• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

How perfect is it that TRAVOLTA showed up and was all creepy? We need rjkarl back.

Run, Benedict Cumberbatch! Run for your life!

tumblr_inline_n1uhx4KyTR1s9mg8r.jpg

What a rug on Travolta

Did you guys see the pic of him on reddit a couple weeks ago where he's in the gym at like 3am? He's almost completely bald then he shows up last night with this ridiculous head of hair. More blatant than LeBron.

#baldhottakesfrombuckets

So the best actor/actress went to actors portraying real people overcoming some sort of debilitating disease and best picture went to a movie about acting.

Chalk.

Hey, at least the Holocaust didn't make an appearance this year

So the best actor/actress went to actors portraying real people overcoming some sort of debilitating disease and best picture went to a movie about acting.

Chalk.

Do you agree with the picks?

I'm reserving comment until I watch Birdman.

I liked Birdman, but am a little salty because Boyhood really hit the dad chord in me and it was my favorite movie last year. But, ultimately it's the Oscars, so WGAF? It wasn't Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

I liked Birdman, but am a little salty because Boyhood really hit the dad chord in me and it was my favorite movie last year. But, ultimately it's the Oscars, so WGAF? It wasn't Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

Do you drive a minivan?

Not yet. Wife drives a Flex, so I think I may have dodged that bullet.

Serious question: would Boyhood be a great movie without the 12-year filming gimmick? Or would it just be a run-of-the-mill, coming of age family story? I can't decide if it's worth it for me to watch it.

I'll also say that Birdman wasn't all that great. The cinematography was excellent, as were the performances from Norton and Keaton, but as a film... eh.

You can't take that "gimmick" away from it though. It's a huge part of what makes it so unique and special. It has never been done before and likely will never will be again. If Boyhood was a late fall release it would have won more awards. It's summer momentum had virtually disappeared by the Oscars.

Serious question: would Boyhood be a great movie without the 12-year filming gimmick? Or would it just be a run-of-the-mill, coming of age family story? I can't decide if it's worth it for me to watch it.

I'll also say that Birdman wasn't all that great. The cinematography was excellent, as were the performances from Norton and Keaton, but as a film... eh.

I also don't think it was a "run-of-the-mill, coming of age family story" in that a lot of the moments the film highlights in his life are smaller, subtle moments (he's hiking with his dad, putting up campaign signs, shooting the shit with his buddies in an abandoned house, riding somewhere with his dad disappointed that his dad sold his car). I just thought it was a great movie.

You can't take that "gimmick" away from it though. It's a huge part of what makes it so unique and special. It has never been done before and likely will never will be again. If Boyhood was a late fall release it would have won more awards. It's summer momentum had virtually disappeared by the Oscars.

And that's what is BS about the Oscars. Boyhood is just as good now as it was when it was released- the timing of the release shouldn't impact how many awards it wins.

And that's what is BS about the Oscars. Boyhood is just as good now as it was when it was released- the timing of the release shouldn't impact how many awards it wins.

You could say that about pretty much every award - just look at HOF voting.

That said, wasn't the Grand Budapest Hotel released in the spring? Seems like it's more about marketing during Oscar voting time than momentum.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/23/opinion/reyes-penn-oscar-remarks/index.html

Without stepping in to the #tunnels, am I the only one in America who took Penn's joke for what it was? As in, this is what stupid americans say about mexicans and look at this guy and what he accomplished. Most people seem to think he was just going for cheap laughs...

I feel like this flew way over the head of people. Can't believe how many people were offended by that. It was a compliment with a political point, in poor taste, but on purpose. Its called being facetious. I guess I just don't understand why it backfired so badly. Just, wow.

Last edited:

What does this even mean? Do you get paid by the hour to not watch critically-acclaimed movies? If that's the case, definitely skip it. :wtf:

Back