• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Yeah, there's a ton of Hinton conversation on this thread. Most people in here are very, very high on him.

Next year will probably be a three win season. I would rather Hinton redshirt and learn the system than be thrown straight into a lost year. But since we don't have a quality back up a redshirt won't happen.

I am still trying to find visitors for the VT game, but here is what has been noted so far for the 2015 class. All are official visits.

Uncommitted: Lawrence Cager, Nyheim Hines and maybe Marcus Marshall (I have seen two different dates published for his official visit, November 22 and a December date)

Committed: Steven Claude and Tabari Hines

Next year will probably be a three win season.

I agree with this. In his press conference today Clawson said "we are young now and getting younger" in reference to the fact that 40 of the 85 players next year will be true freshman or redshirt freshmen. I expect there will be even fewer seniors on next years team than this year's.

I am still trying to find visitors for the VT game, but here is what has been noted so far for the 2015 class. All are official visits.

Uncommitted: Lawrence Cager, Nyheim Hines and maybe Marcus Marshall (I have seen two different dates published for his official visit, November 22 and a December date)

Committed: Steven Claude and Tabari Hines

I forgot to add that Quarvez Boulware might be there as well on an unofficial visit. Is this without a doubt the biggest recruiting weekend in Clawson's short tenure? The answer might depend on how many of the "maybes" are actually there (Marshall, Boulware and 2016 QB Haskins)

I think 3 wins is being optimistic. We could be looking at a one win season. The only win that I'm sure of on the schedule is Elon. I think we might beat Army on the road and sneak another win somewhere else.

Give Clawson time. Once he gets the program established I think Clawson could maintain a program whose floor is a .500 season here.

I really wish we could have loaded up the non-conference schedule with FCS teams to artificially inflate the win total next season.

Trading ULM and USU for Notre Dame and Indiana isn't going to help. Clawson must get the OL to play well. To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Bill Ard and Joe Looney aren't walking through that door". So he must make a line out of the players we have. First, get stronger and more flexible. Find a style that they can do well, not your BGSU style that leaves them last in the NCAA. It could be "4 pt Oklahoma", or 2 pt pass happy. What ever works. We can't bet the ranch on a bunch of 4* 18 yr olds to come and save us. It ain't happening. This is why Claw is paid 2.2 mil, not 450K. If after 2 seasons, we have paid him over $1,000,000 a win, his seat will start to glow.

Trading ULM and USU for Notre Dame and Indiana isn't going to help. Clawson must get the OL to play well. To paraphrase Rick Pitino "Bill Ard and Joe Looney aren't walking through that door". So he must make a line out of the players we have. First, get stronger and more flexible. Find a style that they can do well, not your BGSU style that leaves them last in the NCAA. It could be "4 pt Oklahoma", or 2 pt pass happy. What ever works. We can't bet the ranch on a bunch of 4* 18 yr olds to come and save us. It ain't happening. This is why Claw is paid 2.2 mil, not 450K. If after 2 seasons, we have paid him over $1,000,000 a win, his seat will start to glow.

Say what now?

Yeah, I call bullshit on that one. AFAIK, the details of Claw's contract were never released, so we likely won't have any hard data until the 990 for 7/1/14-6/30/15 is released (or maybe its the 7/1/13-6/30/14 990 - can't remember exactly when he was hired and what the rules are for reporting highly compensated employees - I know you get to use calendar year figures for salary, even though you report on a fiscal year). On the 990 for 7/1/12-6/30/13, Grobe's salary was $2.25 million, so I think Coaches Hot Seat just took Grobe's salary and replaced Grobe with Clawson. I highly doubt we went to $2.25 million with Clawson when he was making right around $400,000 at BGSU (before the contract extension - not sure what his raise was, but I can't imagine they doubled his salary, but who knows).

Last edited:
The number I remember hearing was $1.5M. Not sure how legit that is. I would hope we didn't just give him the salary Grobe got after winning an ACC Championship.

Pretty sure we have.

Despite a strong push from Florida and Georgia OL Emanuel McGirt decided to stay in-state and commit to NCSU. He is very close with Nyheim Hines. They had previously discussed the potential for a package deal. During some of his post-commitment interviews McGirt sounded confident that Hines will ultimately commit to the Wolfpack.

Vanderbilt's Rivals writer says the Vandy staff thinks Marcus Marshall is leaning towards Vandy.

Wake's Rivals site is reporting that a number of top 2016 recruits that I covered in the 2016 thread will also attend the game this weekend. Just a huge day on Saturday.

Back