• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

Your presumptions are wrong.

I felt like a lot of the film was depicting the horrors of war rather than glorify it although to be fair they certainly could have developed that theme more fully.

I think they showed that he was a flawed man in that he abandoned his family to continue going over to Iraq and was not a very good father.
I'll see it eventually and form my own take then. I've seen 167 releases from 2014. I read the reviews for all of them, and I follow the reviewers whom my tastes most closely align.

I'll see it eventually and form my own take then. I've seen 167 releases from 2014. I read the reviews for all of them, and I follow the reviewers whom my tastes most closely align.

Wow. That's impressive.

It's a hobby. Townie listens to 400 albums a year, I watch 150 movies a year. Just finished Men, Women, and Children. It's overwrought, clichéd, and 30 minutes too long. D+

It's not even Chad Kultgen's best book

The first two reviews raised valid points but this one is just total bullshit.

It comes off as if he hates it because Eastwood is a conservative and he thinks it is a conservative movie.

I think the point on moral clarity is interesting because one of the lines in the movie that supports that position is nearly word for word what my brother said when he came home from Afghanistan so I don't think that it's just Eastwood's rah rah 'merica bullshit. I think that is how a lot of people actually feel.

Trying to decide what I'd rather see: Inherent Vice, Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, Theory of Everything, Selma, or Wild.

Would prefer Inherent Vice, but I've not really heard from anyone who liked it. After that, sort of inclined to see Wild because of Nick Hornby and Reese Witherspoon.

Trying to decide what I'd rather see: Inherent Vice, Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, Theory of Everything, Selma, or Wild.

Would prefer Inherent Vice, but I've not really heard from anyone who liked it. After that, sort of inclined to see Wild because of Nick Hornby and Reese Witherspoon.

Haven't seen any but my order of preference to watch is IV, Foxcatcher, Selma, IG, ToE, Wild.

I have revised my top 10 list after seeing The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash:

1. Birdman
2. Nightcrawler
3. Calvary
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
5. Boyhood
6. Selma
7. The Guest
8. Blue Ruin
9. Whiplash
10. Snowpiercer

My next 10 would be: Skeleton Twins, The Theory of Everything, The Babadook, Under The Skin, Borgman, Dawn of The Planet of the Apes, The Imitation Game, Obvious Child, I Origins, and Edge of Tomorrow

Your presumptions are wrong.

I felt like a lot of the film was depicting the horrors of war rather than glorify it although to be fair they certainly could have developed that theme more fully.

I think they showed that he was a flawed man in that he abandoned his family to continue going over to Iraq and was not a very good father.

woah, you saw the movie.

The film says God, country, family... in that order. Debatable if you think that's a flaw for a lot of people.

Saw the movie last night. I thought it depicted Kyle as a great soldier and an American hero, but a flawed man. I think the film was pretty clear that it wanted the audience to think of Kyle as a hero, but left the audience to take its own stance on the type of person Kyle was

it'd be nice if we could just respect and honor soldiers for their sacrifices and service but not hold them to be heroes

I remember when Grand Budapest came out, and many of you raised similar complaints about it as you currently have with Inherent Vice. Mainly the story being messy and the movie taking a long time to not really go anywhere. I wonder what has changed since then, as many of you seem to rate GBH highly but didn't like Inherent Vice.

I enjoyed both, but didn't come away thinking that either movie was a top flight film.

Last edited:
it was a superlighthearted joke bc you posted it in this thread instead of the wakefanatic top 10 thread

i got no probs with you though our tastes don't overlap often #fuck808s

Back