• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Johnny Petrishen and Freddie Simmons both posted pics this weekend of 30-for-30 mailings from Wake. Both were huge hits on Twitter. The Petrishen one is the best one yet in my opinion. Need to acknowledge that the staff is hitting home runs in this department.

This has been one of the bigger turnarounds in the recruiting area. Seems the staff has a very good grasp of how to cater recruiting pitches that resonate with recruits.

I have heard that Duke no longer has a foreign language requirement. Also have heard that some Duke students can take courses at N. C. Central. Am I correct ?
Heard this from a very reliable source.

The class of 2016 has the possibility to be good for us.

If we could get Austin Kendell, Divine Deablo and one of the running backs that would be great!

Not really Wake-related, but Austin Kendall committed to Tennessee. Really starting to see the beginning of the 2016 recruiting cycle. Already.

I have heard that Duke no longer has a foreign language requirement. Also have heard that some Duke students can take courses at N. C. Central. Am I correct ?
Heard this from a very reliable source.

The NC Central thing has been going on for a while. That's how they keep pumping out bball players with degrees in 3 years

Ahhh! A Duke thread, how very nice! Can't get enough of that.

Johnny Petrishen tells Rivals that he is basically focused on Wake, Virginia and Pitt. It also says that both Penn State and Northwestern have begun to recruit him although neither of those two have offered at this point. I get the sense that he might be holding off as long as he can to see if he can get an offer from either one. However, he does make clear in the article that he is going to have to commit sooner rather than later before remaining spots fill up. I had been estimating a Fall decision from Johnny, but now think we will get a decision sometime in August.

The most interesting thing in the article was that he's been told by all of his top schools that they have at least one spot left for a safety. For that to be true for Wake, I think that the staff must have at least 4 more 'ships left to give in total for the 2015 class.

I would assume that the staff would not take both Dior Johnson and Petrishen unless Rector decommits, as that would mean 4 safeties in the class (not counting the Rover)

2015 FB Recruiting: LB Nate Mays joins #theaWAKEning

An article on one aspect of the Jake Bargas recruitment that I think many of you will find interesting:
link

I noticed that Freddie Simmons posted his offer letters from Cal, Purdue and Virginia on Twitter here:
link

I thought they were interesting to read. I hadn’t seen an offer letter before. Some observations:

The Cal letter is the most impressive looking. The UVA letter is the most bland.

All three letters list circumstances where the offer could be revoked. All require continued high-level athletic performance at the high-school level. UVA’s letter is the most detailed in that department (reading like a credit card disclosure statement).

Virginia’s letter says specifically that it is a FOUR-year scholarship offer.

Virginia’s letter is dated August 1 (very recent).

Cal’s letter includes the head coach’s personal cell phone #.....in case any of you want to give him a call tonight.

Edited to add: Bargas article had an interesting fact that explains why the Simmons UVA letter is dated August 1. Friday was the first day that schools could issue written offer letters under NCAA rules. So every offer from every school to every player in the 2015 class was verbal-only until last Friday. The article points out that the rule is helping to fuel the blanket offering approaches (where Louisville has reportedly been the worst offender).

Last edited:
ESPN reported that half the Clemson class had signed their letters already. I'll call the Cal coach when my alarm clock goes off tomorrow morning.

An article on one aspect of the Jake Bargas recruitment that I think many of you will find interesting:
link

I noticed that Freddie Simmons posted his offer letters from Cal, Purdue and Virginia on Twitter here:
link

I thought they were interesting to read. I hadn’t seen an offer letter before. Some observations:

The Cal letter is the most impressive looking. The UVA letter is the most bland.

All three letters list circumstances where the offer could be revoked. All require continued high-level athletic performance at the high-school level. UVA’s letter is the most detailed in that department (reading like a credit card disclosure statement).

Virginia’s letter says specifically that it is a FOUR-year scholarship offer.

Virginia’s letter is dated August 1 (very recent).

Cal’s letter includes the head coach’s personal cell phone #.....in case any of you want to give him a call tonight.

Edited to add: Bargas article had an interesting fact that explains why the Simmons UVA letter is dated August 1. Friday was the first day that schools could issue written offer letters under NCAA rules. So every offer from every school to every player in the 2015 class was verbal-only until last Friday. The article points out that the rule is helping to fuel the blanket offering approaches (where Louisville has reportedly been the worst offender).

It's gonna be awesome in a few years when Bargas makes Cutcliffe regret his decision. GO DEACS!

The author of the Bargas piece dismisses social media too easily. Rivals doesn't have an official tally of commits. In 2007, they interviewed players, coaches, family members, handlers, and sources from inside programs to confirm offers. In 2014, they do that and follow Twitter. There's much more information now. The official letter rule probably plays a role in all this but he shouldn't discount that it is much easier to get info straight from players.

On a different note, remember 4 or 5 years ago when it looked like Scout and maybe other sites were hiring hot college girls to do recruiting interviews and reports? Did that stop? If so, was it because of the rise of Twitter?

2015 FB Recruiting: LB Nate Mays joins #theaWAKEning

Ever since someone posted that great article several weeks ago on blanket offering, I will laugh when I read that someone has a Louisville offer.

Last edited:
The author of the Bargas piece dismisses social media too easily. Rivals doesn't have an official tally of commits. In 2007, they interviewed players, coaches, family members, handlers, and sources from inside programs to confirm offers. In 2014, they do that and follow Twitter. There's much more information now. The official letter rule probably plays a role in all this but he shouldn't discount that it is much easier to get info straight from players.

On a different note, remember 4 or 5 years ago when it looked like Scout and maybe other sites were hiring hot college girls to do recruiting interviews and reports? Did that stop? If so, was it because of the rise of Twitter?

That was Lane Kiffin doing it to Tennessee commits. It kind of blow up with some lineman he was after from S Carolina. That ended it.

I would imagine we would offer a 4* WR in our backyard.

Back