• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

have you guys seen the movie? bc exactly zero of the actual reviews of the movies indicate that type of tone

Yeah I saw it, as I said, it's a low level The Hurt Locker, extremely straightforward, it just goes through the motions: war scene, war scene, he goes home, his wife says he's distant, war scene, war scene, goes back home, rinse and repeat.

I don't have a problem with it per se (they shoot it entirely from his perspective so all he sees are faceless evil Arabs and shoots them up like a video game), but a certain type of person is going to get hard watching it and get super pumped as head after head is blown off.

I don't have a problem with it per se (they shoot it entirely from his perspective so all he sees are faceless evil Arabs and shoots them up like a video game), but a certain type of person is going to get hard watching it and get super pumped as head after head is blown off.

Same people have the same reaction watching Private Ryan, We were Soldiers even Band of Brothers.

Same people have the same reaction watching Private Ryan, We were Soldiers even Band of Brothers.

The actual war scenes in those are "war is hell." These battle scenes are more "war is fucking bad ass bro", although it does show how it fucks up Kyle's head back in the States.

That jives with his book, he's the Michael Jordan of snipers so obviously he's gonna look like a bad ass in the field of battle BUT the point of it is to show that it was tearing him up inside as it would anyone.

Then to be murdered by another soldier w/ severe PTSD, sets itself up for a movie. An American tragedy and it really happened in real life, crazy.

I don't disagree. That was always going to happen if you adapt a movie off of an American sniper autobiography with 200 kills. But in those other movies as well there is some shading of moral ambiguity with the enemy, not here at all. Just about every Arab is this movie is evil as shit... including women and children. You think they'll show the other side for a second when a guy invites them to eat dinner with them while they are doing house checks, but no he is evil too, and gets blown away as he deserves in due time.

The actual enemy we face is pure evil but yeah that is a miss by the writers and Eastwood to not at least give a good side of the Iraqis.

Every interview I've seen and article i've read about Kyle showed him to be a redneck sociopath who was a very good soldier and legendary sniper. I'm not interested in any movie that glorifies him.

Every interview I've seen and article i've read about Kyle showed him to be a redneck sociopath who was a very good soldier and legendary sniper. I'm not interested in any movie that glorifies him.

Did you enjoy The Wolf of Wall Street?

I felt like it was clear we should come away from that movie loathing Jordan Belfort. I'm interested in what Eastwood does w/ Chris Kyle.

Chris Kyle is clearly to be admired in this movie, he has no flaws other than PTSD which he gets over by helping troubled veterans, which made the one line in the script when he called all Iraqi's savages curious.

American tragedy? Let's not go overboard in our flag waving here.

Chris Kyle is clearly to be admired in this movie, he has no flaws other than PTSD which he gets over by helping troubled veterans, which made the one line in the script when he called all Iraqi's savages curious.

Because that's what he called them in his autobiography.

Back