• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/23/opinion/reyes-penn-oscar-remarks/index.html

Without stepping in to the #tunnels, am I the only one in America who took Penn's joke for what it was? As in, this is what stupid americans say about mexicans and look at this guy and what he accomplished. Most people seem to think he was just going for cheap laughs...

I feel like this flew way over the head of people. Can't believe how many people were offended by that. It was a compliment with a political point, in poor taste, but on purpose. Its called being facetious. I guess I just don't understand why it backfired so badly. Just, wow.

It's a stupid opinion piece, but Penn's joke was a bit over the top, even though they've known each other for years. It was more appropriate for the after party.

Penn's joke was harmless fun, he's a huge Commie Lib and his joke seemed like an obvious crack on the conservative stance on Mexicans taking 'er jorbs
I can understand how some people would get upset about it though.

Last edited:
Penn's joke was harmless fun, he's a huge Commie Lib and his joke seemed like an obvious crack on the conservative stance on Mexicans taking 'er jorbs
I can understand how some people would get upset about it though.

Yeah, he obviously wasn't poking fun at Mexicans.

I know there was a considerable amount of hype for Steve Carell in Foxcatcher, but to me, Mark Ruffalo shone brightest in that film. He alone salvaged many of those emotional scenes with Tatum (who disappointed).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/23/opinion/reyes-penn-oscar-remarks/index.html

Without stepping in to the #tunnels, am I the only one in America who took Penn's joke for what it was? As in, this is what stupid americans say about mexicans and look at this guy and what he accomplished. Most people seem to think he was just going for cheap laughs...

I feel like this flew way over the head of people. Can't believe how many people were offended by that. It was a compliment with a political point, in poor taste, but on purpose. Its called being facetious. I guess I just don't understand why it backfired so badly. Just, wow.

Very few people have a "let's laugh at ourselves" sense of humor when it comes to race. That's part of the problem.

Back