Wake got Justin Herron from Bullis School in the class just signed. Couple of his team mates - RB Devonte Williams and DE Jonathan Holland - are also on the Allmet list. Don't know of any Wake interest, but at least they've heard of Wake. Also, being private, the academics are pretty good.

One other thing that I'm positive has already been discussed: We have two absolute monsters in our backyard. Obviously, we all know that Shy Tuttle (5* DT) is at North Davidson, but we also have Jalen Dalton (4* DE) at West Forsyth. Either kid would immediately become (easily) the highest rated player on our roster, so obviously we're a pretty unlikely landing spot, but it's nice to have two very highly rated players, at positions of need, so close to home. Maybe Clawson is a miracle worker?

One other thing that I'm positive has already been discussed: We have two absolute monsters in our backyard. Obviously, we all know that Shy Tuttle (5* DT) is at North Davidson, but we also have Jalen Dalton (4* DE) at West Forsyth. Either kid would immediately become (easily) the highest rated player on our roster, so obviously we're a pretty unlikely landing spot, but it's nice to have two very highly rated players, at positions of need, so close to home. Maybe Clawson is a miracle worker?

Jalen Dalton is overrated. He has potential and good size which is why he is a 4 star on ESPN. Shy Tuttle is a beast though

I saw a line where some ridiculously high percentage of kids who visited actually signed. That percentage is a number I would actually like to see go down some, for a good reason: target higher ranked kids, who have offers from other good schools. Bring in more, get some, but not as high a percentage. Would like to see the day when Wake's recruiting ranking is based on consensu 3 star and better signees.

I agree with that going forward. But given the timeline Clawson had to work with, identifying targets, getting 27 on campus and signing 22 of those is brilliant. Even more brilliant to do it in such a way that increased our recruit rating AND filled out every position to fill a team. It tells me they had a plan and executed it damn near perfectly. Given a full recruiting season, we absolutely should see more swings and misses as we go after kids Wake hasn't traditionally gone after. That said, Clawson also seems to get that we need to recruit from the pool of kids that a school like Stanford goes after, so I don't expect the swing and misses to be on the level of the bigger programs who are competing with 5-10 other "State" schools for a kid.

I assume that the 22 out of 27 stat includes Grobe commits who took their official visits after Clawson was hired.

Notes on a few: Adam McLean (DL) his HS (Quince Orchard is in Gaithersburg, MD, so either he is going out of local HS area or his location should change. In with some pretty stiff competition there. Washington Post has him best class of 2014 (HS grad year) prospect in MD.

Saw that two kids from Gonzaga (DC) are on the Wake radar. Both are also on the WAPost Allmet watch list for next fall. Would be nice to get in with a third one there - OL Richie Pettibon. Get him to Wake, then get his Grandad to pass along a few pointers to the O-line coach.

Wake got Justin Herron from Bullis School in the class just signed. Couple of his team mates - RB Devonte Williams and DE Jonathan Holland - are also on the Allmet list. Don't know of any Wake interest, but at least they've heard of Wake. Also, being private, the academics are pretty good.

McLean would be a sick get. He's listed at North Potomac on Rivals, Gaithersburg on ESPN, and Bethesda on 247. If he's in Bethesda, I'm assuming he found a way to play at QO for the exposure. I live right around QO, so I'll check him out if he's interested, but he'll be tough.

The Gonzaga recruiting pipeline would be a good one, but it'd be even better for basketball. Gonzaga and Bullis are both good academic schools, and I think Herron might be our first commit from the MD/DC area private schools. It'd be nice to get into the Dematha pipeline.

I'm working on a scholarship chart right now, so hopefully that should give us a better understanding of how many we go after next year. We'll know even more after spring ball, but this should be a good start.

McLean would be a sick get. He's listed at North Potomac on Rivals, Gaithersburg on ESPN, and Bethesda on 247. If he's in Bethesda, I'm assuming he found a way to play at QO for the exposure. I live right around QO, so I'll check him out if he's interested, but he'll be tough.

The Gonzaga recruiting pipeline would be a good one, but it'd be even better for basketball. Gonzaga and Bullis are both good academic schools, and I think Herron might be our first commit from the MD/DC area private schools. It'd be nice to get into the Dematha pipeline.

Soccer has done well in that area lately, right? I know we have a couple Gilman kids (and IIRC, a guy on football).

Scholarship #'s

These numbers are unofficial, but are my best estimate based on the Wake Forest website and player bio's/recruiting pages which would indicate if a player is on scholarship or not.

RS Freshmen: 15
Sophomores: 24
Juniors: 13
Seniors: 16
Total: 68

That senior number includes E.J. Scott. When you add in the 25 freshmen we just signed that brings our total up to 93, which means we will be 8 players over the scholarship count. Obviously some attrition will occur by the time the spring semester is finished either due to transfer or "early" graduation.

Scholarship #'s

These numbers are unofficial, but are my best estimate based on the Wake Forest website and player bio's/recruiting pages which would indicate if a player is on scholarship or not.

RS Freshmen: 15
Sophomores: 24
Juniors: 13
Seniors: 16
Total: 68

That senior number includes E.J. Scott. When you add in the 25 freshmen we just signed that brings our total up to 93, which means we will be 8 players over the scholarship count. Obviously some attrition will occur by the time the spring semester is finished either due to transfer or "early" graduation.

That means 8 players need to go from the projected scholarship list. It would take a lot of spring graduations to bring the numbers down enough -so some transfers and/or non-qualifiers among the signees and/or a few gray shirts will have to happen. Most of the rising seniors played pretty significant roles on the 2013 team. Those who don't and aren't going to are mostly gone already.

Sam Khan Jr. ‏@skhanjr 3m
New offers for 2 Houston-area prospects: #BoiseState for #ESPNJr300 CB Kendall Sheffield & #WakeForest offers #ESPNJr300 WR Kemah Siverand

Just a borderline Top150 player from Texas with a Texas offer. Get em.

That means 8 players need to go from the projected scholarship list. It would take a lot of spring graduations to bring the numbers down enough -so some transfers and/or non-qualifiers among the signees and/or a few gray shirts will have to happen. Most of the rising seniors played pretty significant roles on the 2013 team. Those who don't and aren't going to are mostly gone already.

The Claw knows who will be around in august.

I took Cumby's post a little further and made a scholarship table to see what we had going forward. I worked backwards from the team's official roster and cross-checked it with Signing Day pages from past years and player bios. I came up with the same numbers as he did, though I couldn't quite figure out whether or not Rocco Esposito, Nick Carp, Chase Wilson, Thomas Brown, and Neil Basford are on scholarship (I listed them as walk-ons).

Anyway. I added it into the first post, but it is this RATHER LARGE PICTURE. So sorry for that.

Last edited:
Back