• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

+2. If this is the case, changes need to be made immediately. Duke and Vandy are both rated higher academically than Wake.

A different standard - being NCAA eligible doesn't mean being WFU eligible.

This was one of the things JG had an issue with. Cutcliffe came in and made Duke change and now look.

Hopefully Clawson can get that fixed.

But how will elitist Wake fans justify losing?

A few updates:

S John Petrishen (2-star, five Power 5 conference offers, 28 total offers) is focused on Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest and Syracuse out of his current offers. Unfortunately Northwestern and Stanford are now lurking with Northwestern the more likely of the two to offer. This further goes to show the competition that we have for kids with 4.0 GPAs. His Hudl highlights are worth checking out if you haven’t done so.

S Dior Johnson (3-star, #24 safety in nation, two Power 5 conference offers, 10 total offers) is focused on his two Power 5 conference offers, Illinois and Wake Forest, as well as Cincinnati. He is also hoping for an Indiana offer, and getting positive feedback from Ohio State after he camped there. He clarified that he took had a visit/tour of Wake Forest following the camp that he attended in June. He has visited Illinois, intends to visit Cincinnati, and will likely visit Indiana if they offer. The last Rivals article was more balanced between his top 3 schools and I am now less convinced that Cincinnati leads. My guess is that he will choose a school primarily based on the strength of the football program. I haven’t seen much evidence that academics will be a key factor.

WR Freddie Simmons (3-star, #90 receiver in nation, five Power 5 conference offers, 11 total offers) is focused on Rutgers, Wake Forest and Virginia out of his current offers. From the last 247 article it is difficult to tell if Rutgers is still the leader. It is also hard to tell if Cal is still reciprocating interest. There a number of schools still involved that may eventually offer. I continue to think that he has a strong interest in playing in the Pac 12 if he can garner enough interest.

DL GG Robinson (3-star, seven Power 5 conference offers) seems determined to take his time with recruiting. I suspect that his recruitment will be heavily influenced by which schools still have spots available when he makes a decision. He did clarify that his preferred position is the 3-technique DE in a 3-4 defense, which would seem to make him a candidate for either DE or DT in Wake’s defense.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Doir's parents went to Illinois.

As of today, we have the 38th ranked football recruiting class on 24/7 and tied for 40th on Rivals. These are the highest rankings I've ever seen for us. Keep it up, staff!

Interesting. I was afraid the under the radar commits would keep us from moving up. Great news.

This got a lot of play on Dior Johnson's Twitter timeline today:

link

Last edited:
A few other items:

From Twitter (Phenom Hoops Report):

Jamie Shaw@JamieShaw5 · 12h

Wake Forest Defensive End commitment Phil Haynes (6'6/UBA) is a load inside. Great hands, hips, & lots of want #PHGrindSession

From the Detroit News:

"Scout’s South Carolina prep expert Kerry Fair believes the improvements Arcega-Whiteside has made through the last few years could have him adding even more offers and moving up the recruiting rankings.

“He’s a big target who has dramatically grown in terms of weight and speed between the end of his sophomore season and now heading into his senior season,” Fair said. “Don't be surprised to see him push well past 20-plus when other schools see him and, in the process, should add a fourth star.”

Will he also add himself to the Michigan State class?

“I really do like MSU’s chances with this kid,” Wilson says. “He had been moving up the board as a player MSU was interested in, and the offer puts them firmly in the mix.”

link

From Quarvez Boulware's Twitter (right around the time he was supposed to have visited Wake):

Quarvez Boulware@Truth__55 · Jul 1

I wana do it but then I don't... gota think through some things

Last edited:
Duke has the 25th best class last timeI looked, ahead of even Florida and some other well known programs...i

A lot of the top recruits haven't committed yet I would assume. So the big time programs will still get theirs.

A lot of the top recruits haven't committed yet I would assume. So the big time programs will still get theirs.

Many of the big programs are waiting on the hat pickers and these ratings have a lot to do with numbers so things will change- not to say that our recruiting is not a much welcome improvement. Still we need to RBs and show we can recruit to need.

