• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

We sent Chris Kyle to the Middle East to defend you, and he went. If you could have done a better job, why didn't you go in his place?
Impressive that he was defending himself, football fields away from targets unaware of his presence, and me - thousands of miles and an ocean away from his targets. Would you describe armed tactical drones, or their operators as "defending themselves"?

Impressive that he was defending himself, football fields away from targets unaware of his presence, and me - thousands of miles and an ocean away from his targets. Would you describe armed tactical drones, or their operators as "defending themselves"?

Everyone knows the best defense is a good offense

Its way more impressive than anything you've ever done, so STFU.

For anyone who has been paying attention, Clint Eastwood has been making corny, schmaltzy uninteresting movies for more than a decade now. Not sure why you would expect some sort of nuanced take.

Either way, a shitty movie is no reason to insult a decorated veteran. Get some fucking perspective.

so now we're taking the entire role of sniper to task? bring back the gladius, I say

Its way more impressive than anything you've ever done, so STFU.

For anyone who has been paying attention, Clint Eastwood has been making corny, schmaltzy uninteresting movies for more than a decade now. Not sure why you would expect some sort of nuanced take.

Either way, a shitty movie is no reason to insult a decorated veteran. Get some fucking perspective.
Learn how to fucking read TAB, my problem is with jhmd's terminology, not with Kyle or the US military.

If there's one thing we can be absolutely sure of, it is that Islamic extremism poses no threat to western civilization..

If there's one thing we can be absolutely sure of, it is that Islamic extremism poses no threat to western civilization..
Not gonna hash out the effectiveness of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan on the Oscars thread, we've got a whole other board for the topic. My only purpose in arguing with your terminology was to point out it's relation to the unsubtle hero worship of modern military films, which are fair and common criticisms. It appears that American Sniper is guilty of the same.

Last edited:
weird to think that modern military movies are hero worshiping given the genre

ITT: #hottakes about a movie you haven't seen
I already thought Kyle was a redneck sociopath, but I'll be sure to redbox it in a couple months and let you know if my presumptions about Eastwoods direction were wrong.

I already thought Kyle was a redneck sociopath, but I'll be sure to redbox it in a couple months and let you know if my presumptions about Eastwoods direction were wrong.

Not just you... just funny that people are invested in defending or criticizing this movie without having seen it, or just want to argue. Especially when the convo got kicked off with "have you seen the movie?"

Your presumptions are wrong.

I felt like a lot of the film was depicting the horrors of war rather than glorify it although to be fair they certainly could have developed that theme more fully.

I think they showed that he was a flawed man in that he abandoned his family to continue going over to Iraq and was not a very good father.

Your presumptions are wrong.

I felt like a lot of the film was depicting the horrors of war rather than glorify it although to be fair they certainly could have developed that theme more fully.

I think they showed that he was a flawed man in that he abandoned his family to continue going over to Iraq and was not a very good father.

woah, you saw the movie.

The film says God, country, family... in that order. Debatable if you think that's a flaw for a lot of people.

In the movie Chris Kyle says "God, country, family" in that order. It hurts his family but that is another part of his sacrifice. The movie doesn't show he's necessarily wrong.

Pretty fucked up that Martin Luther King lost out to "American Sniper". That's a bad look, Oscars.

Back