More developments last night on the Freddie Simmons front. He named a Top 5 yesterday which may be the final five. Scout then published an article with quotes from Simmons about his top 5. Based on those quotes, I think Wake Forest may have a slight lead over Rutgers. Virginia will get an unofficial visit right before he makes his decision. I wrote an updated profile summary this morning:

Freddie Simmons Jr (6’3/175 WR) – Bethlehem, PA

Rating: 3-star (5.6 numerical), Rivals #90 WR in nation, #15 player in PA

BCS Offers: Wake Forest (March 25), Cal (March 7), Purdue (February 20), Rutgers (March 1), Kansas and Virginia (April 2)

Nike Combine: 20-yard shuttle 4.41, vertical 32.9, kneeling power ball 33.0 (also measured 6’3 and 176 lbs)

Background profile: Simmons has been a target of BCS schools primarily because of his height/speed combo. The Nike combine in the spring confirmed his 6’3 height. Finished 2nd in the state in the 300 hurdles at the AAA level (37.82 seconds, 3rd fastest time ever for his region). Also qualified for state semi-finals in 110 hurdles, just missing qualification for the 8 man final. Has played only one year of high school football (he had been playing basketball), but demonstrated that he is an instinctive playmaker. After a slow start to the season he finished with 50 receptions for 700 yards and 11 TD’s.

Recruitment: Several BCS schools, including Wake Forest, jumped in with offers late-winter and early-spring, but since then his list of BCS offers has held steady with the exception of adding Kansas. He very recently named a top 5 of Wake Forest, Rutgers, Virginia, Cal and San Diego State. He reverse-recruited Cal, and has noted on several occasions that his dream was to play college football on the West Coast. However, it is unclear how strong Cal’s interest is at this point. Previously named Rutgers as his early leader. Camped at UNC and Duke but did not obtain offers from either.
Simmons visited Wake on June 12, tweeting 3 times including a pic of BB&T Field with the caption “In Love”. He told Scout that the visit really opened his eyes to how great of a school Wake really is. Called the coaches “amazing” and said that they had consistently been there in his recruitment “since Day 1”. He says that he is closer to Coach Higgins than any other WR coach. He is being recruited for the "X-receiver" position.
He plans to visit Virginia on July 21 and then make a decision shortly after.

I'm as impressed as the rest of you with this staffs ability to find and bring in talent. The work that they've done since hitting the ground is remarkable. That said, we need to see what they can do in developement of the players we already have. I can go on and on about the old staff and player developement, but we really need it from this staff. If not, it will be several years before we're competitive.

Here is an update on the # of commits that other programs have. Commit #’s are a factor of recruiting momentum, but also strategy (i.e. how many scholarships do you want to leave open for late season opportunities) and targeted class size. As a previous poster noted, the bigger programs have to leave scholarships open for the hat-flippers as well. I used the list of programs that we had the most overlapping offers with (from my late-May count). I have also noted where we have key remaining recruits that have overlapping offers. You can decide where doors may have closed on some of these players.

Significant overlapping offers are in parens

Boston College: 23 commits (Marcus Marshall, Jay Stocker)
Duke: 17 commits (Jay Stocker, Justin Strnad)
Indiana: 10 commits (Jay Stocker, plus Dior Johnson if they offer)
Syracuse: 19 commits (Jay Stocker, Johnny Petrishen, GG Robinson)
Virginia: 9 commits (Freddie Simmons Jr, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Johnny Petrishen, Jay Stocker, GG Robinson)
Illinois: 10 commits (Jay Stocker, Dior Johnson, Justin Strnad)
Georgia Tech: 12 commits (Jay Stocker, JJ Arcega-Whiteside)
Rutgers: 16 commits (Freddie Simmons, Lawrence Cager and Jay Stocker)
Maryland: 16 commits (Jay Stocker)

Last edited:
Many of the big programs are waiting on the hat pickers and these ratings have a lot to do with numbers so things will change- not to say that our recruiting is not a much welcome improvement. Still we need to RBs and show we can recruit to need.

Maybe. I think many of those hat pickers will go to schools already ahead of us so it won't change our ranking too much.

Back